The 2024 Draft

Lazar discussed his two pro days on his Patriots.com podcast.

According to EL, Alonzo Highsmith was the most popular person there. Talked up everyone. It was if he knew the players from prior recruiting.

Also, IMO, it seems pro days can be misleading. All the heavy breathers are there and can drive a decision on a non football event. Might be how Zack Wilson went high.
Its because he did know the players from prior recruiting. None of them ended up at the U, for whatever that's worth.

There are a couple of throws in the middle of the video that show what he does that Daniels doesn't.....ignore the bombs very small percent of a NFL offense.

2 round 3 or 4 WRs who have a very low floor aren't being talked about enough. Either could start in roles for the Pats right away.

Malik Washington, Virginia. 5'10", 210 lbs
Jermaine Burton, Alabama. 6', 200 lbs

I'll be writing about both of them in 4-5 days along with Javon Baker, another terrific WR who won't cost an arm and a leg.
I'll also tell why I took Adonai Mitchell off my Patriots' Big Board.

JT O’Sullivan is weighing in on the QBs on a Bootleg Football video on YouTube
search on JT O’Sullivan

couldn’t get it to copy over

search on JT O’Sullivan

JT loves, loves Caleb Williams
Will guarantee that Daniel’s goes top 3.

Disappointed in Maye, said he makes a lot of bad throws for no real reason, the weather was a non issue and the ball is way off for example.

Paraphrasing, when teams are looking for the right type of player for their QB room, he can see McCarthy being the choice. Like don’t be surprised if McCarthy is a very high pick, even though there’s very little film.

He likes Penix, could see him go at pick 20 or so. Loves the arm talent.

Spent time discussing Denver and Payton’s offense. Tough place /scheme to play. Drew Brees made it work not sure anyone else could. But maybe Denver changes it’s way this off season.

JT loves, loves Caleb Williams
Will guarantee that Daniel’s goes top 3.

Disappointed in Maye, said he makes a lot of bad throws for no real reason, the weather was a non issue and the ball is way off for example.

Paraphrasing, when teams are looking for the right type of player for their QB room, he can see McCarthy being the choice. Like don’t be surprised if McCarthy is a very high pick, even though there’s very little film.

He likes Penix, could see him go at pick 20 or so. Loves the arm talent.

Spent time discussing Denver and Payton’s offense. Tough place /scheme to play. Drew Brees made it work not sure anyone else could. But maybe Denver changes it’s way this off season.
I forget who said it. He felt that Bo Nix would be a perfect fit for Sean Peyton's offense.

Mike Lombardi talked about who’s REALLY running the Patriots on his podcast, @GMShuffle.

“As a fan, Robert’s hoping they draft a QB. He knows what they’re doing. As Shaughnessy said, EVERYONE knows Jonathan Kraft is the defacto General Manager.”

This is why I'm worried.

I'll be more likely to believe that when somebody besides Shank says it is so. Somebody whose opinion is respectable.

I guess EVERYONE doesn't include me just yet.

It amazes me that Dan Shaughnessy still has a job in Boston, even if it is from Creepy John Henry's dying media platform.

I recall a few years back Danny was a guest on Felger and Mazz and my brother then did regular guest spots on their show as sort
of their defacto crazy Patriots fan. They surprisingly showed Jerry a decent amount of respect even though they made their bones from trashing
everything that had to do with the organization no matter how undeniably great they happened to be playing at the time. They treated him
like he was a harmless kook who just couldn't handle the truth that they were the gatekeepers for. That was the Patriots were the
Patron Saints of hapless toolbag fanboys everywhere and their mission in life was to educate us. To show us the light we were too blind to see.

Anyhow, Jerry didn't like Shank going back many years and had written a them-current column calling him out for one of his lazy, imbecilic
opinions. I really don't recall what it was all about.

