Stephen A. Smith says Newton will be Villainized if he beats Peyton*

I wish football was a team sport so those like Smith could talk about the Panthers vs. the Broncos rather than Newton vs. Manning. :coffee:

Anyhow, Smith's words are what I call media manure designed to cause controversy. Smith has put some crap in the wagon and now it's up to others to pile it full and spread it.

Same thing happened leading up to the Saints/Colts SB where the Colts were portrayed as the villains due to Katrina.

Now, don't get me wrong. Katrina was tragic and gut-wrenching. I still remember crying as I saw pictures of the devastation it caused and the people fighting to stay alive . . . along with the sad stories of those who didn't.

The time from the AFCCG to the SB was fun for me when it was the Bears vs. the Colts especially since I'd never been in the shoes of being the fan whose team was going to the SB. But, that same time leading up to the SB vs. the Saints was anything but fun as story after story was written about how the Saints deserved to win due to Katrina and how much it would mean to New Orleans.

Then there were the Saints fans who came to the Colts board. With the exception of one guy, they posted sermons about how much the Saints deserved to win. On the day of the SB, I think it was Boomer who was waving a Louisiana state flag on the set and telling us how much the Saints deserved to win.

Part of me was actually relieved when the Colts lost because I wouldn't have to hear anymore about the bad guy Colts robbing the Saints of their deserved win.

I hope that Smith's manure sits and rots all by itself in that wagon. Newton, the Panthers, and their fans don't deserve to be vilified because they are facing Peyton and the Broncos. They deserve the opportunity to enjoy the days ahead and the SB without being labeled as the bad guy merely because they want their team to be the best on the field.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/broncos/story/1636242-manning-might-be-my-last-rodeo

Peyton Manning Hints At Retirement, Tells Bill Belichick "This Might Be My Last Rodeo"

JAKE MARSING
Yesterday at 9:45 PM

Following the Broncos AFC Championship win, Peyton Manning made it increasingly clear that Super Bowl 50 will be his final NFL game. MHH Analyst Jake Marsing reports.

After four consecutive AFC West titles, a record-breaking 2013 season, and two Super Bowl appearances in just four years, it would be an understatement to say that Peyton Manning, 39, has led the Denver Broncos through one of the most prosperous periods in franchise history.
However, this season has been an entirely different story for the future first ballot Hall of Famer. Statistically, 2015 was a nightmare for Manning. His 17 interceptions led the NFL until the final week of the regular season, despite the fact he only started nine games.

It has become increasingly clear that the five-time NFL MVP will be playing in his final football game when the Broncos suit up against the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50 February 7th.

As orange and blue confetti rained down on Sports Authority field following Sunday’s 20-18 victory over the New England Patriots, microphones picked up Manning’s conversation with Patriots head coach Bill Belichick. “Hey, listen; this might be my last rodeo,” Manning said. “So, it sure has been a pleasure.” This clip aired on NFL Total Access Monday night.

While Manning certainly did not intend for his conversation with Belichick to be overheard, it provides fans their first real insight into how he views this season, and his impending fourth trip to the Super Bowl.

Manning has been consistently coy on the subject of retirement throughout his four years with the Broncos. Rarely has he gone beyond clichés when discussing his football mortality. In fact, his conversation with Belichick may be the first time he has actually used the words “my” and “last” consecutively since coming to Denver.

Yet, that conversation, and several of his actions following the victory seem to show clear indications that suggest “The Sherriff” plans to hang up his lasso after the final whistle sounds in Santa Clara two weeks from now.
Manning has never been one to reflect on his career. Yet, when handed the microphone during the trophy presentation by CBS’ Jim Nantz, the ever stoic quarterback began by doing exactly that.

“It’s been a special four years, playing here in Denver for these great fans and this great organization,” Manning said. “To be going to our second Super Bowl in four years is very special.”

Taking a moment to thank the Broncos and Broncos fans was a rare and public sentimental moment for a man who has spent the last eighteen years being hailed as a ruthless competitor.

However, once the cameras were gone and the lights were dim at Sports Authority Field at Mile High about two hours following the game, Manning seemed to enjoy one more sentimental moment. This one was just for him.
As grounds crews picked up the scraps of orange and blue paper that signified yet another milestone in his remarkable career, Peyton Manning was seen walking out onto the field with his family.

He paused for a moment to look around the building where he played in his first game after battling back from four neck surgeries, set the NFL’s all-time passing touchdown and yardage records, and won two AFC Championships.
Manning, holding his four-year-old son’s hand, soaked in his surroundings, picked up a handful of confetti, and walked out of the building for likely the final time as the quarterback of the Denver Broncos.

Goddamn it, this makes it almost impossible to root against him. This hit me in the feels.

and the next generation of QB's will be try to copy, then one up, his act and THAT will be the demise of the NFL into the NEL National Entertainment League - similar to the Wrestling name change.

i have been hearing this going all the way back to the days of the fun bunch and the overblown td celebrations, then it was for the guys celebrating every first down, the sack dances ect...newton is an ass but to pin the downfall of the nfl on his showboating might be a bit much.

Denver is done with Peyton* regardless if he loses the SB. There is no way Elway brings him back at $19 mil with his pea shooter arm and injuries given he is not juicing anymore.

In terms of Brock, Denver really screwed with that kid by benching him in that Chargers game. He was pissed on the sideline and rightfully so. Perhaps Elway can smooth things over but Brock is a FA at season's end so have to think he tests the waters. Some team like the Texans or even the Jets will offer a lot for him.

