The 2024 Draft

Look up Crap-shoot in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of the NFL Draft. 🤷

Cheers
The crap shoot analogy is why I like trading down. You can roll the dice 7 times hoping to hit jackpots or trade down a couple of times and have 10 or 12 rolls hoping for jackpots.

The crap shoot analogy is why I like trading down. You can roll the dice 7 times hoping to hit jackpots or trade down a couple of times and have 10 or 12 rolls hoping for jackpots.

Given how much the Krafts have revealed themselves as being super cheap it seems to me that Bill Belichick did a masterful job with the drafts. The Patriots are famous now (infamous?) for not giving second contracts to high draft picks and it's crystal clear now isn't it? Belichick traded down to lower draft picks and quantity so that second contracts would be cheaper. How much the Krafts stinginess is being revealed throughout the dynasty is disheartening.

It also reveals what a masterful job Bill Belichick did. Truly, the greatest coach of all time.

Given how much the Krafts have revealed themselves as being super cheap it seems to me that Bill Belichick did a masterful job with the drafts. The Patriots are famous now (infamous?) for not giving second contracts to high draft picks and it's crystal clear now isn't it? Belichick traded down to lower draft picks and quantity so that second contracts would be cheaper. How much the Krafts stinginess is being revealed throughout the dynasty is disheartening.

It also reveals what a masterful job Bill Belichick did. Truly, the greatest coach of all time.
Revisionist history at its finest. It is well known and documented that Bill did not like to coach diva players which are generally the ones you get in the first round. The Patriots always spent to the cap, they were never the highest in cash spending but they spend to the cap. Bill was not hamstrung as a GM especially when his GOAT QB never took the max contracts he could have taken from age 30 on. Bill is the one that believed in building a middle class team with blue collar guys that he wanted to coach. Again, this is documented as well. This notion that he was somehow hamstrung as a GM is completely laughable especially when you look at KC and what they are paying Mahomes and continuing to win chips ...

Revisionist history at its finest. It is well known and documented that Bill did not like to coach diva players which are generally the ones you get in the first round. The Patriots always spent to the cap, they were never the highest in cash spending but they spend to the cap. Bill was not hamstrung as a GM especially when his GOAT QB never took the max contracts he could have taken from age 30 on. Bill is the one that believed in building a middle class team with blue collar guys that he wanted to coach. Again, this is documented as well. This notion that he was somehow hamstrung as a GM is completely laughable especially when you look at KC and what they are paying Mahomes and continuing to win chips ...
Mazz, seriously, you're becoming a self-parody at this point.

So, getting back to this years draft, which I believe is the title of of the thread.

We could trade down a few spots and pick up another 2nd rounder.

After popping open the hood and checking out the QB position, I'm fine with any of the top 4 QB'S. Williams gives me the most concern.
We can use the additional 2nd to take a good OT and a good WR.

We are lucky that all 3 positions are loaded this year.

1709843240090.png

If you were a serious poster/fan this would be comical.

But you aren’t.

My thoughts exactly. Pick a QB with 3 this year bc you may not have another high pick like this any time soon.

Mike Reiss
@MikeReiss
ESPN’s @FieldYates, on a draft conference call, on the Patriots’ No. 3 pick: “There’s no consolation prize for the Patriots at pick 3. These guys are all so different that no matter which quarterback is available there for the Patriots, I believe any of those 3 are the kind of building-block players that you can spend a decade with and they can become the centerpiece of what the Patriots hope is a new arc of winning again.

“Given the desperate need at quarterback there, my mentality would be the opportunity cost. If you don’t take one now, and you get a nominal upgrade in free agency that might push you to the eighth or 10th pick in the draft next year, do the same exercise right now. If the Patriots trade down from pick 3 to pick 8 or 11, it’s going to cost the acquiring team a boatload. If you’re the Patriots, and you don’t take one of these quarterbacks now – and now you’re picking 10th or 11th next year – are you willing to pay the full freight a year from now? Because it’s just really hard to find quarterbacks in the draft that end up going 10th, 11th, 12th that are worth a first-round pick. Usually those guys are pushed up the board artificially.” (question via James Holyoak, Hoffa Sports)

i expect them to have a top 5 ish pick next year.
I don't. I fully expect them to f around and find out again. Meaning, if they don't hit FA and the draft out of the park...they will middle and be in the 10 range because at a minimum they will be better on offense and win a couple more game than that.

If you don't get the QB this year, they need to tank again to hit the top of the draft. Which they won't, because they are stupid.

I don't. I fully expect them to f around and find out again. Meaning, if they don't hit FA and the draft out of the park...they will middle and be in the 10 range because at a minimum they will be better on offense and win a couple more game than that.

If you don't get the QB this year, they need to tank again to hit the top of the draft. Which they won't, because they are stupid.

I don't think you fully appreciate what Bill getting pushed out will cost this franchise going forward. His loss is massive. They replaced him with a back stabbing ass kisser with ZERO HC experience. None. Zilch. Nada. If he turns out to be good that will be lucky on the order of the Brady pick. He wasn't chosen for his bona fides. He has none. He was chosen for other reasons.

My thoughts exactly. Pick a QB with 3 this year bc you may not have another high pick like this any time soon.

Mike Reiss
@MikeReiss
ESPN’s @FieldYates, on a draft conference call, on the Patriots’ No. 3 pick: “There’s no consolation prize for the Patriots at pick 3. These guys are all so different that no matter which quarterback is available there for the Patriots, I believe any of those 3 are the kind of building-block players that you can spend a decade with and they can become the centerpiece of what the Patriots hope is a new arc of winning again.

“Given the desperate need at quarterback there, my mentality would be the opportunity cost. If you don’t take one now, and you get a nominal upgrade in free agency that might push you to the eighth or 10th pick in the draft next year, do the same exercise right now. If the Patriots trade down from pick 3 to pick 8 or 11, it’s going to cost the acquiring team a boatload. If you’re the Patriots, and you don’t take one of these quarterbacks now – and now you’re picking 10th or 11th next year – are you willing to pay the full freight a year from now? Because it’s just really hard to find quarterbacks in the draft that end up going 10th, 11th, 12th that are worth a first-round pick. Usually those guys are pushed up the board artificially.” (question via James Holyoak, Hoffa Sports)
Desperate people do desperate things. Picking "a quarterback" that you don't 100% believe in at #3 is worse than not picking "a quarterback" at all, Mr Yates.

How many times have we seen teams pick "a quarterback" in the top 5 that just doesn't work out, Mr Yates? Do the NY Jets ring a bell Mr. Yates?

So unless you are 100 % sure that "a quarterback" is going to be your franchise player, a Pro Bowl type, for the next 10 years, then you are better off trading down and picking a guy like JJ and building your horrible OL.

I don't think you fully appreciate what Bill getting pushed out will cost this franchise going forward. His loss is massive. They replaced him with a back stabbing ass kisser with ZERO HC experience. None. Zilch. Nada. If he turns out to be good that will be lucky on the order of the Brady pick. He wasn't chosen for his bona fides. He has none. He was chosen for other reasons.

I do have my reservations there as well. I think we all do. You might be right on that one in the end but I truly hope not. Be kinda funny to see the Krafts run this ship into the ground that they built up for 20 years.

I could not disagree more. I wish he was let go years ago ...

Back