Felger, I believe it was, decided to stir some shit up by confronting Shank on the air about that piece and the CHBF (remember that shit?) just
big-timed him by saying he had no idea who Jerry was and had never heard of Barstool Sports. Both of which were total self-serving lies. Fact was,
the very last thing he wanted was to debate my brother (always a big mistake) and end up like a toad in a lawnmower. So, he big-timed him
which made me hate him even more than I already had. He was both talentless AND sackless.

Shaughnessy is a piece of shit whose reason to exist disappeared the second the Sox won the World Series and broke the curse that
was about the only thing that one-trick pony was capable of talking about. Fucccckkkkk him.

If he's right about JonBoy then it's in the same way as how a broken clock is right twice a day.

Not sure how the Commanders will pass on Maye with all of this positive press.

I suppose the biggest reason would be the comps Daniels is getting to Lamar Jackson, who was underdrafted by a wiiiide margin
because he was a guy with a big arm, but in no way was he an accurate or consistent passer in College. Most observers make the
connection between the two due to pure speed and running ability, but some scouts note that Daniels, even though he arguably isn't a complete QB, has
much better accuracy and field vision than Lamar did coming into the league.

I don't really know whether that is true or not, but I can see how people might see that kind of potential in Daniels based on
his '23 season. Then again, I thought Jackson had zero chance to play to the level he has, but he has improved dramatically in the NFL from
where he was at Louisville.

The Commanders play a pretty short distance from Baltimore and they are well aware of how much Jackson has meant to that city. They
could fall in love with Daniels' potential and roll the dice that he can give them similar production using the great athletic traits he clearly has
even though there are no guarantees he'll develop the same way.

I sure hope that is how they see it, because I want Maye in Foxboro.

search on JT O’Sullivan

The Athletic looks at Maye vs Daniels for the Pats.
Maye today...Daniels in a day or 2

Strengths​

Maye looks the part. Let’s start with that. He has everything you’d want in a modern quarterback. Arm strength? Check. Mobility? Check. Size? Check. Pocket presence? Check.

He was a four-star recruit out of Charlotte, N.C., and initially committed to Alabama before Bryce Young’s commitment there resulted in Maye’s changing course to stay close to home. He also had a good relationship with North Carolina coach Mack Brown stemming from his family’s long relationship with him. Maye’s dad, Mark, played quarterback at UNC (then had a brief NFL stint) before joining Brown’s staff as a graduate assistant in the late 1980s. That’s where Mark met his wife, Aimee, who had been an all-state high school basketball player from Charlotte. (More on the athletic family they raised later.)

Maye redshirted his freshman year in Chapel Hill while Sam Howell, who became a good friend, was the starting quarterback. Maye then took over as a redshirt freshman in 2022. What followed was an incredible season as Maye totaled 4,321 passing yards in 14 games to go with 38 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Drake Maye is projected to be selected within the first three picks of the 2024 NFL Draft. (Kevin C. Cox / Getty Images)
That season set massive expectations and put Maye in the discussion to be drafted with the No. 1 pick in 2024 before he played a single game as a sophomore.

Maye’s numbers dropped in 2023 with less talent around him, but the high-level traits remained. His arm strength was evident as a freshman, but in 2023, he built on his mobility and became adept at throwing on the run.

This is where Maye can really hurt opposing defenses. He’s excellent on designed bootlegs, which Kevin Stefanski, new Patriots offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt’s former boss with the Cleveland Browns, loves. It’s easy to envision Van Pelt designing a wide zone rushing game with Maye rolling out on play actions off it.

Maye can use his legs on more than just designed rollouts, though; it’s an underrated part of his game. He had 56 rushes of 10 or more yards in the last two seasons, the second most in Division I (behind only Daniels).

Maye also shows football smarts in knowing when to run, saving those plays for important moments. He accounted for 42 first downs while running the ball on third or fourth down in the past two seasons.

Still, his arm and size are his top attributes. He’s 6 feet 4, 223 pounds and has the strength to make any throw on the field with above-average velocity.

