So... who do they keep?

JD10367

Reaction score
Now that it's officially the offseason...

I think Hightower is a must. Sheard and Bennett will probably command too much. Branch, Blount, Bolden, Ryan, and Harmon would all be good as well. Vollmer probably is gone. And I say keep Jimmy G.

I think Hightower is a must. Sheard and Bennett will probably command too much. Branch, Blount, Bolden, Ryan, and Harmon would all be good as well. Vollmer probably is gone. And I say keep Jimmy G.

Once they recover from the Super Bowl hangover, Bennett, Branch, Ryan and possibly Harmon will seek top dollar. Hightower will get paid by BB. Sheard and Bolden are decisions that need to be made. Blount is shown the door.

I'd like to see them keep Ryan and Sheard. Draft a TE to develop to replace Bennett.

Tough decisions, though.

Agree about Hightower but I could see Cleveland offering him an historic contract so I would not literally say he is a "must". Shocked that anyone would say keep jimmy g. So I made a poll.

Zero chance they lose Hightower. He's one of Belichick's "guys" and will get paid. I think Bennett, Sheard and Ryan are as good as gone. I wouldn't be surprised if Gostkowski the surprise cut this year, too.

Zero chance they lose Hightower. He's one of Belichick's "guys" and will get paid. I think Bennett, Sheard and Ryan are as good as gone. I wouldn't be surprised if Gostkowski the surprise cut this year, too.

I agree, except the kicker being cut would be no surprise. Maybe a trade for a 4th or something.

I think Harmon is a keeper. Have always liked him. He hits pretty hard, doesn't get beat very often and makes some really timely interceptions. Hightower and Butler are priorities but next I look towards Harmon as the keeper, unless some team throws ridiculous money at him.

Obviously Hightower and I really hope they keep Branch.

Not ready to kick Ghost to the curb just yet. He had an off year, but still only missed 5 FGs (less than a lot of guys). I trust him more to get back in form than some newbie.

I think Belichick offers Hightower ~$10mm/yr, and that it will be up to Hightower whether he takes it or not.

Bennett's gone if he's turning down $7mm/yr.

To the shock of everyone, I think Logan Ryan and Duron Harmon both re-sign to what might be considered somewhat pricey contracts. The Rutgers hype is real, folks.

Sheard is gone, and it's too bad, he had a lot of promise early on.

They bring two FA kickers into camp to compete with Gostkowski.

Oh, and Alan Branch is a lock, I'm surprised he hasn't signed already. He's this group's Ted Washington.

Branch had his best year ever, but he is getting up there. I'd definitely want him back and High is a given.

I'd hate to have to make a choice between Harmon and Ryan if you could only pay one of them, but we might have more options at corner such as Jones who killed it on ST this year. I happen to think Ryan is a lot better than a lot of folks around here seem to. I watched him a lot versus DeAndre Hopkins in the first Houston game and he was on him like a bulldog on a mailman. You can never have too many capable corners, but I don't think Jonathan Richards is ever going to be able to start for this team.

I think Blount, Vollmer, Sheard and Bennett will all be gone. We've got a lot of decisions to make at DE including Long and Ninkovich.

Bolden is like a cockroach, you'd like to get rid of him, but he's got other plans. He'll play for pocket change and they seem to love his ST chops. Certainly he provides nothing at RB.

Branch had his best year ever, but he is getting up there. I'd definitely want him back and High is a given.

I'd hate to have to make a choice between Harmon and Ryan if you could only pay one of them, but we might have more options at corner such as Jones who killed it on ST this year. I happen to think Ryan is a lot better than a lot of folks around here seem to. I watched him a lot versus DeAndre Hopkins in the first Houston game and he was on him like a bulldog on a mailman. You can never have too many capable corners, but I don't think Jonathan Richards is ever going to be able to start for this team.

I think Blount, Vollmer, Sheard and Bennett will all be gone. We've got a lot of decisions to make at DE including Long and Ninkovich.

Bolden is like a cockroach, you'd like to get rid of him, but he's got other plans. He'll play for pocket change and they seem to love his ST chops. Certainly he provides nothing at RB.

Bolden tends to fumble a lot when given the chance...

Bolden tends to fumble a lot when given the chance...

Brandon Bolden 2016: 1 carry, 4 yards, 2 receptions, 15 yards.

The days of Brandon Bolden on offense are over, thankfully.

He would, however, be the best special teamer on every other team except this one. He'll sign a 'slightly above vet minimum' contract and will be back.

Branch is our best big DL so please bring him back.

And Bolden the cockroach is "our" cockroach.

According to Over the Cap, the Patriots have $65,000,000 in cap space. Miguel has them at around $62,000,000.

Here is a link to the Over the Cap calculator. On the right hand side is a list of all the Patriots FA's.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/new-england-patriots/

With this you can do your own calculations. The Patriots have enough cap space to keep most of the players and that includes hitting Hightower with a franchise tag.

Butler is a RFA. If the Patriots can't sign him to a long term deal, they can go with a 1st round tender. Any team that signs him will have to give the Patriots a 1st round pick in this years draft.

With the 1st round tender, Butler will get $3,200,000 instead of the $600,000 he made this year.

Back