Report: NFL sought to influence government head-trauma study

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/...e-government-head-trauma-study-144427753.html

Jay Busbee,Shutdown Corner 2 hours 31 minutes ago

A new congressional report has found that the NFL sought to improperly influence a major government study on connections between football and brain disease, according to documents obtained by ESPN's Outside The Lines. The congressional research report indicates the NFL had given the National Institutes of Health a $30 million unrestricted gift in 2012, but later sought to pull $16 million in funding from that gift away from one researcher and reroute it to researchers working on the league's own brain injury committee. When the NIH declined to redirect the funding, the NFL balked at paying for the study, despite having signed documents it would do so. Taxpayers were thus on the hook to pay for the study.

"In this instance," the 91-page congressional report concludes, "our investigation has shown that while the NFL had been publicly proclaiming its role as funder and accelerator of important research, it was privately attempting to influence that research."

"They wanted to look like the good guy, like they were giving money for this research," said Frank Pallone Jr. (D-N.J.). "But as soon as they found out that it might be somebody who they don't like who's doing the research, they were reneging on their commitment, essentially."

ESPN's OTL notes that the report includes several other potentially damning instances of league conduct, including NFL officials apparently acting in self-interest rather than in deference to scientific study; league attempts to avoid the NIH's stringent independent review of studies; and the very real scenario that if the NFL withdrew its funds, "other meritorious research" would not receive funding. The NFL ended up contributing $2 million to the study.

"I wish I could say I was surprised," NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith said upon hearing the news of the report, "but the league has a history of being bullies."

The NFL dominates the sports landscape and, as ever-growing television ratings for both the regular season and the Super Bowl demonstrate, claims a decent chunk of the nation's overall entertainment attention as well. But fighting Congress is another matter entirely, and this is one of several issues that has landed the league in the sights of the federal government. Whether it's from the fallout of the Ray Rice domestic abuse saga, ongoing controversy over Washington's team name, or the "pay-for-patriotism" appearances of vets at NFL games, the league's actions, and inaction, continue to draw federal scrutiny.

Under that kind of spotlight, the NFL's never-give-an-inch approach to concussions is bound to raise eyebrows. When a PBS/Frontline study shows that 96 percent of NFL players tested positive for chronic traumatic encepalopathy (CTE), the NFL's technique of attacking its critics head-on isn't the kind of approach that fosters collaboration or progress.

The brain injury study will begin next week in Boston, with 50 researchers from 17 institutions surveying hundreds of former professional and college players.

This league can go straight down the shitter and I'll be there to "pile" on.

Fvck these fvcking billionaire assholes and the toady minions who run their once-great league.

This league can go straight down the shitter and I'll be there to "pile" on.

Fvck these fvcking billionaire assholes and the toady minions who run their once-great league.

It really is a crap show all around.

NFLPA president says NFL “cannot be trusted to do the right thing” regarding players

Posted by Mike Florio on May 23, 2016, 1:50 PM EDT

The NFL currently is on the ropes after a the release of a Congressional report concluding that the league tried to exert undue influence over a National Institutes of Health study regarding concussions. And the NFL Players Association is trying to punch the league through.

“This is why the NFLPA refused to be a part of any study with the NFL,” NFLPA president and Bengals offensive lineman Eric Winston said on Twitter. “They cannot be trusted to do the right thing when it involves players.”

Separately, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said via Twitter that “this is another example of a league that is out of control.”

The strong reaction of the NFLPA is stunning but not surprising. The union has faced fights at every turn with the league office over the past few years, with trust between the two sides consistently eroding. Earlier this year, a largely-overlooked arbitration ruling concluded that the NFL diverted money that should have been included within the salary-cap calculations into a made-up category of exemptions for stadium renovations. Some with the union regarded the development as the NFL stealing money from the players.

It’s all pointing to potentially acrimonious labor negotiations in five years, with the NFLPA and the rank and file perhaps more willing to miss game checks than it was in 2011.

League has been a joke for a while now tbh. I remember saying a few years ago football is all but done in the next 25-35 years.

The product is absolutely terrible all the way around. And it's in your face 24/7 now. I've never seen a decent Thursday night game in my life. And the experience is 100% better when at home.

crackedNFLshield.jpg

We've all been calling for Goodhell's firing over deflategate and we've totally missed the point.

Deflategate is this assholes crowning achievement.

For 18 months the media, the fans and the courts have been obsessing over something totally inconsequential while the really serious shit is going on in the shadows.

The 32 have no ****ing shame and Goodhell is their well-paid whipping boy.

We think he's an idiot but he is in fact a genius, he is the best magician in the world.

Don't look at those concussions, Tom Brady is a cheeeeeeter (or a scapegoat) doesn't matter to him, as long as you obsess over it.

What is truly funny and sad, is that this 100% self inflicted.

Maybe Congress will grow a sack and look at this "institutions" anti-trust exemption.

Seriously, if they are all scurrying behind the scenes to violate the fair competition of a paying member of their Billionaire Boys Club, then maybe it is time for "every team for themselves".

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/23/roger-goodell-deflategate-nfl-concussion-research

Last December, Steve Fainaru and Mark Fainaru-Wada of ESPN detailed steps the league had taken to pull over $16 million in funding meant for a study spearheaded by the National Institute of Health because of the participation of Robert Stern, a Boston University professor who has been highly critical of the NFL’s management of head injuries. Stern was tabbed by the NIH to head the seven-year study, which was created with the lofty primary goal of finding a way to diagnose CTE in living people.

