Random Football News: 2023

I've some "experts" pick the Ravens 4th in their division. That would surprise the hell out of me. These moves indicate the Ravens are concerned about their roster.

View: https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/status/1692618686316617773

I don't think they'll be 4th, but I'm not sure they make the playoffs either.

They just ate up their salary cap for the next half-decade on a QB that's going to give them 12 solid games a year. Historically, the Ravens aren't great at dumpster-diving, and that's the situation they're going to be in for the next several years.

I’m trying to get one of a couple of my friends who are diehard lions fans to start to participate on patriots planet. I like it when we have the viewpoint of congenial fans of other teams. Jetsknicks for example.

In the mean time if I see something Lions related that might be interesting I will throw it in this thread.

The picture below offers perspective, not seen amongst Patriots fans in decades.

1692639156774.png

Back when I had season tix for the Lions the guy that sat in front of me had a Lions jersey #57. The name?

“Rebuilding Since”🤣

Last edited:
had a scary thought... if the AFCC was Chiefs vs. Jets, who do you root for? while jets are long time enemies, I wouldn't want the Chef's going back-to-back
J-E-T-S I-NEED-A-SHOWER-AND-SOME-DISINFECTANT :coffee:
Why you gotta go and say shit like this????!!

I’m trying to get one of a couple of my friends who are diehard lions fans to start to participate on patriots planet. I like it when we have the viewpoint of congenial fans of other teams. Jetsnicks for example.

In the mean time if I see something Lions related that might be interesting I will throw it in this thread.

The picture below offers perspective, not seen amongst Patriots fans in decades.

View attachment 18371

Back when I had season tix for the Lions the guy that sat in front of me had a Lions jersey #57. The name?

“Rebuilding Since”🤣
If the Lions ever got into the Super Bowl, I would root for them SO HARD. Talk about a suffering fanbase! At least the hapless Cards got to a Super Bowl even if they didn't win.

Lions fans are Red Sox-esque, and even the Sox got to the playoffs and World Series once in awhile before winning in 2004.

If the Lions ever got into the Super Bowl, I would root for them SO HARD. Talk about a suffering fanbase! At least the hapless Cards got to a Super Bowl even if they didn't win.

Lions fans are Red Sox-esque, and even the Sox got to the playoffs and World Series once in awhile before winning in 2004.

Yep. The Red Sox comparison is a good one. Such a dedicated fan base. I am actually a little worried about a buddy of mine as he is sooooo bought in mentally. He is gonna be crushed if the Lions spit up a 7-10 season. Ford field is sold out all seats all types for every game. Prices on the ticket sites are ridiculous. There was a time I could not give my seats away. Only a couple of years ago if I wanted to take the boys to a Lions game all I had to do was throw a note out on Facebook that I was looking for tickets and I would get them below face value or even free the morning at the game. No more.

Last edited:
Yep. The Red Sox comparison is a good one. Such a dedicated fan base. I am actually a little worried about a buddy of mine as he is sooooo bought in mentally. He is gonna be crushed if the Lions spit up a 7-10 season. Ford field is sold out all seats all types for every game. Prices on the ticket sites are ridiculous. There was a time I could not give my seats away. Only a couple of years ago if I wanted to take the boys to a Lions game all I had to do was throw a note out on Facebook that I was looking for tickets and I would get them below face value or even free the morning at the game. No more.
all because they have a great qb and star players!111!!1!1 (coaching matters)

I apologize if anyone already posted this, but Julian Edelman is joining Fox football this season, on Sundays at 11:00 AM. I'm psyched!

Former Patriots WR Julian Edelman to join FOX Sports Sunday programming this Fall​

(from WEEI)

Last edited:

Ditto. Ever since Barry Sanders I always had a soft spot for the Lions. Plus, I love cars so Detroit always had that pull for me.

Ditto. Ever since Barry Sanders I always had a soft spot for the Lions. Plus, I love cars so Detroit always had that pull for me.
The Ford complex and museum in Detroit is amazing. A must see destination. Went through it a few years ago when I drive up there to see a Pats game. They got thrashed but won the Superbowl that year, so at least I got to say I saw them on a great year. Meet lots of super cool Patriot fans that travel with the team. It was a great weekend. But yeah the car stuff was sensory overload.

The Athletic’s fifth annual NFL Agent Survey provided a forum for 23 certified agents to vent on numerous league-wide matters. Some participated in previous surveys. Nearly a third bring fresh perspectives. This diverse group represents hundreds of players — Super Bowl MVPs, Pro Bowl selections, franchise quarterbacks, practice-squad hopefuls and 17 first-round selections over the past three years.

