Scarnecchia

Also the tablet gaffe happened... :coffee:

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

..., it was what it was.
...and it what it is, and translating "Que sera, sera" it seems that what will be, will be.

:toast:

Cheers

The Denver crowd was a huge factor in that game. The Denver defense knew the silent count signal that Stork was using and always seemed to be half a step ahead of the oline. At Gillette, the Pats aren't using the silent count.

I'm not saying it's a blow out for the Pats, but I think it was the difference between a win and the loss.

Carolina had the same problem . Keeping pressure off Cam newton. That pass Rush was the main reason . They won that game . Brady was under heavy pressure the entire game . I don't think it mattered anywhere they played.

Carolina had the same problem . Keeping pressure off Cam newton. That pass Rush was the main reason . They won that game . Brady was under heavy pressure the entire game . I don't think it mattered anywhere they played.

The difference between the Pats and the Broncos, even with the Broncos home field advantage was a missed extra point. I think it's a fair assumption that if the game were played in Foxboro, it would have ended different.

For one thing the Pats would have been using the silent count that the Oline was having so much difficulty with.

The difference between the Pats and the Broncos, even with the Broncos home field advantage was a missed extra point. I think it's a fair assumption that if the game were played in Foxboro, it would have ended different.

For one thing the Pats would have been using the silent count that the Oline was having so much difficulty with.

I still have no idea why BB chose to take the ball after they won the coin toss.

I go off what I saw on that field . Denver dominated the entire game with a simple 3 , 4 & 5 man rush. Brady was under heavy pressure. Gronk made a lucky TD cutting in front of a double team.

I still have no idea why BB chose to take the ball after they won the coin toss.

To try to get up early on the road. I liked the call actually. Had Brady gone the field and got 7 there, it would have been a great way to control the game from the start. Also, I remember a couple of games during the season where the Pats loss the toss and the opponent elected to kick off and Brady took the offense right down the field for a TD.

To try to get up early on the road. I liked the call actually. Had Brady gone the field and got 7 there, it would have been a great way to control the game from the start. Also, I remember a couple of games during the season where the Pats loss the toss and the opponent elected to kick off and Brady took the offense right down the field for a TD.

I guess. It just seems that BB always deferred. I was psyched when they won the toss and then he elected to receive. It reminded me of the OT coin toss in the Jet game. There was confusion in my house as to what the heck just happened.

An NFL OG, Geoff Schwartz, sheds some light on why the Patriots offensive line fell apart in 2014 and 2015 after the retirement of longtime offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia.

https://dragplus.com/post/id/36770656

An NFL OG, Geoff Schwartz, sheds some light on why the Patriots offensive line fell apart in 2014 and 2015 after the retirement of longtime offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia.

Not to be a naysayer here but now these guys have to switch back from Guges to Scar.

I wouldn't expect miracles right away.

Not to be a naysayer here but now these guys have to switch back from Guges to Scar.

I wouldn't expect miracles right away.

All I want is observable improvement. Every single hit on TFB that doesn't occur is a good thing.

When I click that I get:

This site can’t provide a secure connection

dragplus.com uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

Anyone else have this or is it my machine?

When I click that I get:

Anyone else have this or is it my machine?

Here's the article, HS.

