The 2024 Draft

Following up on Chev's report on Drake Maye

Daniels is tall (6-foot-3) but slight, and that body frame is not just an anomaly among successful NFL quarterbacks, but it becomes even riskier with the way Daniels plays. He doesn’t have a good feel for when to slide while running or even how to get hit, so he tends to take massive shots. He mostly stayed healthy in college despite those big hits, but it’s quite risky to be that size and play the way he does. Injuries seem almost inevitable in the NFL, especially if he continues to scramble at a high rate.

That was an interesting take on Daniels. I was really happy to read the part I quoted because I was starting to wonder if I imagined the bit about him getting
clocked way more often than somebody with his speed should.

One big difference between him and Maye is that Drake I believe he's displayed some solid judgement as to when to slide and when to go for it. I'm not saying
Daniels has no shot to be a fine QB, but nobody should be surprised if he ends up on IR from getting clobbered.

Wait, this headline tells me NFL Execs differ as to which QB the Commanders & Patriots should draft?
Of course they're confused! With only a 36% success rate, no one knows for sure who of Jayden Daniels, Drake Maye or, now, JJ McCarthy will be successful.

With nothing better to do I read it after seeing Jeff Howe wrote it and it turned out to be a pretty good article although I still don't know more than I did.
I blame Information overload.

Just three weeks until the NFL Draft, teams around the league remain split on what will happen with the No. 2 pick.

The Washington Commanders are expected to select a quarterback at that spot, but which one? And what type of chain reaction will that spark throughout the rest of the opening round?

“The QB draft is going to be wild,” one high-ranking team executive said.

There’s been a long-standing belief USC quarterback Caleb Williams will go to the Chicago Bears with the first pick. Beyond that, opinions seem to change with the wind.

North Carolina’s Drake Maye and LSU’s Jayden Daniels have drawn the most attention of late, but Michigan’s J.J. McCarthy used an impressive pro day last month to solidify his offseason acceleration up draft boards.

The Athletic polled seven team executives, coaches and scouts over the past week for an updated evaluation of the QB class. Specifically, they were asked what they believed the Commanders would do at No. 2.

Three of them believed Daniels would be the pick. Two thought it would be Maye. One predicted McCarthy.

The last executive, who is not selecting in the top 10, didn’t offer a prediction but said a trade-down would be the wisest choice. The executive believed the drop-off from the second quarterback to the next tier wasn’t too steep, and the ability to recoup a haul of future draft picks would be too enticing to pass up.

This collective opinion is quite the contrast from a month ago when a poll of more than a dozen coaches and executives revealed Maye as the significant favorite to be the second quarterback off the board. Daniels got some love at No. 3, and McCarthy was tabbed at the top of the next tier.

So what’s changed? All three quarterbacks recently finished their pro days, and it sounds like McCarthy came out of them the biggest winner.

“J.J. killed his workout,” an executive said.

McCarthy has been viewed as a strong leader with good athleticism and a solid arm, though he wasn’t able to show it off much with the Wolverines. But he let it rip at his pro day, and teams are becoming intrigued by the way those tools will translate to the NFL.

Maye’s pro day got off to a slow start with a few missed throws, according to observers. However, they said, he called those plays again, hit them and finished hot. At 6-foot-4 and 223 pounds, Maye has ideal size to match a Justin Herbert-style arm, and he’s got more than enough mobility to run a modern offense.

Maye’s leadership and character have been put on a pedestal, too. He’s viewed as a quarterback who can command an NFL locker room very quickly upon his arrival.

The question with Maye revolves around his inconsistent tape in 2023, which has been almost universally agreed upon over the past couple of months. There were breakdowns in mechanics and some throws that have caused concerns, and of course, some of those inconsistencies spilled into his pro day. One offensive coordinator came away wary of even placing a first-round grade on Maye.

Daniels’ pro day was viewed as good but not great, or it at least didn’t match the hype he’s gotten this offseason. Then again, the hype has reached disproportionate levels with Daniels, so that might be an unfair bar with which to measure.

