Soccer Thread

I confess, I haven't watched a minute of the WWC.

After getting into the European Game I can't even watch MLS anymore, never mind the Women. A Women's World Cup game has a similar skill level to a top U14-U16 Boys Club team (In the US, not say the Barca U14s)

I confess, I haven't watched a minute of the WWC.

After getting into the European Game I can't even watch MLS anymore, never mind the Women. A Women's World Cup game has a similar skill level to a top U14-U16 Boys Club team (In the US, not say the Barca U14s)

I confess, I haven't watched a minute of the WWC. After getting into the European Game I can't even watch MLS anymore, never mind the Women. A Women's World Cup game has a similar skill level to a top U14-U16 Boys Club team (In the US, not say the Barca U14s)
My school's soccer team would crush the U.S. women's team. We were the best private school team in New England, with kids playing at Dartmouth, the Revs developmental team, and many other great programs .

It can still be enjoyable to watch. Same way WTA can be watched even if Serena would routinely get bageled by some random D1 player.

Interesting Copa America game between Argentina and Uruguay last night.

Uruguay played pretty negative, but it was still compelling. I thought Macherano was going to get sent off, he was pissed about the hack-a-shaq treatment that Messi was getting.

I am watching the gals play.... and enjoying it...

Sure, it's not the skill level of the guys, even the younger guys...

But there really isn't any flopping either... that's gotta count for something... :coffee:

But there really isn't any flopping either... that's gotta count for something... :coffee:

still young, the flopping happens later in life...when the skills diminish but experience is worth so much.

I told my daughter (a keeper) what happened in the USWNT game and she said "You know, when you are playing in the World Cup you kind of have to put it on frame".

The only reason you should not score on a PK is if the goalie guesses right... and even then, it should be 50/50

The only reason you should not score on a PK is if the goalie guesses right... and even then, it should be 50/50

Actually, a properly struck penalty should beat a keeper at least 80% of the time, even if they go the right way. Of course, that's easy to do in training.

The guy who stands out for me is Ray Stewart, the West Ham and Scotland right back in the 80s. He was lethal, but not a trickster. He just smacked the ball very hard and accurately.
Posted via Mobile Device

I enjoyed the game and watching the US women outclassing one of the best futbol countries in the world. I'd love to see the men get there someday and would be interested in opinions as to why our chicks are so much more competitive on the world stage.

Quite aside from the missed penalty shot it was clear that the better team won the day.

My other comment is that the US seems to me to play a remarkably coherent game and are advanced at team defense and pretty solid at maintaining possession. One thing that drives me nuts about the US men is that there is STILL a tendency to just boot the ball downfield and hope for the best instead of keeping control and working it upfield. The best teams seem to play that way but we just say fvck it and go for a hail mary way too often. It's so.......american.

Also, Alex Morgan is awesome. She is a handful to defend and goes full bore all the time. I think she'll be one of the best in the world soon if she isn't there already. Nobody can stop her without fouling. She makes things happen.

People who say that women's soccer sucks are missing the boat. In some ways it's easier for non-futbol junkies like most of us to appreciate. It's the teamwork that stands out. These chicks work together beautifully.

I enjoyed the game and watching the US women outclassing one of the best futbol countries in the world. I'd love to see the men get there someday and would be interested in opinions as to why our chicks are so much more competitive on the world stage.

Easy.

If you are a great young female athlete in the US, soccer is your best choice for being a top athlete and becoming famous albeit not rich.

If you are a young male athlete in the US you have multiple choices about which sport you might pursue and in truth, if you are really athletic, soccer might not be your first choice.

To put it another way, in most towns the best female athletes play soccer (at least as a team sport), the best male athletes split between soccer, football, baseball, basketball, hockey and lacrosse.

To put it yet another way, if Barry Sanders, Dionne Sanders, Jerry Rice, Bo Jackson and all their pals played soccer from childhood to adulthood we'd be a perennial world cup favorite.

Plus to some extent people just don't give much of a damn about women's soccer in Europe. At least that's the impression I get.

Easy.

If you are a great young female athlete in the US, soccer is your best choice for being a top athlete and becoming famous albeit not rich.

If you are a young male athlete in the US you have multiple choices about which sport you might pursue and in truth, if you are really athletic, soccer might not be your first choice.

To put it another way, in most towns the best female athletes play soccer (at least as a team sport), the best male athletes split between soccer, football, baseball, basketball, hockey and lacrosse.

To put it yet another way, if Barry Sanders, Dionne Sanders, Jerry Rice, Bo Jackson and all their pals played soccer from childhood to adulthood we'd be a perennial world cup favorite.

That's an excellent point. If you guys turn your hand to soccer properly, the better nations (and I don't include England in this) will be worried. I think it's worth stating, as well, that the men's team is getting better, albeit slowly.

Plus to some extent people just don't give much of a damn about women's soccer in Europe. At least that's the impression I get.

I should probably elaborate on this point, because I see that it could be read as a way to diminish the success of the US women's team, but that wasn't the intention.
I was simply thinking about college scholarships. In tennis, for instance, it's very very hard to get a scholarship these days because players from all over the world basically vacuum everything up and leave a few players fighting for scraps.
Not quite so in women's soccer, at least I don't think so.

Back