Rd 1, #29 - Cole Strange, IOL, Chattenooga

So, I'm still not in favor of drafting an OG in round 1. For the positional value in a vacuum, that is.

You know what is worth a first, though? A tone-setter and culture warrior. Strange could be that guy.

I guess it breaks down like this:
  • If he can't play, he's a bust, and we have to look to the acquired 3rd and 4th rounders to judge the overall success of how Bill used #21, but it's off to a bad start.
  • If he's a Day 1 starter that holds down the position for 5 years at short money and plays fine, that's at least a solid push and use of the pick. Why? Because a large % of picks in that range bust or wash out to journeyman reserves, and that's before you consider the added value of the picks added in trade.
  • I'm not going to assume that he's a perennial probowler and latter day John Hannah, but if he's a solid starter AND whatever his version of Teddy Bruschi/Matthew Slater/Tom Brady on the practice field, in the locker room, and between the lines? Gold. And add to that he seems to be an enforcer, a presence who will make defenses think very carefully before cheap shotting Mac...

...if the coaches think they found THAT, and it happens to be in the body of one of the most athletic IOLs to have come out in recent memory? Worth a late first, even for "just" a guard. His play won't move the needle much towards a championship vs a JAG starter. But this team could use some killer instinct, and especially of the hand-in-the-dirt, gritty, outwork-em-and-fuck-the-glory variety. Imagine if the only thing he accomplishes is to hold his own...and get Brown and Wynn to play with their hair on fire?

Maybe that's what the staff thinks they found.

This is basically where my mind is. I like his tape, and his attitude is outstanding.

If we get a 5-10 year Pro Bowlish OG plus a 3rd and 5th, who is going to complain?

Seriously, if he ends up being as great guard, how can one bitch about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FRiKFBcWYAAsaji

It is ironic that his name is strange. LOL

To those who were saying that Strange was a reach and that he was highly over-drafted, here is an interview with 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan giving his thoughts on the pick - you'll need to click through and watch on YT proper though

View: https://youtu.be/oJ0q6I_x_LY?t=900

Yup, that was well put by Little Shanny: didn't surprise them at all. On tape he looked like a first rounder, but who's going to pull the trigger? You sit around and hope that all the other teams are reading the same thing and letting guys fall because they're not "supposed" to be taken until later, but it only takes one team to trust their scouting and make that call.

To those who were saying that Strange was a reach and that he was highly over-drafted, here is an interview with 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan giving his thoughts on the pick - you'll need to click through and watch on YT proper though

View: https://youtu.be/oJ0q6I_x_LY?t=900

It’s at the 15 minute mark approximately in case anybody’s curious.

I heard an interview with the HC of Chattanooga. He said that starting a couple of weeks before the draft, he was getting calls from several team wanting more and more info about Strange. He thought it was unusual for them to keep coming back and asking questions that late in the process and felt that Strange was on the rise.

Back