Star Wars: The Force Awakens

There is a Star Wars trailer where the black guy is swinging a light saber around. But the light saber does not cut thru a "gun" that a storm trooper is holding.

Thought a light saber cuts thru everything ...
or does it depend on the User to have "the force "??

There is a Star Wars trailer where the black guy is swinging a light saber around. But the light saber does not cut thru a "gun" that a storm trooper is holding.

Thought a light saber cuts thru everything ...
or does it depend on the User to have "the force "??

I don't know. I saw that too. Either they're going the stupid EU route and coming up with material it can't cut through, or there's some sort of forcefield around the metal we can't see. I hope it's the latter.

Because yeah, normally a lightsaber can cut through anything. (If you ignore the retarded EU or cartoon shows)

I don't know. I saw that too. Either they're going the stupid EU route and coming up with material it can't cut through, or there's some sort of forcefield around the metal we can't see. I hope it's the latter.

Because yeah, normally a lightsaber can cut through anything. (If you ignore the retarded EU or cartoon shows)

A light saber doesn't cut through another light saber.

But in any event, according to Wookiepedia

When cutting through dense material, the immense electromagnetic field generated by the arc caused resistance rather than letting solid matter enter and interrupt the arc. This gave the blade a feeling of being solid when immersed in dense material. Rarely, some solid materials could actually pass through the electromagnetic field and short out the arc. Other electromagnetic energy fields and coherent energy were also repelled by lightsabers' arcs. These include most force fields, blaster bolts, and other lightsaber blades.

So if the actual bolts fired by the weapon "repel" a lightsaber, it isn't too much of a stretch to think that they can generate some sort of field that would also repel a lightsaber.

I only saw the scene in question once, but I seem to recall a noticeable blue light running the length of the barrel. Presumably this could be some sort of EM field that is designed to block lightsabers.

I bet they call it a "bayonet"

I decided that I was going to sit down and watch all of the Star Wars movies with my boys before the new one came out. I still remember when they made Episodes I, II, and III how I thought they were all steaming piles of crap. I thought maybe all these years later I would have softened on that stance a little bit. Nope. I almost feel like they should have done those three over before they even worried about anything after Episode 6. Then again by that time who knows what the original cast would look like.

I decided that I was going to sit down and watch all of the Star Wars movies with my boys before the new one came out. I still remember when they made Episodes I, II, and III how I thought they were all steaming piles of crap. I thought maybe all these years later I would have softened on that stance a little bit. Nope. I almost feel like they should have done those three over before they even worried about anything after Episode 6. Then again by that time who knows what the original cast would look like.

Once the Ewoks showed up, shit was over...

A light saber doesn't cut through another light saber.

But in any event, according to Wookiepedia

So if the actual bolts fired by the weapon "repel" a lightsaber, it isn't too much of a stretch to think that they can generate some sort of field that would also repel a lightsaber.

I only saw the scene in question once, but I seem to recall a noticeable blue light running the length of the barrel. Presumably this could be some sort of EM field that is designed to block lightsabers.

I bet they call it a "bayonet"

I meant any solid substances. Forcefields, other lightsabers, etc it doesn't cut through.

I've been doing the same thing with Episodes IV - VI. We have tix for the 20th so my kids (8 and 6) needed to freshen-up on main the characters from those films first.

We'll go back and watch I-III when we're just looking for something "Star Wars" to fill the time. I will say that the movies did get progressively better as they worked up to Episode III.

Definitely looking forward to the stand-alone Boba Fett and Han Solo films that are rumored as well.

I've been doing the same thing with Episodes IV - VI. We have tix for the 20th so my kids (8 and 6) needed to freshen-up on main the characters from those films first.

We'll go back and watch I-III when we're just looking for something "Star Wars" to fill the time. I will say that the movies did get progressively better as they worked up to Episode III.

Definitely looking forward to the stand-alone Boba Fett and Han Solo films that are rumored as well.