Sure he was pissed, but I would want and expect that from a competitor. I don't know if you all know this, but Osweiller was good friends and I think he was roommates with Elway's kid Jack in college. I'm sure there is nothing going on between Elway and Oz. To be benched for Manning isn't something to hang your head about. Oz will be the QB of the Broncos future. This is a QB league, and the Broncos have their hands on a good one. In John we trust.

Sure he was pissed, but I would want and expect that from a competitor. I don't know if you all know this, but Osweiller was good friends and I think he was roommates with Elway's kid Jack in college. I'm sure there is nothing going on between Elway and Oz. To be benched for Manning isn't something to hang your head about. Oz will be the QB of the Broncos future. This is a QB league, and the Broncos have their hands on a good one. In John we trust.

You can believe that if you want but Brock was performing better than Manning. Had beaten the Pats and Bengals and in no way was the main reason that the Broncos were struggling vs the Chargers. I would be shocked if he was not pissed and already fielding offers from other teams. Elway/Kubiak completely mis-managed this situation in an all out effort to get a ring for the Sheriff which may prove futile vs the Panthers. Denver will be in a world trouble next season. No Manning and Brock most likely playing for the Texans who will no doubt offer him more than Denver would. I would also imagine the Eagles would too as well and possibly the Jets. Denver fans will be crying for years over this very season as it cost your team its future at the most important position in football.

The sad part about that is that that dancing, preening and braying like a jackass is only going to make him tons of money and way more popular than he is even now.

I don't care for all the self-promotion stuff he does...
This. And he's definitely the poster child for the I'm a special snowflake generation.

Good thing his owner was worried about his getting tattoos though...:rolleyes:

Goddamn it, this makes it almost impossible to root against him. This hit me in the feels.

Was your dad a largemouth bass?

Because you've swallowed the hook.

That final scene was surely as scripted as we later found out the "I don't want it! You take it!" ball back n forth with Welker last year.

That final scene was surely as scripted as we later found out the "I don't want it! You take it!" ball back n forth with Welker last year.

Such a great post. Peyton has always made sure to have the perfectly manicured image. Gets if from his dad who is the biggest phony. I don't believe anything about him. He is and always has been all about the money.

Fortunately I don't have these same feelings. I want to see him get his teeth kicked in and see Denver continue with their tradition of getting smoked in SBs.

You can believe that if you want but Brock was performing better than Manning. Had beaten the Pats and Bengals and in no way was the main reason that the Broncos were struggling vs the Chargers. I would be shocked if he was not pissed and already fielding offers from other teams. Elway/Kubiak completely mis-managed this situation in an all out effort to get a ring for the Sheriff which may prove futile vs the Panthers. Denver will be in a world trouble next season. No Manning and Brock most likely playing for the Texans who will no doubt offer him more than Denver would. I would also imagine the Eagles would too as well and possibly the Jets. Denver fans will be crying for years over this very season as it cost your team its future at the most important position in football.

Totally agree with this. And I said as long as Manning doesn't take snaps under center, he wont work in this offense. He is taking snaps under center and the offense is running much better than it did before his benching. Physically Oz is better than Manning, but Manning offers game management and a real veteran sense of the game. Oz doesn't have that. Yet! But he will. And I will all but guarantee you Osweiller will be a Bronco next year.

welp, that has to be awkward for brock since elway's kid is a woman abuser who got special treatment from the law.
http://deadspin.com/did-john-elways-son-get-special-treatment-in-his-assaul-1642129714

I see no reason why this is even a story? Jack Elway is probably as big an asshole as his dad is. I never said that John Elway is a good dude. In fact my personal opinion of the guy is that he is a complete jerk. But he is a successful jerk and has proven to be a winner in almost everything he touches. He is a Bronco for life, therefor the Broncos will be successful so I do trust Elway the GM. Oh and this was almost 2 years ago.

That's low if true. A bs scripted image is lame. I guess I can give Cam props for being himself, even if he is annoying.

Fortunately I don't have these same feelings. I want to see him get his teeth kicked in and see Denver continue with their tradition of getting smoked in SBs.

As a whole, yeah, I'd definitely like to see the Panthers run over the Broncos and completely embarrass them like the Seahawks did. Especially if the last part of that article was scripted. There's really no scenario I can see myself in where I'd root for the Donks to win.

Honestly...I really wanted to dislike Newton. I can't. He's a smart kid and a hell of a ball player. Definitely seems to have his head screwed on straight.

I like that Cam is taking this head on. It is what it is in today's media world where everything it seems is turned into a racial issue. I hope he uses it as fuel to blast the Donks on Feb. 7.

I guess I live in a very sheltered world because I don't know anyone at all who has ever discussed Newton in terms of his race, other than the mediots. :shrug:

I guess I live in a very sheltered world because I don't know anyone at all who has ever discussed Newton in terms of his race, other than the mediots. :shrug:

Yeah, it is the mediots. I think the idea of the black QB was novel back with Cunningham, Williams and even McNabb. These days it is a reach IMO. Just like with black coaches. But for whatever reason there are those in the media (Smith, Whitlock) that love to trump the race card because they just can't believe white America is not noticing race anymore at the most prominent position in sports. Or maybe it is just a story to fill the two weeks prior to the SB. I don't know. But for sure they are missing the DG babble. lol.

This 'controversy' sure feels media driven.

I could give a crap what Cam Newton does, but if the Broncos win and start giving it back to him, I hope they can deal with it.

Back