Stephon Gilmore?

Gilmore:

6'1"
26 years old
4.38 40
6.61 3-cone
36" Vert
10'3" Broad

Whoa, if I was Butler, I'd be a bit peeved this morning. Does everything the team asks of him and he gets tendered and some guy who's never played a down gets a huge contract? That's what he must be thinking as a player. BB has different priorities, but I can't blame Butler if he's thinking this.

Whoa, if I was Butler, I'd be a bit peeved this morning. Does everything the team asks of him and he gets tendered and some guy who's never played a down gets a huge contract? That's what he must be thinking as a player. BB has different priorities, but I can't blame Butler if he's thinking this.

Can't take it personally. It's just the nature of the contract/FA structure the players continue to agree to. It's on them. They have no votes too.

I like this young man to complement Butler because :

40 yard dash: 4.40
Bench press : 15 reps
Vertical Jump: 36"
Broad Jump: 123" ~10'
Height : 6.0'+
Weight : 190 lbs
Play Specialty: Man 2 man press !

He is a better formed, faster, ball hawk than Revis and can cover really tall opponent WRs, TEs, etc. in man 2 man press coverage which is his play specialty. :coffee:

Understood, but we have no idea what Butler is looking for or if his agent is or has been unreasonable and difficult. The negotiations are a black box.

I know the official numbers aren't released but if they signed him for $14M/year, then why didn't they just get Butler done instead? :shrug_n:
Because now they have Butler AND Gilmore.

What we don't know is if Butler was asking for the moon, too. If he priced himself outside of BB's perceived value, this deal makes sense.

Why? If Butler was willing to take $10 or $12 mil and the Pats turned him down and then paid Gilmore $14, I agree, but if Butler wanted $15 or $16 mil, and was willing to go to the team that paid the most, he has no cause to get upset if the Pats go to a player who was willing to take less.

It takes two to make a deal, and the Pats-Butler talks were described as "brief."

Besides, what's to complain about. He wanted more money and he was free to negotiate with the Pats for more money. Now he is free to negotiate with ANY team and work out any deal he wants. How is that a bad thing?

If he is worth as much as he believes he is, then he will be pleased with what will be offered him in FA.

What we don't know is if Butler was asking for the moon, too. If he priced himself outside of BB's perceived value, this deal makes sense.
Agree. I'd love to know what the Pats offered and what Butler wanted. They were far apart, though, if it is true that the negotiatiosn were "brief."

This is the plus side of letting players (Hightower, Ryan, etc) test the market. They either find out they weren't worth as much as they thought or they get a humongous contract, one that the Pats wouldn't have paid anyway.

Bill went down the dumb agent road with Welker. He was not going to do it again with Butler's guy. That is what may have happened given the talks were brief. Maybe Butler was upset at playing for $600,000 this season too.

1. BB thinks Gilmore is better (?)

2. Butler is demanding more than Gilmore and BB sees them as equals

3. BB figured if he signs Gilmore, he can get this season (and next if they tag Butler) with the 2 of them on the field and Butler would be super cheap this year. That's a season with 2 elite CBs instead of paying Butler, which would give them only 1.

4. Gilmore has pics of BB doing unsavory things to apple pie.

1. Maybe getting out of a Rex Ryan undisciplined roster will prove this to be correct.

2. again to be seen

3. This is the big one. IF he pays Gilmore and then franchises Butler for 16 million plus the roughly 4 million this year - he gets butler for two 20 or 10 per season.

It is a lot of money to tie up in the secondary adding in McCourty contract but we shall see how this team gets built the rest of the fresh off-season.

4. I believe it was a strawberry Rhubarb pie.

Saw somewhere we are facing a much better QB lineup this season.

Maybe that coincides with the notion nobody will pay near Franchise $ to MB AND give up a 1st and BB now has the stud secondary to combat the schedule properly.

Back