Stephon Gilmore?

He deserves to get paid imo.

You are right in that he is acting correctly and understandably in pursuit of a venue and paycheck more desirable to himself. But he's under a contract that says he doesn't deserve to get paid other than in accordance with that contract or in some other way as agreed to by him and the team. He accepted its terms by signing this contract. Every rookie UFA, good, bad or indifferent, is faced with RFA status after their third year. The tender system was designed as compromise between the teams (and their desires to not lose, after just three years, their rising undrafted RFAs without reasonable compensation) and the successful rookie UFAs' desires to get paid more commensurate with their abilities and contributions. The first round tender serves to provide the Patriots reasonable compensation, should Butler find a team willing to pay him good money and to give up their 1st or if a deal satisfactory to Butler can not be reached, to provide him with a much better paycheck, but not necessarily as much as he feels he deserves. It's not of course a perfect compromise. Compromise by definition isn't ever perfect.

In the end, the matter will resolve itself one way or another within the confines of the agreement. Which, definitionally, is what he deserves.

It seems to me that You and Butler and many others seem to imagine a right to resolve it on the equitable basis of some perceived fairness determined value. To approach this with the mindset of "But, but, but I REALLY deserve THIS paycheck." is to set yourself up to create anger and disappointment that may well be detrimental to both current and long term prosperity.

And finally this approach (IMO) cannot work with Bill. He in the end will decide if wrestling with Butler is worth it and if not he'll do what's best for the team surely to Butler's detriment.

I say this totally in support of Malcolm. He's our hero. We want him here, and in the alternative, we want what's best for him.

So it comes back to his inexperienced agent seemingly working to Malcolm's detriment. And in no way does it come down to what we or he thinks he deserves.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

Cheers

Sportshub said it best. Bb was going out to set the market. Not have it dictated by Bulter. I just can't see Bb giving two big CB big money contracts. I think the only way he stays is take 10 million a year. Sign a offer sheet and pats get a 1st

Sportshub said it best. Bb was going out to set the market. Not have it dictated by Bulter. I just can't see Bb giving two big CB big money contracts. I think the only way he stays is take 10 million a year. Sign a offer sheet and pats get a 1st

That is the gamble thought for Butler. What if the Pats DO match the $10 mil/year and then he is our number 2 corner effectively replacing Logan Ryan and never hitting FA.

That is the gamble thought for Butler. What if the Pats DO match the $10 mil/year and then he is our number 2 corner effectively replacing Logan Ryan and never hitting FA.
We have one of the best secondary in the league. The big question can Rowe play the slot CB. We do have the cap space to do that deal.

We have one of the best secondary in the league. The big question can Rowe play the slot CB. We do have the cap space to do that deal.

Sure. I want us to keep Butler. My post was about Butler and his precarious situation of being our #2 corner and forgoing FA. Rowe played slot last year and came on strong the second half of the season.

Sure. I want us to keep Butler. My post was about Butler and his precarious situation of being our #2 corner and forgoing FA. Rowe played slot last year and came on strong the second half of the season.
All reports says he wants to stay here. I think he wants a contract. Similar to Gilmore deal it's a front loaded contract . I don't thinks Bb will give out 2 huge contracts to CBs.

If the deal Butler eventually gets (assuming he signs his tender) from another team is like 5/50, or maybe even 5/55 - the Patriots will match that offer.

If the deal Butler eventually gets (assuming he signs his tender) from another team is like 5/50, or maybe even 5/55 - the Patriots will match that offer.

If Butler signs his tender and then gets a contract from another team without getting traded to that team first that would be the most obvious case of tampering in league history. Like, obvious enough that even Goodell would punish the other team and not the Patriots.

If Butler signs his tender and then gets a contract from another team without getting traded to that team first that would be the most obvious case of tampering in league history. Like, obvious enough that even Goodell would punish the other team and not the Patriots.

I meant an offer sheet. They (Butler and Feinstein and Forlizzi) do have until April 21st to negotiate offer sheets with other teams, with a signed tender.

So much for working side by side with Gilmore?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Saints?src=hash">#Saints</a> coach Sean Payton to AP: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Patriots?src=hash">#Patriots</a> RFA Malcom Butler visiting New Orleans on Thursday.</p>— Brett Martel (@brettmartel) <a href="https://twitter.com/brettmartel/status/841668702000967683">March 14, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I meant an offer sheet. They (Butler and Feinstein and Forlizzi) do have until April 21st to negotiate offer sheets with other teams, with a signed tender.

Yeah, i got what you meant. But he can only sign offer sheets until he signs his tender. Once he signs he's under contract with the Patriots and can no longer talk to any other team without the Patriots' permission.

Yeah, i got what you meant. But he can only sign offer sheets until he signs his tender. Once he signs he's under contract with the Patriots and can no longer talk to any other team without the Patriots' permission.

This is correct.

Have to wonder what the Saints are thinking though. If Butler signed his tender, they would have been able to do the straight up trade for Cooks (Patriots keeping #32).

At this point, if the Saints give him an offer, they'd have to give up #11. The Saints have a terrible secondary though, so I can see their desperation.

This is correct.

Have to wonder what the Saints are thinking though. If Butler signed his tender, they would have been able to do the straight up trade for Cooks (Patriots keeping #32).

At this point, if the Saints give him an offer, they'd have to give up #11. The Saints have a terrible secondary though, so I can see their desperation.

That would be an unreal deal for the Pats. Cooks for #32 and get Saints #11 for Butler. Or Saints could just give us #32 back too.

This is correct.

I think the Saints are trying to find a deal with Butler, then will talk with the Patriots about compensation (if that was not already discussed during the Cooks-trade). I'm guessing it would take #32 at least.

I think the Saints are trying to find a deal with Butler, then will talk with the Patriots about compensation (if that was not already discussed during the Cooks-trade). I'm guessing it would take #32 at least.

It would have to be. They sort of had their chance (assuming #32 = Butler previously in the original Cooks trade). At this point, Belichick would be kind of dumb to just take 32 and nothing else, when the league requires #11.

If at the end of the day this turns into Butler for Cooks with a side of swap-11-for-32 I fear the league may impose a warrant for the arrest of BB for Grand Larceny.

It would have to be. They sort of had their chance (assuming #32 = Butler previously in the original Cooks trade). At this point, Belichick would be kind of dumb to just take 32 and nothing else, when the league requires #11.

Agreed. 11 for Butler or the Pats hold on to him for a year and have the best Defensive Backfield in the league with a chance to sign him for 2018 or do a sign & trade.

Back