Seattle Injury Reportgate

bideau

Offering friendly advice
Reaction score
NFL declines comment on Seahawks’ failure to disclose Richard Sherman injury

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2017, 3:08 PM EST

Amazingly, the Seahawks blatantly violated the rules of the NFL’s injury reports by concealing a knee injury to cornerback Richard Sherman. Even more amazingly, coach Pete Carroll freely admitted to it.

Not surprisingly, the NFL is saying nothing about it. Reached by PFT for comment on the situation, the NFL had none.

Actually, that’s a little surprising. In past situations like this, the league has at times acknowledged that it is reviewing the matter. In this case, the league hasn’t even gone that far. (The league took a similar approach when Raiders guard Kelechi Osemele was a surprise scratch on a Thursday night due to an illness that was not previously disclosed by the team.)

One league source expressed outrage over the Sherman situation, pointing out that deliberate failure to comply with injury-reporting rules compromises the integrity of the game in a significant way.

“They flat-out lied week after week to the league and the public,” the source said. “How is that different from any of the Patriots’ ‘-gates’?”

As the NFL prepares to authorize the relocation of the Raiders to Las Vegas, full compliance with the injury-reporting rules becomes paramount to the integrity of and public confidence in professional football. Transparency regarding potential violations becomes even more important, since the public needs to know when teams have been caught cheating when it comes to the injury reports.

Unless, of course, cheating on the injury reports is so widespread that the league doesn’t want the public (or the public servants who work in Congress) to realize that the violations are sufficiently rampant to amount to inherent corruption.

It’s frankly impossible to know whether and to what extent violations have occurred if the NFL’s position is going to be to say “no comment” and move on, hopeful that everyone else will move on, too.

It's not the Patriots?
Nevermind (tm BostonTim)

I love the way these injury reports always come out after the facts. Oh player X didn't play as well because he was injured. What baloney.

I mean, haven't the Seahawks gotten into trouble TWICE for practice violations?
I think those are almost worse, because they violate a contract between the players and the owners.

We already know that ignorance of rules is a loss of a 1st round pick and a 500K fine.

:coffee:

Pete Carroll admits to injury-reporting violation

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2017, 8:19 PM EST

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll accidentally wandered into quicksand on Monday during a radio appearance, admitting that cornerback Richard Sherman played for much of the year with an MCL injury to his knee that never was disclosed. At his end-of-season press conference conducted later in the day, Carroll admitted to the violation.

“I didn’t realize that we hadn’t even revealed it,” Carroll told reporters, via the transcript generated by the team. “I don’t even remember what game it was, it was somewhere in the middle, he was fine about it, he didn’t miss anything. Same with Russell [Wilson], he was fine about it. I don’t know how they do that, but they did.”

Carroll seems to believe that, because Sherman never missed practice or game time due to the injury, the injury didn’t need to be disclosed.

“He never missed anything, just like Russell [Wilson], Russell never missed anything and Tyler [Lockett], they all had it during the course of the season and they just made it through it,” Carroll said, overlooking the fact that Russell’s MCL injury was properly disclosed. “They never complained, they didn’t want to miss a practice and they basically didn’t miss anything but they were legit, it was legit injury, it showed up and the whole thing. That’s a challenge for anyone. Guys over the league are going through the same thing, our guys just happen to be doing it as well.”

None of this changes the fact that the Seahawks failed to disclose the injury.

“I’m feeling like I screwed that up with not telling you that,” Carroll eventually conceded. “He was OK, so I don’t know, he never missed anything I guess is probably why.”

Still, that’s not the standard. Plenty of players who never miss practice or games nevertheless are disclosed on the injury report. While the league rarely slaps a team for violating the rules, the league rarely has such clear evidence of a violation fall into its lap.

Coupled with a pair of offseason workout violations from the past three offseason, the NFL could be inclined to take potentially significant action against a team that has developed a pattern of breaking the rules. Or, perhaps more accurately given the prevalence of cheating in the NFL, that the Seahawks have developed a pattern of getting caught.

Non-disclosure of injury puts Vegas at a serious disadvantage.

Bookies have families to feed, too.

How dumb is Carroll for admitting it?

Non-disclosure of injury puts Vegas at a serious disadvantage.

Bookies have families to feed, too.

bookies knew, they always know.

how many things have to happen and be ignored before the NFL is exposed as corrupt? this is a continuous stream of little things that are OK that if other teams did it would be a rule violation and a draft pick.

KC and NE fans should be pissed at this preferential treatment many teams get.

I just visited a Seattle fan forum to read their thinking and was surprised to see they had a thread with a poll grading Sherman for his performance this year. Many of them feel he is slipping and also becoming too big of a distraction off the field with his run in with the coaches and their play calling and the media. Apparently even Chancellor has called him out. Interesting stuff. I do wonder if 2 years later that Super Bowl loss is tearing that team apart. Many of the fans want Bevell fired and are losing faith in Petey as well.

Don't let it. The NFL can't have parity unless it penalizes good teams and doesn't penalize bad teams. I doesn't seem to be working, though.

IIWII.

And fans of other teams will continue to believe that only the Patriots do shit like this.

I'm still very bitter over the $100,000 fine the Jets received for tampering with Revis.

And fans of other teams will continue to believe that only the Patriots do shit like this.

I'm still very bitter over the $100,000 fine the Jets received for tampering with Revis.

They'll believe that regardless, but more and more people are seeing the corruption that is the NFL.

NFL looking into failure to disclose Richard Sherman injury
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...o-failure-to-disclose-richard-sherman-injury/

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

This little chart is interesting. You can see just how much the Seattle D has come down since '13/'14.

Seahawks chart comparing 2013-2014 to 2015-2016.

C2Yn7LzUoAAPkPj.jpg

Pete may very well be correct, that because Sherman never missed practice or game time due to the injury, the injury didn’t need to be disclosed. Teams no longer have to list the "probable" category on the injury report.

Pete may very well be correct, that because Sherman never missed practice or game time due to the injury, the injury didn’t need to be disclosed. Teams no longer have to list the "probable" category on the injury report.

Nope.

From the NFL Ops web page

2016 NFL Injury Report Policy August 30, 2016

Clubs are responsible for reporting the information accurately to the public, to the opposing team, local and national media, broadcast partners and others.

The Injury Report Policy is comprised of three sections:

The Practice Report provides clubs and fans with an accurate description of a player’s injury status and how much he participated in practice during the week. If any player has a significant or noteworthy injury, it must be listed on the practice report, even if he fully participates in practice and the team expects that he will play in the team’s next game. This is especially important for key players whose injuries may be covered extensively by the media.

The policy requires that teams provide credible, accurate and specific information about injured players to the league office, their opponents, local and national media, and the league’s broadcast partners each week during the regular season and postseason.

The reporting process is of paramount importance in maintaining the integrity of the game.

There's that "i" word again.

Back