**Random FOOTBALL Thoughts That Don't Warrant Full Threads**

Came across this on Bleacher Report - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-the-perfect-backup-quarterback-for-tom-brady - it talks about drafting a QB as back-up for Brady, and a whole load of other stuff which doesn't really make sense given the position the Pats are in.

It gave me an idea though, if Brady went down who would you want at back-up, lets assume that Hoyer remains for another year, would you want Hoyer, Mallett or someone else?

Physically, either Hoyer or Mallett can sling the rock but we have no idea of the mental side of their game. Zolak could sling it, too, but when his time came to play he spit the bit because his mental preparation wasn't there. He was released because of it.

After Manning parting ways with the Colts, I researched and was shocked to see that Bob Sanders hasn't been cut yet.

Physically, either Hoyer or Mallett can sling the rock but we have no idea of the mental side of their game. Zolak could sling it, too, but when his time came to play he spit the bit because his mental preparation wasn't there. He was released because of it.

IIRC, Hoyer has taken command pretty well in a couple pre-season appearances - he was way better and much more ready as a pre-season rokie than that guy the Pats brought in from Oakland that camp (who was cut and then whined about "not being given a chance"), whose name I can't recall.

However, it seems to me that Hoyer's also quite a bit more mobile than either Brady or Mallett and maybe more likely to tuck it and run. Maybe that "adds a dimension" or maybe it also screws things up, under certain circumstances.

Haven't seen enough of Mallett with the Pats to judge, but I hope I do during the next pre-season.

In any case, at this point, I'd go with Hoyer. If the Pats part with him for a pick or two, I'd suppose that means they're very happy with Mallett.

430338_10150568608001371_59191226370_9456522_890480570_n.jpg

lol saw this on a friends wall wanted to share i LOL'd a bit ;P

IIRC, Hoyer has taken command pretty well in a couple pre-season appearances - he was way better and much more ready as a pre-season rokie than that guy the Pats brought in from Oakland that camp (who was cut and then whined about "not being given a chance"), whose name I can't recall.

However, it seems to me that Hoyer's also quite a bit more mobile than either Brady or Mallett and maybe more likely to tuck it and run. Maybe that "adds a dimension" or maybe it also screws things up, under certain circumstances.

Haven't seen enough of Mallett with the Pats to judge, but I hope I do during the next pre-season.

In any case, at this point, I'd go with Hoyer. If the Pats part with him for a pick or two, I'd suppose that means they're very happy with Mallett.

I'm hearing the Pats would take a high to mid 2nd for Hoyer in trade.

I guess I would, too. Unless the coaches think Mallet is never going to happen for them.

I kinda doubt, though, that any team would be willing to give up a 2nd for Hoyer if he's going to carry a clipboard behind an incumbent, long-term starter. So, what teams would that leave?

I'd love a high-mid 2nd for Hoyer, but I think that it's unlikely that someone will pay that for a player with limited game experience. A high 3rd is more likely - similar to the value that SD got for Charlie Whitehurst, who like Hoyer didn't have much game experience. A 2013 2nd would also be reasonable.

I've suggested that trading Hoyer to Cleveland for #68 overall makes sense. Cleveland needs a QB, they've missed out on the RGIII derby, and they aren't in the Peyton Manning derby. Unless they think Ryan Tannenhill is worth the #4 pick, it makes sense for them to go after someone like Matt Flynn or Brian Hoyer. Flynn has more game film but would cost more $$$, and they may get outbid by Miami, especially with Joe Philbin's connection to Flynn. Hoyer at #68 would be cheap, the contract would be reasonable, he could compete right away with Colt McCoy for the starting job. If it doesn't work out they wouldn't lose much. Hoyer would have a much better chance of succeeding than any QB they could get at #68.

We'll know more by what tender the Pats offer Hoyer. If they tender him at a 2nd round level then they are hoping someone will sign him to an offer, but would probably trade him for a 3rd. If they tender him to a 1st round level, then they really value him highly.

I'd love a high-mid 2nd for Hoyer, but I think that it's unlikely that someone will pay that for a player with limited game experience. A high 3rd is more likely - similar to the value that SD got for Charlie Whitehurst, who like Hoyer didn't have much game experience. A 2013 2nd would also be reasonable.

I've suggested that trading Hoyer to Cleveland for #68 overall makes sense. Cleveland needs a QB, they've missed out on the RGIII derby, and they aren't in the Peyton Manning derby. Unless they think Ryan Tannenhill is worth the #4 pick, it makes sense for them to go after someone like Matt Flynn or Brian Hoyer. Flynn has more game film but would cost more $$$, and they may get outbid by Miami, especially with Joe Philbin's connection to Flynn. Hoyer at #68 would be cheap, the contract would be reasonable, he could compete right away with Colt McCoy for the starting job. If it doesn't work out they wouldn't lose much. Hoyer would have a much better chance of succeeding than any QB they could get at #68.

We'll know more by what tender the Pats offer Hoyer. If they tender him at a 2nd round level then they are hoping someone will sign him to an offer, but would probably trade him for a 3rd. If they tender him to a 1st round level, then they really value him highly.

Perfect and complete, as usual.

Unless Pete Carroll is stuck in his own personal Ground Hog Day.

Now which Moss shows for them. The one trick pony that he was his final season. The movivated that played for the pats.

Are these guys to expensive for Pats...

