Stephon Gilmore?

Oh come on Bill, did you really have to sign a goddam coot?! :coffee:

Agree. I'd love to know what the Pats offered and what Butler wanted. They were far apart, though, if it is true that the negotiatiosn were "brief."

This is the plus side of letting players (Hightower, Ryan, etc) test the market. They either find out they weren't worth as much as they thought or they get a humongous contract, one that the Pats wouldn't have paid anyway.

It's true, we don't know what Butler was asking, but right now I'm putting myself in his shoes and I'd be angry. I can only go by what we know at this moment. I know all about it's a business and what the players voted on, but emotions don't pay attention to facts. Butler may well have been asking for the moon. In that case it's on him, but right now we don't know, and I can't blame him if he feels some resentment. Hopefully it will all work out.

It's a shame everything's set up so that the guys who have done the job for you frequently don't cash in with their old team, but a new guy comes in via free agency and makes huge dollars and hasn't done a thing for you yet. Guess that's the world of free agency!

The draft seems stocked with CB's this year, too. Probably means the first Pats pick this year will be for a corner.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I'm told Stephon Gilmore didn't find out about the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pats?src=hash">#Pats</a> interest until this am. Plenty of change for the CB, w/ a new baby on the way too.</p>— Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson) <a href="https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/839842673628438528">March 9, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm thinking Butler's blood pressure is running a little high right about now.

It's true, we don't know what Butler was asking, but right now I'm putting myself in his shoes and I'd be angry. I can only go by what we know at this moment. I know all about it's a business and what the players voted on, but emotions don't pay attention to facts. Butler may well have been asking for the moon. In that case it's on him, but right now we don't know, and I can't blame him if he feels some resentment. Hopefully it will all work out.

It's a shame everything's set up so that the guys who have done the job for you frequently don't cash in with their old team, but a new guy comes in via free agency and makes huge dollars and hasn't done a thing for you yet. Guess that's the world of free agency!
I agree with you that emotions don't pay attention to facts, but the fact is that Gilmore is a free agent and Butler is not. Them's the rules of the game.

It's tough on Butler, but either the Pats value Gilmore more than Butler or Butler wants more than they think he is worth.

I agree also that it's too bad that players can't cash in with their old team, but it takes two to make a contract. If a player thinks he is worth more than the team thinks he is worth, no deal is going to get done. If the player wants to get paid for what he did in the past, a deal is hopeless from the get-go.

I am hoping for Gilmore and Butler both playing in 2017.

I keep hearing about a Butler trade for Cooks and that is one thing I don't want to see. I have to say, though, if it does, there are worse things in the world than to give Brady the best WR he's ever had, possibly excepting 2007 Randy Moss.

I said I don't agree with paying players (Butler, for instance, to keep this on topic), but if there is one player who deserves something for what he's done in the past, it's Tom Brady. How nice to give his Cooks, Edelman, Hogan and Mitchell, and Gronk and Allen and maybe a nice third round draftee like Michael Roberts.

5 years for $65M with $40M guaranteed. So $13M/year. That guarantee is big, but total guarantees are often misleading.

5 years for $65M with $40M guaranteed. So $13M/year. That guarantee is big, but total guarantees are often misleading.

That because "40m Guaranteed" would include part guaranteed for injury only?

Cheers

I like this young man to complement Butler because :

40 yard dash: 4.40
Bench press : 15 reps
Vertical Jump: 36"
Broad Jump: 123" ~10'
Height : 6.0'+
Weight : 190 lbs
Play Specialty: Man 2 man press !

He is a better formed, faster, ball hawk than Revis and can cover really tall opponent WRs, TEs, etc. in man 2 man press coverage which is his play specialty. :coffee:

This will make defending trips formations way easier, because often, we will be able to put him alone on the single receiver away from trips. That makes structuring the rest of the coverage much simpler.

Gilmore will be able to take away the quick throws, hitches, "smoke" routes, and short yardage access throws on packaged plays that are popular on the single receiver side of trips, because of his pressing ability. You can minimize or take away that stuff by pressing, but with an average corner, you wouldn't want to risk pressing a lot, let alone 1 on 1 away from the trips side.

God I hope he is Stephon, not Erkle

latest

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Signed with the Patriots and my wife is having my daughter on the same day. What a Blessing &#55357;&#56911;&#55356;&#57342;</p>— The Gilly Lock (@BumpNrunGilm0re) <a href="https://twitter.com/BumpNrunGilm0re/status/840254590557790209">March 10, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Signed with the Patriots and my wife is having my daughter on the same day. What a Blessing ����</p>— The Gilly Lock (@BumpNrunGilm0re) <a href="https://twitter.com/BumpNrunGilm0re/status/840254590557790209">March 10, 2017</a></blockquote>

Congrats!

A day to remember fo sho.

Reiss on Gilmore's contract: 5 years with a $65M max value (base value, which is relevant for comp pick calculation, still unkown), includes $18M signing bonus.

Jeff Howe adds some pieces to the puzzle: $23M in year one and another $9M in year 2. Those $32M are fully guaranteed.

Back