RIP John Madden

Mike Garofolo was talking about this on nflta. he said the most impressed he ever saw tom coughlin was when madden left him an appreciative voicemail after the nyg decided to play the pats straight up in the last game of 2007 instead of resting their starters.
R.I.P. coach. 😪

Always liked and respected Coach Madden. He approached the game with a lot of humor which was refreshing against some of the stiff collars who were his contemporaries.
I rarely missed a game the Raiders played bc I was a fan of Madden and Snake Stabler (Bama guy). Madden once said about Stabler "What made him so great was he just didn't give a damn." That nailed the Stabler I knew and heard about when he was at Alabama under Bear Bryant. He was disciplined more than once for boorish behavior but to college kids Stabler was a role model for party on.

RIP Coach Madden. You will be missed. I look forward to watching all the tributes for you coming soon. Condolences to your family.

When Daryl Stingley was paralyzed during the preseason game in Oakland, Madden was a regular visitor at the hospital and made sure Stingley got the best care possible.

He was a gentle giant and a true legend. When Madden and Summerall did your team’s game, you knew it was big.

Back