Random Football News: 2023

I'm amazed anybody would go all in on OBJ and hand him that money. I mean, he wouldn't let people vet him for his physical status; he's actually unknown at this point due to the injuries he's had.
I'm not amazed by that contract or the team that offered it. A little higher than I'd thought - I would have guessed at maybe 2/3 of that amount guaranteed - but the total and incentives make sense. It makes sense for a team in at least one specific situation:
1) competitive team with a number of areas of strength, and few glaring weaknesses but a longshot for a superbowl
2) would be disproportionately helped by an explosive weapon: a strong running game, relies on creating confusion and breakdowns on opposing defenses
3) a team that is overly reliant on a single offensive weapon, which means greater relative benefit from forcing defenses to split their focus
4) an offense that plays off schedule disproportionately benefits from targets with more instinct, athleticism, and cockiness/attitude vs pure discipline
5) an offense with a QB who desperately needs a safety valve who can match his "alpha-ness," that he will trust and believe in
6) an offense that doesn't have a large number of promising wide receivers who OBJ would steal touches from, risking stunting their development

Ravens match all of this. They lost 6 games plus their playoff game by one score. They scored 20 or fewer 10 times - including their last 6 and 7 of their last 8 - plus their playoff game. It's a one-year deal, there are zero explosive offensive weapons on the market, and few in the draft.

If anything, I'm surprised the Ravens didn't hold out for a team option to trigger another year or two. If OBJ and Lamar Bond, and he becomes a binky, he's going to hold them for ransom.

Realistically, there's not a lot out there that's going to change their team to spend their cap on right now anyway. They didn't sacrifice the future, and if he's 90% of the way back, they went from "fringe long shot" to "in the conversation."

This had to be a "Go get me someone like OBJ and we'll talk" gesture of good will on the part of Baltimore toward Jackson. They have to be talking and this is a step toward making amends. Makes zero sense otherwise.

Jackson knows he is not getting a fully GTY'd deal from anyone and his best immediate fit is to return to Baltimore.

I mean, fuck it, let Harbawl make this mistake, I am 100% certain the Browns, Bengals and Steelers are delighted with this move.

Looks like a deal is imminent for Snyder to sell the Commanders. It needs approval from the other owners.

Looks like it will be Josh Harris, the co-owner of the 76ers and the NJ Devils.

Looks like a deal is imminent for Snyder to sell the Commanders. It needs approval from the other owners.

Looks like it will be Josh Harris, the co-owner of the 76ers and the NJ Devils.
Even if Snyder was not an unethical POS, I am just happy for Washington fans that his reign of ineptitude is coming to a close.

I can imagine a new stadium will be on the cards when they're sold. It's a massive franchise that Snyder just handcuffed for so long.

Back