Granted anonymity to speak freely, these agents offered frank views about the running back market drying up, the league’s most unstable franchises and whether the NFL should ever allow international entities to own a franchise. They also dished on general managers, Roger Goodell’s future, Aaron Rodgers, Jonathan Taylor, Lamar Jackson and … Lionel Messi.

Interviews were conducted throughout the summer. Participants received follow-up calls or new questions as stories developed.

[ I will post some of the more interesting things here]

Should or could anything be done to address the depressed running back market?​

• “This should have been in the CBA. Whether a lack of vision or oversight or indifference, it’s not there. If Saquon Barkley and Jonathan Taylor can’t get paid …”
“There’s no fix. Money is being spent, just not on them.”

Note: None of the agents suggested there is collusion happening.

What do you make of the Jonathan Taylor-Colts feud?​

• “This doesn’t look good for the owner (Jim Irsay). The market talks, and it’s ghosting the running backs. I stopped recruiting them a while ago. There are special players, but one knee injury can ruin a career. But the owner isn’t winning over the locker room with his childish social media talk.”

• “Taylor does not have any leverage. But the Colts’ owner should get out of the way and let his GM handle it.”

• “If (Irsay) had kept his thoughts to himself, Taylor likely stays and plays. Instead, Irsay ruined it and gave Taylor an easy reason to demand a trade. Why not take it since that franchise is not showing a ton of promise?”

What are your thoughts on Lamar Jackson’s contract extension and how he got there with the Ravens despite no formal agent?​

• “Missed opportunity for everyone here. He had a chance to get what Watson got with guaranteed money if he pushed more. He got a great deal and good for him, but Watson and (Kirk) Cousins remain outliers rather than trendsetters.”

• “Cool that he got the deal complete without an agent. However, he left money on the table by waiting a year, unlike Justin Herbert. Lamar saved on fees but lost money.”

• “Give him credit. He got a great contract. Baltimore kind of caved. Once Hurts went, Baltimore could easily justify the terms. Make no mistake: If Baltimore could have gotten another quarterback, they would have. He’s a tremendous athlete but runs hot and cold as a passer and gets hurt. The frustration is he didn’t fight through injuries. He also might be the most explosive player with the ball in his hand. They were stuck. Lamar hung in there throughout the whole process. You can make the case a traditional agent gets the cash flow a year ago, but he got there. Shows what leverage can do.”

What do you make of Aaron Rodgers pushing for the Jets at the end of his saga with the Packers and in the name of player empowerment?​

• “Hey, Lamar Jackson couldn’t pull it off.”

• “Rodgers took a pay cut (with the Jets) out of spite (for the Packers). It’s important for him to have a voice/say in team matters. The Packers wouldn’t, at least in his view, but the Jets did.”

• “Actual player empowerment is rare, but it happens and happens beyond the quarterback room. What you’ll notice is that they probably have good representation. They definitely had great internal fortitude. Most importantly, they are or were special players like Darrelle Revis, Khalil Mack, Jalen Ramsey and others. Guys that had the guts to hold out or force a trade to get proper money.”

In 2010, top QBs were making $20 million annually. Now it’s $52.5 million. When will someone hit $100 million? Will this rise slow at least somewhat?​

• “We’ll get to $75 million in the next four to five years and $100 million by ‘29-30. People can dismiss that idea, but it will happen sooner than later with the way the cap is rising.”

• “There’s a very strong argument that it’s actually being held down a little bit artificially now by the tag and some previously signed deals. The top guys are averaging $50 million per year whether they’ve been deep into the playoffs or not. I think the argument should be made that there’s an owner out there — if not 10 — that gives an unrestricted free-agent Patrick Mahomes a three-year, $300 million fully guaranteed deal. Look what he means to a franchise. Think about the perception of the Chiefs before he emerged. That’s why so many GMs are clandestinely sucking for Caleb Williams. They look at the arm angles, arm strength, the ability to throw off the back foot and they’re like, ‘Maybe that’s the next Mahomes.’ How else are you going to get a guy like that?”

• “The salary cap keeps going up by 8-10 percent every year, so why wouldn’t QB salaries keep rising? The actual dollar figures don’t mean anything to me. It’s all about the percentage of the cap. … I think the NFL will never let a team do a contract tied to the percentage of the cap, but I think it is the way we need to look at these quarterback contracts. … The only way to create that kind of leverage for other great players is to get to the open market. The problem is we have this silly franchise tag provision. I wish the franchise tag provision was only one year.

Which franchise is the most unstable now?

Cardinals 9 votes, Colts 4 votes, Texans 3 votes, Commanders 2 votes, Cowboys-Jets-Raiders 1 vote each.

• “(The Cardinals) have stable owners, but the franchise’s mentality and financial plan aren’t sound. Now on a path to not-win to dump Kyler Murray and position itself for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft for Caleb Williams. The organization hasn’t been good even when posting positive records.”

