Poll: New Helmet Rule

What is your opinion of the new helmet rule?

• It's about time the NFL did something about all the concussions

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • The this rule is the epitome of over-officiating - not the game I love.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • The new rules strike a good balance bn safety and excitement.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vague rule makes it impossible for a player (much less a ref) to know what's legal and what's not

Votes: 22 75.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There are so many rules now about every single little thing, it's becoming harder and harder for the players to actually PLAY without fear of penalties.

:patriotlogo::patriotlogo:

Totally agree! And it's a lost cause playing on defense these days, too, as the bias towards offense is really ridiculous.

I can visualize that this rule will not be called uniformly across all games and will vary week to week. Similar to other rules, fans will be seeking to find out which officiating crew will be utilized for their favorite team each week.

I can visualize that this rule will not be called uniformly across all games and will vary week to week. Similar to other rules, fans will be seeking to find out which officiating crew will be utilized for their favorite team each week.

And in the playoffs/superbowl... :coffee:

Every time the NFL invents a rule which is based on a ref's judgement then it is ripe to be either demphasized or called every time it's even close based on the changing tides of public and media opinion and the way the NFL is perceived by those that give a shit.

For instance, a few years ago there was a new and very strict interpretation of PI guidlines. They called it tight in preseason and after a couple of weeks in the real season there was such a sea of flags and negativity that the league did what they always do in these circumstances -- they quietly told the refs to stop throwing so many flags even though the rules stated otherwise.

The impact of this rule will be lessened in the regular season. It won't go completely away but they'll gradually realize that they're handing ball carriers Carte Blanche to duck their heads to get a couple of extra yards and that is not a good idea if the purpose of the rule is player safety.

Watch what happens the second a ball carrier gets carted off the field from doing a deliberate head-duck and getting a neck injury. Players are taught from day one to NEVER duck the head.

By the time the frost is on the pumpkin this rule is going to be a non-controversy.

Every time the NFL invents a rule which is based on a ref's judgement then it is ripe to be either demphasized or called every time it's even close based on the changing tides of public and media opinion and the way the NFL is perceived by those that give a shit.

For instance, a few years ago there was a new and very strict interpretation of PI guidlines. They called it tight in preseason and after a couple of weeks in the real season there was such a sea of flags and negativity that the league did what they always do in these circumstances -- they quietly told the refs to stop throwing so many flags even though the rules stated otherwise.

The impact of this rule will be lessened in the regular season. It won't go completely away but they'll gradually realize that they're handing ball carriers Carte Blanche to duck their heads to get a couple of extra yards and that is not a good idea if the purpose of the rule is player safety.

Watch what happens the second a ball carrier gets carted off the field from doing a deliberate head-duck and getting a neck injury. Players are taught from day one to NEVER duck the head.

By the time the frost is on the pumpkin this rule is going to be a non-controversy.

EVERY RB does this on virtually every carry.

My goodness, how the game has changed.
Any one here beginning to agree with this call?
SMH.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cf77xdTOxWY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

With the new gambling laws, people will now be wagering on how many flags are thrown in a game.

Fantasy Flag Football!

I hope you're right Hawg about the rule being downplayed soon after the season starts.

My goodness, how the game has changed.
Any one here beginning to agree with this call?
SMH.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cf77xdTOxWY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow. That one is even worse than the call on Rivers.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The most eyebrow-raising call in last night's Patriots game had nothing to do with helmets or catches. Officials have also tightened up roughing the passer penalties. Can't land on the QB with even "most" of your weight, which Derek Rivers did here, according to them. <a href="https://t.co/1BpfKMddXZ">pic.twitter.com/1BpfKMddXZ</a></p>— Matt Dolloff (@mattdolloff) <a href="https://twitter.com/mattdolloff/status/1027962902521827328?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 10, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I've watched a couple of Pats games played under this rule.

Here's my question...

Have the Pats been called for violating the "leading with the helmet" rule.

It seems to me that they are taking pains to teach tackling methods that won't draw fouls.

Here's my question...

It seems to me that they are taking pains to teach tackling methods that won't draw fouls.

No penalty for leading with the helmet so far. The terrible call on Rivers is the only personal foul call I remember off the top of my head.

Here's my question...

I went to one practice. They drilled this hard several times during the practice isolating on defenders/ball carriers keeping the head up in a short contact area.

Here's my question...

Yes, Jordan Richards in the Philly game.

https://twitter.com/fearthe_beard11/status/1030279193471279104

Of coure those who say tackle with your head up and you'll be fine, need to explain this one.

https://twitter.com/uSTADIUM/status/1028670516780064768

Yes, Jordan Richards in the Philly game.

https://twitter.com/fearthe_beard11/status/1030279193471279104

Of course those who say tackle with your head up and you'll be fine, need to explain this one.

https://twitter.com/uSTADIUM/status/1028670516780064768

The problem is that referees eat dicks and suck at their job. The written rule isn't necessarily the problem, but the refs ability to ever call it properly will likely turn into a huge issue.

I was one that said stop leading with your helmet and you'll be fine. At that moment I was not thinking about how utterly atrocious every official is.

Wrong.

Any rule written that requires a referee to judge intent is colossally flawed.

Copy cat. See above: "This isn't law where you have to gauge "intent." It's football where what the player is thinking is beyond what the refs can possibly know."

:archive:

Wrong.

Any rule written that requires a referee to judge intent is colossally flawed.

There's nothing in the written rule about intent.

USE OF HELMET
The most significant change for 2018 is the new Use of Helmet rule. The rule states that it is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent. This rule pertains to all players on the field, and to all areas of the field.

The officiating standards for the Use of Helmet rule are:

Lowering the head (not to include bracing for contact)
Initiating contact with the helmet to any part of an opponent. Contact does not have to be to an opponent’s head or neck area — lowering the head and initiating contact to an opponent’s torso, hips, and lower body, is also a foul.
Making contact on an opponent (both offense and defense)
Players can be ejected for use of helmet fouls — and all ejections will be reviewed by senior officials in Art McNally GameDay Central in New York. The standards for ejection are, if:

The player lowers his helmet to establish a linear body posture prior to initiating and making contact with the helmet;
The player delivering the blow had an unobstructed path to his opponent; and if
The contact was clearly avoidable

They're OK. I preferred the Meantime/Betty era...

:coffee:

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back