It’s also worth noting his family’s athleticism. Maye is the youngest of four boys, all of whom played Division I sports (two played basketball at UNC, and another was a baseball pitcher at the University of Florida).

Plus, Maye is still just 21, the second youngest of the top quarterbacks in this draft (J.J. McCarthy is five months younger).

Weaknesses​

The most obvious place to start is the dip in Maye’s stats last season and the inexplicably bad plays he occasionally made. North Carolina switched offenses before the 2023 season, opting for a more balanced approach rather than the Air Raid roots of Maye’s freshman season. Maye also lost his two best wide receivers (who combined for 181 targets Maye’s freshman year), and his offensive line got worse.

Instead of trying to manage within that (less advantageous) system and setup, Maye often tried to play superhero, forcing throws and making ill-advised decisions. Similar to Josh Allen coming out of college, Maye had multiple plays last season when he should’ve either thrown the ball away or taken a sack instead of trying to pull off a miracle.

Perhaps a veteran assistant like Van Pelt can coach that out of him, but it’s a problem worth noting.

Maye’s arm strength is also generally a strength, but there are times when he’ll miss easy underneath throws because he’s delivering an all-out fastball even when it’s not necessary.

The other odd stat that could be the result of a small sample size or something more concerning is the way Maye seemed to struggle against the halftime adjustments made by opponents. In the first half of his college games, Maye had a 39-to-4 touchdown-to-interception ratio. That ratio dropped to 24-to-12 in the second half of games. Of the top six quarterbacks in this draft class, Maye threw the fewest second-half touchdowns and the most second-half interceptions in 2023. Maybe that was because of coaching points he received or because he felt he had to force plays with a good but not great North Carolina team. Either way, it feels worth mentioning.

Finally, and this could also just be a small sample size, but two of Maye’s worst collegiate games were his final two. With UNC at 8-2 and ranked in the top 25, Maye struggled in disappointing losses to Clemson (16-of-36 passing for 209 yards, one touchdown and an interception) and NC State (22-of-38 passing for 254 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions) to close the 2023 season. Perhaps it was the lack of talent around him or because he had one eye on the draft, but either way, it’s not ideal that his two most recent games were among his worst.

Verdict​

It’s easy to envision Maye fitting in with just about any offense given his size, arm strength and mobility. He’s what a modern quarterback should look like. There are areas he needs to work on, including playing within structure and avoiding catastrophic plays that result from reckless decisions. But even at his age, he could be a day-one starter for the Patriots. Van Pelt could design a balanced offense with zone rushes and play-action passes that get Maye on the move and take advantage of his ability to scramble and throw on the run. Then, if Maye continues to develop, the offense could be designed more and more around his arm.

QB rankings from Greg Cosell and Jim Miller (SiriusXM-NFL) is a little different than we’ve seen. Both guys are a lot more tuned in to what NFL FOs actually think about these
guys than the media experts who have driven the 'popular' rankings.

1. Jayden Daniels
2. Drake Maye
3. Caleb Williams
4. Michael Penix Jr
5. Bo Nix
6. JJ McCarthy

Of note, on JJ McCarthy they had this to say…

“I don’t think McCarthy’s tape is very good,’’ Cosell said. “I’ve talked to a lot of people about McCarthy. I don’t know where all this momentum is coming from because I’ve not talked to anyone – I’m talking about people in the league – who see McCarthy that way.’’

“Remember when Colin Kaepernick was with Harbaugh out in San Francisco?’’ Miller said. “Everything was a fastball. He could never make touch throws. He could never go up and down, over the linebacker because everything was a three-quarter (delivery) fastball. (McCarthy’s) a lot like that and he misses a lot of throws over the middle where he’s behind the receiver.”

