Report: NFL sought to influence government head-trauma study

I am holding out that somehow this insidious behavior helps Brady.

So if, in fact, the appeal can only consider facts in evidence, can this new information somehow sway the judges toward Brady and the NFLPA?

Will there be any punishment imposed on the NFL for this?

Surprised the NFL hasn't hired Exponent to do a study on connections between football and brain disease.

I'm guessing the NFL probably did hire both Exponent & Wells initially.

This has gone far beyond Exponent's ability to manufacture or alter medical pathology reports and scientific studies to fit neatly into a beneficial package however.

There's more. lol

Daniel Wallach ‏<s>@</s>WALLACHLEGAL <small class="time"> 9m9 minutes ago </small> The NY court once threatened to impose an “adverse inference” against NFL due to its efforts to prevent discovery:

CjOlGDCUYAEQwmp.jpg

Daniel Wallach ‏<s>@</s>WALLACHLEGAL <small class="time"> 6m6 minutes ago </small>

Ironically, several months earlier, the NFL deployed the "adverse inference" rule against Brady

Asshats.

I'm guessing the NFL probably did hire both Exponent & Wells initially.

This has gone far beyond Exponent's ability to manufacture or alter medical pathology reports and scientific studies to fit neatly into a beneficial package however.

Only because they've been publicly called out too loudly now.

Remember, those dicks argued cigarettes don't cause cancer. An even bigger fish than this, by far, at the time.

46 years of my 50 years of life the NFL has been a major part of my life. If the Feds shut down the NFL today for good I would have tears of joy. The NFL is corrupt and it needs to die and those billionaires need to be made bankrupt.

Only because they've been publicly called out too loudly now.

Remember, those dicks argued cigarettes don't cause cancer. An even bigger fish than this, by far, at the time.

My point: It's easy to massage numbers in a table. It's impossible to change CTE on either a PET, scan, CT scan or a microscope slide to fit something else. Not only that, the NFL should be shaking in their boots now that CTE can be diagnosed in a living patient reliably by conventional PET techniques.
I hope a mod can move this picture over, please.
<figure class="image-caption-container image-caption-container-right" style="display: inline-block; float: right; height: auto; margin: 10px; width: 400px;">
242445_Champeau-NFL%20%282%29.jpg
<figcaption style="display:block;" class="image-caption">Left image shows a normal brain scan; middle and right images show scans of pro football players from the study. Green and red colors demonstrate the higher level of tau protein found in the brain. Note the higher levels (more red and green) in the players' scans. Scans of the players in the study reflect differing levels of tau protein and follow a pattern of progression similar to the tau deposits that have been observed at autopsy in CTE cases. (Courtesy of David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA )

http://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news/2016/02/omalu-we-successfully-identified-cte-living-person
</figcaption></figure>

Sally Jenkins from the Washington Post hits a home run again.
She deserves the clicks, so please go to the link.

The NFL acts as if it’s above science and the law — and that’s unacceptable

This is the closing statement:

The NFL is not mere frivolous entertainment; it’s a giant conglomerate that impacts public policy and affects 32 American cities. Its stance on concussions helps determine how millions of families treat their children’s heads, and its handling of workplace issues has a similarly broad influence on employers. Apparently, when it’s not trying cripple the rights of its employees, it is quietly delegitimizing scientific process, with a potential for compromising public health.

The league’s impact on its audience therefore bears serious governmental examination. This is obviously an entity that needs constant inquiry, with the power of legal discovery and subpoena, to keep it in check.

Sally is oasis of sanity for sure. She responds to her emails too and I have had an exchange with her going for some months now. Very bright lady.

My point: It's easy to massage numbers in a table. It's impossible to change CTE on either a PET, scan, CT scan or a microscope slide to fit something else. Not only that, the NFL should be shaking in their boots now that CTE can be diagnosed in a living patient reliably by conventional PET techniques.
I hope a mod can move this picture over, please.
<figure class="image-caption-container image-caption-container-right" style="display: inline-block; float: right; height: auto; margin: 10px; width: 400px;">
242445_Champeau-NFL%20%282%29.jpg
<figcaption style="display:block;" class="image-caption">Left image shows a normal brain scan; middle and right images show scans of pro football players from the study. Green and red colors demonstrate the higher level of tau protein found in the brain. Note the higher levels (more red and green) in the players' scans. Scans of the players in the study reflect differing levels of tau protein and follow a pattern of progression similar to the tau deposits that have been observed at autopsy in CTE cases. (Courtesy of David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA )

http://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news/2016/02/omalu-we-successfully-identified-cte-living-person
</figcaption></figure>

Just a different era and data set.

I bet when Exponent was arguing it's cig/cancer stance there were data sets, graphs, scans, x-rays, etc all discrediting their point and yet they were able to successfully argue against millions, not hundreds.

Their restraint has no bounds.

Sally Jenkins from the Washington Post hits a home run again.
She deserves the clicks, so please go to the link.

The NFL acts as if it’s above science and the law — and that’s unacceptable

This is the closing statement:

Her last sentence says, "The league’s impact on its audience therefore bears serious governmental examination. This is obviously an entity that needs constant inquiry, with the power of legal discovery and subpoena, to keep it in check."

Does anyone think what happened to FIFA will happen here? At least FIFA tried to hide that they were a mafia run entity. The NFL does not even try to hide its corruption and bullying tactics. If Congress got involved here, can it also make a recommendation to the gov/Feds to do a full blown investigation into the league? I mean I would pay money to watch that unfold.

The NFL's answer is to fire the messenger:

Owners think NFL’s concussion message needs to be delivered better

:
:
:

“I think where we are remiss, is making our case for what we are doing and our sensitivity regarding concussions and what we are doing,” Jones said. “We need to say that more often, and we need to say it louder, and we need to not hurt it with being the wrong messenger. It doesn’t need to be self-serving, when at the end of the day it really is to make the game safer, make kids safer who play the game and benefit from playing the game.

“I think we need to say it better, we need to articulate it better and say it more often.”

Their critics will suggest that the problem has grown beyond one of perception, and remains one of its real medical issues. But with the league making major changes at the PR level in recent months, it’s clear that they plan to attack the problem by talking about it themselves, and trying to frame the argument as they see it.

Back