Seattle Injury Reportgate

Here's Mike Freeman's take on it.

10. The Patriots' Double Standard

Most of the time, I'm not a believer in conspiracies. They are for the weak-minded and excuse-makers. I do believe in double standards, however, and the Patriots are facing big, fat ones.

The news that Seattle's Richard Sherman and the Seahawks hid his knee injury—in full violation of the rules, according to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk—introduces an interesting what-if.

Imagine, for a second, we are transported to an alternate universe. In that universe, a Patriots star had a knee injury hidden by the team, and it was discovered after the season concluded. What would the reaction of the NFL be? Of the media? Of non-Patriots fans?

Bill Belichick would be brought before a Klingon tribunal.

The reaction to what the Seahawks did, though, has been mild. The injury report is a significant document. It keeps (or attempts to keep) everything on the record. It's far from successful, but it does often work.

What the Seahawks did, or in this case, did not do, should raise alarm bells across the league about their loose adherence to NFL rules.

Will it?

Nope.

From the NFL Ops web page

There's that "i" word again.

So who determines if the injury is significant or noteworthy? Pete (I'm guessing) apparently didn't think it was, or (again, I'm guessing) he wouldn't have said anything about it.

So who determines if the injury is significant or noteworthy? Pete (I'm guessing) apparently didn't think it was, or (again, I'm guessing) he wouldn't have said anything about it.

Earlier in the thread Pete is quoted as saying it was "legitimate" and that it "showed up".

Presumably the latter refers to an MRI or some other test.

Seems Pete thought it was "noteworthy"

Earlier in the thread Pete is quoted as saying it was "legitimate" and that it "showed up".

Dammit, Jim, he's a <strike>cheerleader</strike> head coach, not a doctor.

Do you really expect a professional football head coach to be able to determine that a player has a legitimate injury? (That's a rhetorical question, BTW.)

Dammit, Jim, he's a <strike>cheerleader</strike> head coach, not a doctor.

Do you really expect a professional football head coach to be able to determine that a player has a legitimate injury? (That's a rhetorical question, BTW.)

Well if said player could not get "jacked" and/or "pumped" then that might be a clue. :coffee:

Fantasy Football runs the league these days. Fantasy Footballers not happy with Pete.

Why do you think he's talking about it now, then? I don't think he's trying to rat himself out.

Fantasy Football runs the league these days. Fantasy Footballers not happy with Pete.

Actually no, its about a team knowing what to practice four. If there was no rule on it, you could say Brady broke his leg and will not play this weekend, hide Brady in a cast, secretly practice him in a tent and then put him in the starting lineup on game day.

Why do you think he's talking about it now, then? I don't think he's trying to rat himself out.

Personally I think he was trying to make an excuse for Sherman who had a down year both on the field and off the field.

:shrug_n:

He may not have properly understood the rule and thought as you suggested that since he didn't miss practice or any games, it didn't have to be reported.

If a team doctor had an MRI, or some other data that showed an injury, I would think that would constitute "credible, accurate and specific information about injured an player".

By rule that has to be released.

:shrug_n:

He may not have properly understood the rule and thought as you suggested that since he didn't miss practice or any games, it didn't have to be reported.

If a team doctor had an MRI, or some other data that showed an injury, I would think that would constitute "credible, accurate and specific information about injured an player".

By rule that has to be released.

Kind of like how BB stated he didn't really think taping signals from the field in 2007 was wrong as long as you didn't use them in the same game. Right?

Hold the phones, Schefter is saying the Hawks may lose their 2nd round pick because of this.

Hold the phones, Schefter is saying the Hawks may lose their 2nd round pick because of this.

Wow. That seems like an overreaction. I could see it if the Patriots were involved, but when it's any other team, I would think a $25K fine would be sufficient.

:coffee:

Mortensen is saying their repeated violations means they are getting a much higher penalty.

Someone on Twitter pointed out that the Jets were hit with a 100K fine for tampering with Revies in 2015 and that was their 5th violation since 06 showing that Goodell lets the the Jets get away with anything.

WOW.

Seahawks may lose 2nd-round pick for not disclosing Richard Sherman injury

Posted by Josh Alper on January 19, 2017, 1:21 PM EST
ATLANTA, GA - JANUARY 14: Head coach Pete Carroll of the Seattle Seahawks runs out against the Atlanta Falcons prior to the game at the Georgia Dome on January 14, 2017 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Scott Cunningham/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Seahawks coach Pete Carroll admitted this week that the team failed to disclose a knee injury that cornerback Richard Sherman was dealing with throughout the regular season, saying “he never missed anything” as a way of explaining why the team didn’t share the information.

The Seahawks could be missing something as a result of not disclosing Sherman’s condition. PFT reported that the NFL is looking into the situation; Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the team may lose a second-round pick as a penalty.

The league has issued fines in the past when teams haven’t shared full injury information, but there can be additional discipline handed down if teams have multiple offenses of league policies. The Seahawks have run afoul of the league three times due to violations of the rules governing offseason work, which led the NFL to strip a week of organized team activities this offseason and a fifth-round pick from the team.

There’s no word on when the league might announce any penalties for the Seahawks as a result of Carroll’s admission that their injury reports were incomplete during the regular season.

the Jets were hot

You should never use the words "Jets" and "hot" in the same sentence.

You nearly caused a rift in the space-time continuum. The only saving grace is that the Cosmic AI determined that it was a typo - otherwise it would have had to close out our Universe and start up a new one where Lingerie Football dominates all other sports.

You should never used the words "Jets" and "hot" in the same sentence.

You nearly caused a rift in the space-time continuum. The only saving grace is that the Cosmic AI determined that it was a typo - otherwise it would have had to close out our Universe and start up a new one where Lingerie Football dominates all other sports.

The Gods informed me of the typo and warned me of the consequences to the universe if something like that is ever repeated.....

So now we know why BB puts damn near every player on the injury report every week, Seattle has no one to blame but themselves on this one. Goodell will bring the hammer because he can.

Back