Being "Lyin' season" the talk I'm hearing is that someone is talking down Drake Maye and pumping up JJ (as we have speculated on JJ)
I can't see bears not taking Caleb.... it woudl be a HUGE risk if they don't and Williams turns out to be best QB in the draft class
imagine Jags pass on Lawrence becuase they fell for the Zack Wilson hype. not that lawrence is great (so far) but that'd be a titanic level disaster for Bears.
OTOH if Bears pick the consensus best QB and it doesn't pan out, then they took the obvious first choice and it just didn't work out

Greg Cosell is a smart dude who I respect, but if we weren't looking at a chance to take a franchise QB, then I'd be really
happy with Alt even if he isn't a total steamroller.

To me, you need that guy who can handle the monster pass rushers one-on-one and give that QB confidence that his blind side
is protected and that guy is Alt.

His arms appear very long and he gets into defenders chestplate exceptionally well and his hands and great feet are in synch. Alt and
Fautanu are the best hand-fighters in this draft. I really like Taliese Fuaga because he is a physical killer, but for us I think those other guys would be a
better answer to our LT problem (if that were possible). It'll be interesting to see if Cosell is onto something here, but I honestly don't know
what he's worried about. In any case, all 3 of those guys will be gone early and elsewhere.

Alt doesn't drive people backwards like they are on skates, but his guy hardly ever gets in on the play. Some guys just make it look easy
and I think he's one of those types. He is efficient as hell and very pro-ready. He's not so much soft as he is bored.

Or, you could go with J.C. Latham who is the latest in a long string of huge Alabama OTs to get taken in the first round but are unable to
move their feet well enough to validate the pick. Latham looks just like Evan Neal did to me and the Giants wasted a very high pick on him. I
sometimes wonder if Bama has some factory that produces these guys because they all look like clones. Heavy legs and you could show
movies on their backs.

Natural born pass blockers who can slide, move and use their hands are a rare commodity. Alt has all the power he needs to be worth a top ten
selection.

QB rankings from Greg Cosell and Jim Miller (SiriusXM-NFL) is a little different than we’ve seen. Both guys are a lot more tuned in to what NFL FOs actually think about these
guys than the media experts who have driven the 'popular' rankings.

1. Jayden Daniels
2. Drake Maye
3. Caleb Williams
4. Michael Penix Jr
5. Bo Nix
6. JJ McCarthy

Of note, on JJ McCarthy they had this to say…

“I don’t think McCarthy’s tape is very good,’’ Cosell said. “I’ve talked to a lot of people about McCarthy. I don’t know where all this momentum is coming from because I’ve not talked to anyone – I’m talking about people in the league – who see McCarthy that way.’’

“Remember when Colin Kaepernick was with Harbaugh out in San Francisco?’’ Miller said. “Everything was a fastball. He could never make touch throws. He could never go up and down, over the linebacker because everything was a three-quarter (delivery) fastball. (McCarthy’s) a lot like that and he misses a lot of throws over the middle where he’s behind the receiver.”

That's the great question of this draft: who is in McCarthy's corner planting this momentum with the press, who seems to be lapping it up? I've never seen anything like it.

That's the great question of this draft: who is in McCarthy's corner planting this momentum with the press, who seems to be lapping it up? I've never seen anything like it.

I just finished reading a mock on Barstool that has the Patriots picking McCarthy at 3.

I listened to some Patriots stuff on Youtube this afternoon and caught an interesting bit from Albert Breer, who is sometimes full of shit, but
not always.

The part that interested me was that he claims he has heard NFL scouts describe Michael Penix as like a great 3-point shooter in basketball meaning that
his deep ball is really, really good, but they all believe that is about all he can really do. Michigan's defensive gameplan against Washington in the Natty was focusing on the
deep zones because they knew he couldn't or wouldn't beat him short and medium and the Huskies offense wasn't able to get untracked. Apparently,
NFL people aren't that impressed with his excellent long ball because of this opinion.

I thought that was worth consideration heading into the draft. Penix might be a one-trick pony.

Back