Based on that ESPN report, Democratic members of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce started an investigation into the NFL, and the results were troubling, if not entirely shocking. On Monday morning, Fainaru and Fainaru-Wada passed along the details of that report, which revealed that the NFL did actually pull its funding when the NIH refused to remove Stern from the process, but not before pressuring and bargaining with the institute through back channels. It’s clear that the league never meant for its grant to the NIH to be “unrestricted,” as was originally stated. From the start, the NFL was using its own medical personnel to run a game on a government-funded study group, and seemed to see nothing wrong with that.
So, back to the original question: What is Roger Goodell’s legacy? Outside of his success in growing the league’s revenue, which one could argue isn’t too tough in a time when pro football has a license to print money, we are left with an NFL in his image that with one hand spends outsized resources on ridiculous disciplinary exercises and with the other downplays the most fundamental quality of life issues the game presents to its players. On days like today, Deflategate feels like a smokescreen for the public to ingest while the league engages in shadier backdoor doings. It’s more likely the two things are not connected at all, and Goodell is simply caught up in his own ridiculous obsessions over the minutiae of power-grabbing while the ground sinks beneath his feet.

One thing is for sure: When Goodell’s tenure is summed up down the road, he will be seen as a leader whose priorities were at times violently out of whack. No day better illustrates that than Monday, when within the span of a few hours we learned that the Deflategate ridiculousness would continue and that the league tried to cook one of the most important head injury studies in history for its own purposes.

That is Roger Goodell’s real legacy. Whether he cares or not, he has nobody but himself to blame for it.

There's a pattern which shows the NFL is willing to pay millions to purchase favorable conclusions to studies and investigations.

This fact alone should bring into question the commissioner's right to arbitrate any player/club discipline. The NFLPA cannot assume the NFL negotiates any issue in good faith, which is the backbone of union/management interactions.

They gave that up didn't they?

Cheers

No, they gave up their non-profit status so they don't have to publicly report their financial statements with the trade-off being they have to start paying their share of taxes.

Lifting the anti-trust exemption would open up a huge can of worms, not only for the NFL, but all other organized sports leagues.

Maybe Congress will grow a sack and look at this "institutions" anti-trust exemption.

Seriously, if they are all scurrying behind the scenes to violate the fair competition of a paying member of their Billionaire Boys Club, then maybe it is time for "every team for themselves".
yup

They gave that up didn't they?

Cheers
nope

No, they gave up their non-profit status so they don't have to publicly report their financial statements with the trade-off being they have to start paying their share of taxes.

Lifting the anti-trust exemption would open up a huge can of worms, not only for the NFL, but all other organized sports leagues.
let it crumble, I am really getting tired of the Male soap opera known as the NFL - the Games are great, the team building parts are interesting and we all love to play GM but the Drama Queen crap that is including possible deflation of balls and a general awareness with the physical beatings to women and children is really spoiling the sport. Add in the glorification of players like Ray Lewis and his henchmen fall-guys and you really have to step back and look in.

It is time to make the NFL, pro sports, and Church/religions no longer non-profit.... they are most definitely in it for a profit, as long as the churches are using the donations of God's fans to protect the fat ass Bernie Law types, and owners of sports teams are ripping off the fans of their teams and sport, they are all profit based. The value of these teams shows the foolishness of it all.

There's a pattern which shows the NFL is willing to pay millions to purchase favorable conclusions to studies and investigations.

This fact alone should bring into question the commissioner's right to arbitrate any player/club discipline. The NFLPA cannot assume the NFL negotiates any issue in good faith, which is the backbone of union/management interactions.

Read this: The NFL's own insurance companies are finding the NFL to be disingenuous.

Daniel Wallach ‏<s>@</s>WALLACHLEGAL <small class="time"> 32m32 minutes ago </small> Aventura, FL NFL's insurers file opposition to league's motion to delay discovery in coverage dispute involving concussion deal: http://bit.ly/1UbiRnf

https://t.co/Hz73CArj6p

Not a good day for the NFL yesterday. Even the league’s insurers piled on, accusing it of impeding discovery:

CjOefKQUgAEfedN.jpg

Daniel Wallach ‏<s>@</s>WALLACHLEGAL <small class="time"> 20m20 minutes ago </small> Aventura, FL NFL seeks to prevent insurers from obtaining any concussion-related discovery until ALL appeals (including SCOTUS) are exhausted

Daniel Wallach ‏<s>@</s>WALLACHLEGAL <small class="time"> 16m16 minutes ago </small> Aventura, FL Insurers to Court: "In sum, the NFL already has prevented any meaningful progress in this lawsuit for almost four years."

Daniel Wallach ‏<s>@</s>WALLACHLEGAL <small class="time"> 12m12 minutes ago </small> The essence of the insurers’ argument against NFL’s efforts to further delay discovery in concussion coverage case:

CjOh0ATW0AApEtB.jpg

Daniel Wallach ‏<s>@</s>WALLACHLEGAL <small class="time"> 7m7 minutes ago </small> Insurance companies accuse NFL of being “entirely disingenuous” <s>#</s>PotMeetKettle

CjOjEJzWUAAxjA6.jpg

I am holding out that somehow this insidious behavior helps Brady.

I wish I was not addicted to the NFL's game. More specifically it is the Patriots, who are my drug of choice and quitting them would be good for me but I can't stop watching/reading on them.

It sucks the path it has travelled. I guess I should start FA - Football Anonymous - for all us football junkies.

Back