Agreed. III was heads and shoulders above the disasters that were I & II.

I agree, the problem was more Lucas than any of the actors.

Portman wasn't the only one to have a poor performance. Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Samuel Jackson, etc. all were underwhelming.

If you have the time, it's worth watching the video reviews of the movie by Mr Plinkett

They're long, but are funny as hell.

He also points out that there are huge parts of the prequels that consist of "walking and talking" or 'sitting and talking", with the camera shots simply switching from one head shot to another.

He also contrasts this with IV through VI.

One example is the scene where one of the Empire officers walks into Vader's room where we see for just a moment his face with the helmet off.

He points out how with one 10 second bit of film he tells more than 30 minutes of "walking and talking".

How the audience see's his face, knows that he's been injured, and that's why he wears the helmet.

Far more interesting a way than the "walking and talking" and taking advantage of just what film provides: a visual pallet to tell a tale.

None of that exists in the prequels.

The walking and talking was Lucas's devotion to computer graphics. "Pretend there is an alien being right in front of you- now act".

You can tell by the ads they have gone back to using some staging. More interaction between the actors

Those Pinkerton videos were interesting ..

Going to a free private screening this Friday during work hours. Hate away, folks. :coffee:

I'm going Thursday night (17th). A vendor we use does this will all the new "big movies" but this is the first time I've taken them up on it.
I'll be sure to post all about it in full details when I get back from it.........

:coffee:

I'm going Thursday night (17th). A vendor we use does this will all the new "big movies" but this is the first time I've taken them up on it.
I'll be sure to post all about it in full details when I get back from it.........
:coffee:

I will Force choke the sh*t out of you. :jedi-smiley:

Fred Savage ‏<s>@</s>thefredsavage <small class="time"> 9h9 hours ago </small> Amazing!Amazing!Amazing! In awe. It's all you want it to be.Old/new/funny/heartbreaking.Daisy Ridley is astonishing!

Rebecca Keegan @ThatRebecca
Story, characters, design, humor -- #StarWars fans, this is the movie you're looking for.
<time class="dt-updated" datetime="2015-12-15T05:40:35+0000" pubdate="" title="Time posted: 15 Dec 2015, 05:40:35 (UTC)">12:40 AM - 15 Dec 2015</time> · Los Angeles, CA, United States

Patton Oswalt @pattonoswalt JJ did it. #StarWarsForceAwakens
<time class="dt-updated" datetime="2015-12-15T06:31:29+0000" pubdate="" title="Time posted: 15 Dec 2015, 06:31:29 (UTC)">1:31 AM - 15 Dec 2015</time>

Rob Lowe @RobLowe There's a new hero in town, in a movie that DELIVERS. Cried like a baby, whooped like a teen! #StarWarsForceAwakens
<time class="dt-updated" datetime="2015-12-15T06:16:32+0000" pubdate="" title="Time posted: 15 Dec 2015, 06:16:32 (UTC)">1:16 AM - 15 Dec 2015</time>

I knew in my heart when JJ took over this was going to be great, but the early reviews give a clue, and that is Terrific acting.

You can have all the special effects in the world, but if the acting stinks like cough prequels you get crap...

I cant freaking wait!!!

I will Force choke the sh*t out of you. :jedi-smiley:

I'm the last person that would go ruining it for others so no worries there.... but it looks like it may take some time before everyone has a chance to see it so THEN we can talk about it.

Probably need a new thread for this that is only for people who have seen it so it can be discussed without the worry of spoiling it for anyone still waiting to go.

I'm the last person that would go ruining it for others so no worries there.... but it looks like it may take some time before everyone has a chance to see it so THEN we can talk about it.

Probably need a new thread for this that is only for people who have seen it so it can be discussed without the worry of spoiling it for anyone still waiting to go.
no posting a new thread for at least a week. I'm the type of guy that will peak.:mad:

Back