Pats FA thread

Yes, that's kind of what i was thinking, except I could see KVN moving inside given a HT injury. I like Bentley, but right now ILB is IMO the weakest link on defense and I'd like to see someone other than him as first backup so KVN can play outside, though there are only 2 edges and we have plenty of edge rushers now...What an odd thing that is for us :)

Yes, just looked up his #'s. He's a big boy, bigger than Van Noy, just about HT/Vrabel sized. This will be an interesting tc/preseason.
Van Noy isn't going inside. Not on a BB defense. Need a thumper in there. Dugger backing them up from SS.

Last edited:
In the draft, there are a few decent hybrid linebacker/safety "tweeners". BB should be also getting a few more there too.

I think BB realizing that his draft class the last couple years have been big disappointments. . Your seeing that with all the FA moves.

Last edited:
Right, we've got Hightower on the inside. We have a thousand edge rushers. Not sure who can cover TEs/RBs out of that group. I like what BB has been doing forcing OL to block in space by having fewer down lineman, and we have a collection of folks that could lean into that this year.

...I need an updated depth chart for the defense, and then some time to morph that into what it looks like in all the various fronts the Patriots throw out there.

Absolutely. The 2-5-4/3-3-5 alignment is alive and well in Foxboro. Sometimes it looks like a 6-5 but ends up as a 2-2-7 with 1 high at the snap. It worked well in 2018-'19 on passing downs and now that the D is good again, it should work well for this year. BB loves those S hybrids and now he has 3 of them in Phillips, Duggar and Mills. I'm hopeful.

Last edited:
Now go all out to draft Mac the Knife or Lance whichever they feel could be the guy for the next decade.

What's great is you have players who want to be here, the kind of players where the Patriots Way just suits them and they excel in it.

KVN and Brown both back after making some nice coin elsewhere and both want to be here. Andrews got his wish according to reports and stays here. No doubt he could have more money elsewhere.

It seems like to have these players who suit the Patriots but they know the team just does not pay top dollar, so they leave for a year to two to make some money but they're almost saying to Bill, keep the engine running, just let me make some coin and I'll be back.

What's great is you have players who want to be here, the kind of players where the Patriots Way just suits them and they excel in it.

KVN and Brown both back after making some nice coin elsewhere and both want to be here. Andrews got his wish according to reports and stays here. No doubt he could have more money elsewhere.

It seems like to have these players who suit the Patriots but they know the team just does not pay top dollar, so they leave for a year to two to make some money but they're almost saying to Bill, keep the engine running, just let me make some coin and I'll be back.
Pats payed top dollar this year more than I have ever seen them. I am kind of wondering what Andrews got for money.

Pats payed top dollar this year more than I have ever seen them. I am kind of wondering what Andrews got for money.

It was the perfect storm for the the Pats/BB.
  • BB felt the need to act before the new TV deal was announced when players would begin to ask for more money & short deals
  • money to spend when few other teams had money
  • most teams had to drop players to get under the cap
  • Pats had glaring needs

It all came together nicely. Agholor is the one player BB may have spent too much on. Let's see what teams pay the remaining FA WRs before saying that, though.

It was the perfect storm for the the Pats/BB.
  • BB felt the need to act before the new TV deal was announced when players would begin to ask for more money & short deals
  • money to spend when few other teams had money
  • most teams had to drop players to get under the cap
  • Pats had glaring needs

It all came together nicely. Agholor is the one player BB may have spent too much on. Let's see what teams pay the remaining FA WRs before saying that, though.
I mean I dont think he overspent on anyone, just that there were not a lot of 3rd week bargains like usual.

You get the impression don't you that the front office put in some epic work on this FA class. There seems to be a story brewing about this, they had a plan and worked it out to nth degree and then sprung it and caught everyone by surprise. Nelson Agholor was interviewed by patriots.com and he said it, the Patriots had a plan for FA and to be part of that is really great. As chevss said, it was the perfect storm, a very unusual situation where you had league cap number significantly down with the Patriots having big cap space and dire need to fill holes.

It's far too early to say if this will work, we've often been the first to point the finger at other teams and say you win nothing in March. But with Bill and team at the helm, you're inclined to believe this is different as Bill knows exactly the kind of player he wants here. Some of them may not deliver on the promise, but if I was a betting man, I would say most will. They wouldn't be spending like this without some serious background and research being done.

You get the impression don't you that the front office put in some epic work on this FA class. There seems to be a story brewing about this, they had a plan and worked it out to nth degree and then sprung it and caught everyone by surprise. Nelson Agholor was interviewed by patriots.com and he said it, the Patriots had a plan for FA and to be part of that is really great. As chevss said, it was the perfect storm, a very unusual situation where you had league cap number significantly down with the Patriots having big cap space and dire need to fill holes.

It's far too early to say if this will work, we've often been the first to point the finger at other teams and say you win nothing in March. But with Bill and team at the helm, you're inclined to believe this is different as Bill knows exactly the kind of player he wants here. Some of them may not deliver on the promise, but if I was a betting man, I would say most will. They wouldn't be spending like this without some serious background and research being done.
I mean I don't think it was some mastermind plan. The team wasnt good, they had a lot of cap space. The only thing that surprised is that they did it. We have went into offseasons with heavy cap space before and still did the wait and see what player with one hamstring but a high motor would drop. I guess Bill never felt we had to go crazy in FA before on day one like he did this year. Usually FA period consists of....ok why are we not getting anyone, all these teams are grabbing players right and left, ok there goes another guy we could have used. WHy does Bill hate receivers, we signed who??? lol

Yeah we have been there laughing at teams piling up first day FA's before, but we really have never been one of those teams that had to do that. No matter in the past what we had, we always had a core of players that could make up for lack of talent in places. We just didnt have that anymore.

Back