A current NFL player explains why offensive line coaches are all different.
Offensive guard Geoff Schwartz has not played for the New England Patriots. He is entering his 9th season in the league and is with his 5th team, currently the Detroit Lions. He was the guest writer for this week?s Monday Morning Quarterback.
He also just shed some light on why the Patriots offensive line fell apart in 2014 and 2015 after the retirement of longtime offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia.
(Ed. Note: I?ve added paragraph splits for ease of reading)
?I?ve played for six offensive line coaches in the NFL,? Schwartz writes. ?You might think OL play is simple enough to where the coaches are basically teaching the same things. Nope. Only two of my OL coaches taught the same technique. Ironically, these also have been my favorite OL systems.
?Everything linemen do in a system is for a purpose and has a reason. I can get down with that. So I?ve had to adapt to various ways to pass block.
?Some OL coaches teach strong inside hand, some want vertical sets, some want a jump set at 45 degrees. I?ve been taught two-hand punch, independent hand usage and outside hand punch. I?ve been taught three different ways to stop a bull rush and different aiming points on zone plays.
?How difficult could it be to pull right? Well if you?re pulling on power, some schemes take the guard inside (but always outside of the double team) and ask him to ?swab out? anything in the hole. Other schemes, if the guard sees it?s congested inside, then he adjusts and pulls around the blocks.
?It?s all madness. So you have to adapt and obey. You find out what the OL coach demands. You follow that.?
In three years, we?ve seen the Patriots offensive line deteriorate from ?pretty good? to ?ghastly? and I?m convinced the switch from Scarnecchia to Dave DeGuglielmo is a crucial reason for the decline.
This isn?t to heap the entire blame on Guge. Head coach Bill Belichick left the cupboard bare on the interior offensive line, getting by with Logan Mankins at left guard and a rotation of undrafted players or free agents at center and right guard, such as Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell, Donald Thomas, Brian Waters, and Nick McDonald. When Connolly retired, Wendell was sick, and Mankins was traded, the Patriots had little left to work with on the interior.
Belichick has changed gears in recent years, adding quality interior linemen like 4th round picks Bryan Stork, Tre Jackson, and Shaq Mason, and rookie 3rd round pick Joe Thuney- but the lack of development of the young players was a clear reason to move away from Guge and to ask Scarnecchia to return.
When Schwartz talks about how every offensive line coach is different, the same applies to Scar and Guge. Scar was a polished, demanding coach that brought the best out of franchise tackles Nate Solder and Sebastian Vollmer, and turned the undrafted interior linemen into wine.
Solder and Vollmer suffered through the worst campaigns of their careers over the past two seasons and the more-talented interior linemen were worse than their undrafted counterparts in the years prior under Scar.
We?ve covered the differences in Scar and Guge. Scar is a great teacher that puts a greater focus on technique. Guge is more brash and his history in a power-running offense meant he wanted his linemen to get their hands on defenders as soon as possible to control the line of scrimmage- and the result was poor technique and poor line play.
The linemen are already focusing on their technique and that will translate to the field. Guge might have had more success with a different team, but his coaching style was too drastically different from Scar?s to allow for a seamless transition.
Belichick and the Patriots now have an increasingly important task on their plate. Scar will be around to help the line, but for how much longer? If the franchise wants to avoid another decline in line play, they should hire an assistant to be Scar?s shadow and to absorb as much knowledge as they possibly can over the next couple of seasons.
Scar is a band-aid that will help fix some of the serious problems from the last few years. It?s supposed to be the Belichick way to find Scar?s replacement before it?s too late.

Thanks Chevss!
I thought that Daboll had been sort of the OL assistant of late? His terms as TE/WR coach and OC (elsewhere) would aid in that transition I would think.
But year if it's not he, they do need to find someone. Scar is bailing them out for now.

Sure this has been said before but the OL developments will be very interesting this summer.

Who will end up starting?
Who's getting cut?
Bringing in some more vets to backup at OT?

Will Cooper emerge as a bonefide stater?

Sure this has been said before but the OL developments will be very interesting this summer.

Who will end up starting?
Who's getting cut?
Bringing in some more vets to backup at OT?

Will Cooper emerge as a bonefide stater?

Great question and I'll certainly be very interested to see if Cooper looks anything like the guy he was at NC, where he was quite amazing to watch. I plan to focus on him closely and consider him one of the more intriguing stories of camp.

Based on measurables and athleticism he should be a mortal lock to start, but there are some very large questions about his desire to be what he could be or whether he is tough enough for the pro game. Simply blaming injuries doesn't really explain his failure to carve out a role for himself in Arizona.

I'm not going to assume anything, but if Cooper turns out to be the kind of dog that some folks think he is and he gets cut then we are still in good shape at the guard position, imo.

I have to believe that Joe Thuney isn't going to be sitting on the bench for long. That kid is a gamer.

Back