The biggest questions looming for the Saints today is what will happen with Nicks and Colston.

Although New Orleans has parted ways with valued veterans in recent years, the Saints have never bid farewell to anyone of Nicks' or Colston's status during this current era of success.

Both will come at a high price tag. Nicks is seeking to become the highest-paid guard in NFL history, at more than $8.5 million per year. Colston also could command an annual salary in the $8 million range.
Nicks, for one, continued to insist that he would love to stay with the Saints but expects to leave. Nicks said he remains disappointed that the team hasn't made any contract offers or serious attempts to keep him.

Nicks, who turns 27 in May, said his goal is to surpass the $8.5 million per year of New England Patriots guard Logan Mankins. But Nicks also hinted that he might consider taking less money to stay with the Saints.

At the very least, he wants to have that choice.

"From my understanding, they think they can't afford me, and they didn't want to throw out a number that was disrespectful, I guess," Nicks said of the Saints, who have talked briefly with his agent, Ben Dogra, but not to Nicks directly this offseason. "In a lot of regards I can understand that. It makes sense, but I also feel like any kind of offer is better than no kind of offer. I think it's more disrespectful to not even offer me. At least try."

The Saints haven't offered any insight into their plans for Nicks. Likely, they will be interested in bringing Nicks back only if he comes at a price tag they believe makes sense in the short term and the long term. It's possible they're waiting to enter the bidding only if he doesn't get the kind of offers he's hoping for early.

Nicks, however, has made it clear that he wanted to hear from the Saints sooner.

"I know I've said I want to be paid a certain amount, but at the end of the day, I said I want to be back with the Saints, and I'm waiting on any kind of offer," Nicks said. "My goal is to get more than ($8.5 million per year). I feel like I deserve that. But I never told them, 'If you guys are in the ballpark, I wouldn't consider it.' I play with Drew Brees. We always have a chance to win. That counts for a lot."

Nicks said his close relationship with guard Jahri Evans and left tackle Jermon Bushrod also counts for a lot. Nicks said he has been hanging out with them in recent days while spending time in New Orleans -- in part to let the Saints know he's in town and ready to visit with them.

"Jahri and Jermon have been trying to push me to stay, telling me to go talk to them, pretty much saying anything," Nicks said. "That means a lot. I really love those guys. It's difficult right now."

At the same time, Nicks said he'll be prepared to hop on a plane and go visit a team once the free agency window opens -- assuming that's how it works. He said he really doesn't know what to expect.

"I don't know anything about anything," said Nicks, who described himself as "super anxious and excited but a little nervous."

Are these guys to expensive for Pats...

Yes.

Nicks will get Logan Mankins $$, and we can't tie up that much in the OG position. Plus he's a classic road grader, and not a great fit for the Pats. Colston has had too many knee surgeries to warrant a long term deal at that money.

I see Shockey is his usual charming self. ROFL

Amani Toomer ‏ <s>@</s>AmaniAToomer <s>@</s>garymyersNYDN No!!Shockey"I will never play4 you again!"he yelled at jerry Reese in 08. Let him keep his word. Bad teammate, worse person.

Jeremy Shockey ‏ <s>@</s>JeremyShockey
Amani Toomer on Jeremy Shockey: Bad teammate, Haha. Well he was the lazy one that broke my leg!!

RT <s>@</s>JeremyShockey: <s>@</s>AmaniAToomer Go get a bucket of rocks and start throwing them at your glass house

Don L ‏ <s>@</s>DonaldLongo did <s>@</s>JeremyShockey see <s>@</s>AmaniAToomer tweet?

Jeremy Shockey ‏ <s>@</s>JeremyShockey
<s>@</s>DonaldLongo <s>@</s>amaniatoomer yes remember when his ex divorced him and he urinated on a her cloths I guess he's the good person
Retweeted by Mike Solarte
Hide conversation

<small class="time"> 3m </small> Geoff Fairbanks ‏ <s>@</s>Fairbanks_85

<s>@</s>JeremyShockey <s>@</s>DonaldLongo <s>@</s>AmaniAToomer damn the BUST of a tight end has a lot to say, what a joke

<small class="time"> 8m </small> Stephen Crociata ‏ <s>@</s>SCrociata

<s>@</s>JeremyShockey In fairness wasn't his wife the witch who had abortions without telling him?? <s>@</s>DonaldLongo <s>@</s>amaniatoomer

<small class="time"> 10m </small> Your Mom ‏ <s>@</s>mendezia

<s>@</s>JeremyShockey <s>@</s>donaldlongo <s>@</s>amaniatoomer hahahahahahahahahahahashahahahahaahahashahashhabahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahhahahah

<small class="time"> 11m </small> DJ Mister Dior ™ ‏ <s>@</s>DJMisterDior

<s>@</s>JeremyShockey <s>@</s>DonaldLongo <s>@</s>amaniatoomer yo Jeremy it's CLOTHES not CLOTHS. Learn to spell. You can afford Rosetta Stone.

<small class="time"> 12m </small> Tommy Reyes ‏ <s>@</s>tommy_reyes

<s>@</s>JeremyShockey damn bro...you going IN today!! hahahahahaha!! <s>#</s>CanesFam

Yeah, Shockey is really doing a good job disputing claims that he is a "bad teammate and even worse person" by airing this guy's personal laundry out for everyone to see.

Back