• “Had a client considering signing there. He checked with a friend on the team and was told, ‘Don’t come here.’ The Kyler contract. GM resigns. Accusations against the owner. Maybe the new GM and coach change things. Maybe.”

• “I’ve been so brainwashed to think of Washington so I can’t think of anyone easily. Oh, the Colts. The things Irsay says make it tough on Ballard and the staff.”

• “Cowboys. Nepotism at its finest. I know they’re a valuable franchise, and they have a good quarterback and they win games, but they’re very poorly run.”

1/2

2/2

Should Roger remain as Commissioner when his contract ends in 2027?
Yes - 9
No - 9
Doesn't matter - 5

Yes​

• “I would hope that he stays. He’s vastly overpaid, but that’s because he’s done a good job.”

• “From a business standpoint, he is doing great. Revenues are high.”

• “Bird in the hand.”

No​

• “Rather than hug players on draft day for good press, I want someone who stands up to the owners on putting in safer playing surfaces for their players rather than for a short time when the World Cup arrives (in 2026).”

• “I think the pace at which the business of football is changing — it happens so much faster now for a lot of different reasons. That, to me, at least, it would seem that you would want your tenure of your commissioner not to be as long because you kind of need that fresh perspective, that fresh leadership perspective.”

• “You need a commish who will stand up to the owners, which is hard since they are the boss. I don’t know how you do that, but he won’t. Yeah, I’d love a new voice for that reason and someone who would get owners on board with a developmental league and other forward-thinking moves.”

Doesn’t matter​

• “It’s a great question. I don’t know the answer. Obviously, the owners believe in Roger, and they pay accordingly. But is he more than a figurehead mouthpiece? How much is he really doing when working for 31 billionaires and the Packers? If Roger capitulates to what they want and takes the hit publicly, you can see why that’d be attractive to them.”

• “Really, it doesn’t matter. The union hasn’t been tough enough. Players can’t strike. Billionaires can wait them out.”

The players elected a new NFLPA executive director. What do you think of Lloyd Howell and the secretive process?​

Note: Every agent made similar comments about the process, and most knew little about DeMaurice Smith’s replacement beyond his prior role as CFO with Booz Allen Hamilton, a D.C.-area consulting firm.

• “I don’t know anything about Howell. Very disappointed in the secrecy. Democracy is not easy. The most important thing that I’m hoping for is that, as opposed to the last leader, who ex-communicated the agents, this leader is going to truly reach out to the agents and ask for their input and be much more collaborative.”

• “I likened it to the American people being told that they’re picking the President of the United States, and they find out who the candidates are the night before the election. To me, the next CBA is the single most important negotiation in the history of pro football in America. … I’m standing next to an NFL player right now. Not only did he not know, they had no f—ing idea that a vote was even being taken and had no idea about any candidate. Then seemingly every union rep tweeted out the same series of tweets after the election — that this was the most full and fair and transparent player-led process — which leads me to believe it was completely the opposite, right? Why would 23 guys tweet out virtually the same language?”

• “I do find it interesting that we had Gene Upshaw, who had good relationships with owners — players didn’t always grasp why that was so important — to a trial lawyer in DeMaurice, who was more combative, to more of a CFO, financial type. It’s kind of like when a team has a coach that’s a tyrant, and they fire him, then say we’re gonna bring in somebody different.”

• “The process was a joke. I know some of the player reps were given barely any notice before the meeting to vote. These reps put far too much trust into (NFLPA president) JC Tretter, and I’m not quite sure why because I don’t think he’s really done anything to earn that trust. Hopefully, the new guy is great.”

Not news but it seems to me that Arizona isn’t even trying to hide that they are tanking for Caleb Williams.

They are the most blatant and most poorly run team but I think the Colts are quietly going about their business of sucking again in case Richardson doesn't pan out. Let's see what happens with RB Jonathan Taylor after Jim Irsay opened his pie hole and let the world know he was willing to antagonize 49% of his offense last year for the cause. 14 projected starters are 25 or younger, with 7 of those being in their first or second seasons. Throw in a new HC as the fall guy and we already know how Irsay is voting! GM Chris Ballard deserves far better than Irsay as an owner.

There are other possible contenders for Caleb Williams.

Tampa Bay for 1. The amount of experience TB lost beyond Brady is staggering. Sean Murphy-Bunting, Mike Edwards, Logan Ryan, Akiem Hicks, William Gholston, Carl Nassib, Leonard Fournette, Cameron Brate and Julio Jones have all moved along. Age waits for no one. And TB is in cap hell. TB may have the best legit excuses of all to suck for CW.

What if Stafford gets injured early in the season again? Could the Rams instantly become another prime contender? Don't put anything beyond owner Stan Kroenke.

Back