The 2024 Draft

Where do I think he should go, or where should he go? He'll probably go mid-late first round, because it's going to be insane how many QBs go in the top 15, and he might be in that group.

To me, he's like a third-round pick kinda guy, but he'll go to some team in the first and disappoint, just like JJ Mccarthy and Bo Nix, and probably Drake Maye. I mean, I've seen Shadeur Sanders mocked in the first round, and he's a developmental guy to me as well - so we'll see.

It's probably worth pointing at Sam Howell after seeing where he's at. Even if he is an unusual case.

He was basically Drake Maye at one point earlier in his college days. A similar enough comparison. Everybody loved his arm etc., but then things went
sour and he was determined to be lacking.

He now looks almost exactly like he did when he was shredding people, but the experts missed the boat and Washington got lucky. 5th round.

i get that some of these rook/ second year qbs are wowing peeps. but...i try not to get that thrilled with them until 2 solid years as a starter. even when they have nfl skills,i want to see how they react once teams have film on their game and tendencies.

i get that some of these rook/ second year qbs are wowing peeps. but...i try not to get that thrilled with them until 2 solid years as a starter. even when they have nfl skills,i want to see how they react once teams have film on their game and tendencies.
What are your thoughts on Mac?

What are your thoughts on Mac?
i was willing to give him through the end of this season to see if he started improving. he is not. i think he will have to rehab his career elsewhere. i am not 100 ٪ opposed to keeping him for another year to get a better young qb or bridge qb. in general,i believe in giving a guy 3 years as a starter with decent continuity before i decide yea or nay. in theory,this should be easier to do now that rookie deals are more reasonable.

Problem with Mac and it always was and will be is arm strength. Period. People can nit pick a throw here or there and say "See! See! He has a good enough arm". Well the truth of the matter is he doesn't and that's why they can't win games. Hell his accuracy has gone down the toilet as well outside of a throw here or there.

Problem with Mac and it always was and will be is arm strength. Period. People can nit pick a throw here or there and say "See! See! He has a good enough arm". Well the truth of the matter is he doesn't and that's why they can't win games. Hell his accuracy has gone down the toilet as well outside of a throw here or there.
He does have a strong enough arm, when he steps into a throw. 90% of his problems are from bad mechanics.

He does have a strong enough arm, when he steps into a throw. 90% of his problems are from bad mechanics.

Problem is, in the NFL off schedule throws are important. If everything is perfect sure he can have a decent arm. That doesn't happen all the time and therefore that issue causes problems. I do agree better mechanics would help a bit, but that's not all of it.

so you're saying the're firing bb?(no trade down)😄

Oh, It's going to be Bill saying "uhhhh...yeahhh....we saw an opportunity to move down and pick up some extra picks, because
we're going to treat the draft like saturation bombing.....we can't really tell who can play, so, for instance, we plan to draft 5 or 6
receivers, or whatever, and hope one of them can help us."

Which are now common, but the maddening thing about Mac is how random his game seems to be. He takes a hit
and throws a dime on one play and then bonks out when there is still time to step into a throw and he quits scanning and
turtles. He looks very accurate for stretches and then misses by a mile.

If he was as consistent as Scrappy Bryant then maybe we could all agree on the guy one way or the other. Scrappy had
another typical day today, with Howell looking patiently in 27's direction for his guy to uncover, which usually doesn't take long.

i was willing to give him through the end of this season to see if he started improving. he is not. i think he will have to rehab his career elsewhere. i am not 100 ٪ opposed to keeping him for another year to get a better young qb or bridge qb. in general,i believe in giving a guy 3 years as a starter with decent continuity before i decide yea or nay. in theory,this should be easier to do now that rookie deals are more reasonable.

Perspective is everything. Supporting cast is essential. Key injuries are devastating. Under performing WRs are catastrophic.

Mac and #1 overall pick Trevor Lawrence have equivalent stats yet one is considered excellent and one may be dispensable.

Trevor Lawrence since being drafted (1st overall, 2021):

• 42 games played
• 931/1457 (64%)
• 9,689 passing yards
• 46 TD’s
• 29 INT’s
• 85.3 passer rating
• 18 wins

Mac Jones since being drafted (15th overall, 2021):

• 39 games played
• 813/1223 (67%)
• 8,439 passing yards
• 45 TD’s
• 32 INT’s
• 87.6 passer rating
• 18 wins

Almost identical careers from these two 2021 QB prospects. Maybe Mac isn't as bad as fans think. Or maybe Lawrence isn't as good as people think.

Maybe Mac isn't as bad as fans think. Or maybe Lawrence isn't as good as people think.
i think it's both.
coaching matters more than having elite offensive players everywhere.
that said,i am not sure i like mac's intangibles enough to give him more than the end of this year. adversity reveals character.

Perspective is everything. Supporting cast is essential. Key injuries are devastating. Under performing WRs are catastrophic.

Mac and #1 overall pick Trevor Lawrence have equivalent stats yet one is considered excellent and one may be dispensable.

Trevor Lawrence since being drafted (1st overall, 2021):

• 42 games played
• 931/1457 (64%)
• 9,689 passing yards
• 46 TD’s
• 29 INT’s
• 85.3 passer rating
• 18 wins

Mac Jones since being drafted (15th overall, 2021):

• 39 games played
• 813/1223 (67%)
• 8,439 passing yards
• 45 TD’s
• 32 INT’s
• 87.6 passer rating
• 18 wins

Almost identical careers from these two 2021 QB prospects. Maybe Mac isn't as bad as fans think. Or maybe Lawrence isn't as good as people think.
There are some that can never be influenced by facts. New England Fans got spoiled by 20 years of BB and TB. Yes folks it really was because of both of them.

My 2024 draft would include 1QB, 6OLmen, and if we have more picks a flyer on a WR.

My 2024 draft would include 1QB, 6OLmen, and if we have more picks a flyer on a WR.
Can we get a proven nfl receiver or two in free agency? Since pats cannot seem to draft/develop lately

i think it's both.
coaching matters more than having elite offensive players everywhere.
that said,i am not sure i like mac's intangibles enough to give him more than the end of this year. adversity reveals character.

What about having healthy players everywhere. The Pats have had more than their share of injuries to the OL and WR group and the WRs have under performed even when healthy.
Mac has had plenty of adversity over the last 2 seasons and yet he keeps his chin up and continues to try to win.

Lawrence's rookie season was his absolute floor, while Mac's rookie season seems to be his absolute ceiling. Lawrence has improved, Mac has regressed.

While this is true on the face of it, how do we know if Mac has truly regressed or if his situation (Patricia, injuries to the OL and lackluster WRs) has been the cause of his regression?
Lawrence had a bad situation with Urban Myer in year 1. We can all agree on that.
Mac had an "ok" situation in year 1, a bad situation in year 2 with Patricia and another bad situation in year 3 with an injury depleted OL and a bad WR group.
We know Lawrence improved when his situation improved. Is it fair to say Mac's performance should also improve with a better situation?
I think it's totally fair. Mac didn't suddenly go stupid or lose his ability to throw. Laying blame is more complicated than saying Mac is the problem.

At the same time it's perfectly reasonable for BB to draft a QB highly in this upcoming draft if the opportunity presents itself.
But, since we have a lot of holes to fill, it's also reasonable for BB to trade back and get 2 players, a stud O lineman and a stud D player after using FA and trades to fill the WR room.
Bottom line: we don't yet know what Mac would be with a better team around him. Mac needs another year in a better situation to prove himself the same as Lawrence got.

Back