Richard Sherman

The reaction to his rant just went totally OTT. In the long run it may work out very well for Sherman as he got serious coverage for it! I can see a few juicy endorsements coming his way.

He's a good guy at heart, shouldn't have reacted that way, Carroll had a few words with him, Sherman apologised, move on....It really isn't a hyge deal. Some of the abuse he received has been terrible.

I've been very impressed with him, he's an intelligent guy and seems a good lad. He just goes OTT on the pitch but that's clearly what he needs to do to get him in the zone. It was funny when he was in N'Awlins interviewing fans as a reporter and asking who was the best Richard Sherman or Derrell Revis, all of the fans said Revis. He then introduced himself but he was very good in doing it, just laughing along with the embarrassed people.

He's a Tom Brady in a way, came from way down the draft line, not rated and has made a fool of a lot of scouts.

Imagine if he was a Patriot?? That would be freaking awesome...

I'm not saying that every instance or even the majority of instances are a one to one substitution.

But what I think does happen, is some people see a black man "act up" and immediately label that person a thug regardless of if the person is even remotely "thuggish." Richard Sherman went to Stanford. Now, Jaric may not have his fingers on the pulse of the streets, but I don't recall Dre or Biggie rapping about going to history class at Ivy League schools. Maybe those tracks never made it out of the studio.

I'm normally the first to roll my eyes at "code word" accusations but ask yourself this: if Richard Sherman looked like Tom Brady, do you think anyone would accuse him of being a "thug?"

No. Tom Brady is an Ugg.

I think in certain instances, "thug" acts as a more socially acceptable replacement for an N-bomb. I also don't think it can be denied that the term "thug" has at least a racial overtone to it.

What's the mental image that immediately pops to mind when you hear the word "thug?" Probably a black guy isn't it? (I'll admit it is for me, although anyone can be a thug obviously,)

Racist.

Yup, old people use the word thug to be racist.

Richard Sherman yelled he's the best corner in the game and did the choking sign.

Last week I went bowling and screamed I'm the best bowler in the game- then I fistpumped gang signs and threw up a FG sign1!

His little rant about thug being code for N word was cute
And he's not a thug anyway, he's a punk.
Thug= guys like Vick or Hernandez or guys who beat their women.

"Cute"? Yeah, it's actually widely agreed upon.

I'm glad that you settled that debate, though. Phew.

Yup, old people use the word thug to be racist.
I guess I count as old (60), but to me thug has always meant one thing - a violent, not-very-intelligent criminal. It can apply to people of any race.

It's not a term I find descriptive of Richard Sherman.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pLdLmZjluTE?list=PL26hyXouKB0aQ5odhr_jAsLBSzVpjixr_" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I guess I count as old (60), but to me thug has always meant one thing - a violent, not-very-intelligent criminal. It can apply to people of any race.

It's not a term I find descriptive of Richard Sherman.

It does describe AH, the rotten SOB.

Back