Daniels caught teams’ attention with his drastic improvements since transferring to LSU a couple of years ago. If he continues that trajectory in the NFL, he could become the best QB in the class. Measuring at 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds at his pro day, Daniels has elite speed and athleticism to break from the pocket, and he’s got more than enough arm.

But how will the draft shake out? There might be even more intrigue with this class than the group from last year when coaches and executives debated the merits between Bryce Young, C.J. Stroud and Anthony Richardson.

For much of the pre-draft process, it felt like Maye would go second, leaving the New England Patriots with Daniels at No. 3. Of late, it seemed the Commanders’ choice wouldn’t be so simple, and the Patriots would corral whoever remains available.

“Either one is fine for (the Patriots),” a coach said.

The Patriots have played it perfectly to this point, heavily scouting the top quarterbacks while keeping the league on notice the third pick could be available at the right price. Whether they’re looking for a Godfather offer or simply weighing the cost of moving down in the right scenario — maybe they only like two of the QBs, or maybe their top tier also includes McCarthy and others — the Patriots certainly don’t want teams to assume they’re locked into No. 3 when rivals consider moving up.

GO DEEPER
Patriots 2024 mock draft scenarios: What would a trade down from No. 3 look like?

The wild card is McCarthy. If, as one executive predicted, McCarthy goes second, TV ratings in New England could spike to historic levels on draft night. If McCarthy goes third, teams like the New York Giants, Minnesota Vikings, Denver Broncos and Las Vegas Raiders could be tripping over themselves to acquire the Arizona Cardinals’ No. 4 selection. With Maye and Daniels not long ago viewed as a pipe dream for teams outside the top three, a stratospheric leap by McCarthy could significantly adjust several teams’ draft plans.

The Athletic has reported for a month the Cardinals are open for business at No. 4, presumably for a quarterback-needy team, but the fifth QB might not have to wait too much longer, either. Oregon’s Bo Nix has been the perceived favorite at that spot, but don’t rule out Washington’s Michael Penix Jr., who has Yo-Yo’d from the third round to the first and back again more times than any QB in recent memory.

There’s a quarterback for just about everyone in this class. The top six all have different styles, strengths and weaknesses, which has created a ton of intrigue in front offices around the league.

Three weeks out, and there’s more mystery surrounding the 2024 quarterback class than there’s ever been.
-------------------------------------------------------

(Thanks, Jeff :coffee:)

The Athletic's sample trades for the Pats' #3 pick. This trade could happen but I don't see these picks happening this way. First of all, 2 OTs that high seems OTT to me when 1 stud is all we need this year. Secondly, I'd plan on Bo Nix being headed earlier to the Broncos. I'd target a different QB or pick a damned good WR with 23. I'd suggest Xavier Worthy, the little speedster who plays with attitude like Steve Smith Sr. and the athleticism of Desean Jackson. (Yes, imo he's that good). Or Brian Thomas, the best pure X in this draft. Penix may be there at 34 and he has the most experience and the best long ball of them all. I love McConkey but QB is more impt so I'd pull that trigger and if he doesn't work out we can go QB in next year's draft. At 68, instead of a 2nd OT I'd double dip at WR. I have a list of 10 guys who should be solid contributors & fill needs. Do we really need a RB this high at 103 when so many are still on the board? I'd go DB, DL or Edge here.

My revision:
11. OT Fashanu is fine
23. WR Xavier Worthy or Brian Thomas
34. Penix
68. WR
103. DL, DB or Edge

Scenario A: Trade with the Vikings

Proposed deal: Minnesota trades Nos. 11 and 23 and a 2025 third-round pick to New England for No. 3

Trade with Minnesota

No. 11*Olu FashanuOTPenn State
No. 23*Bo NixQBOregon
No. 34Ladd McConkeyWRGeorgia
No. 68Blake FisherOTNotre Dame
No. 103Trey BensonRBFlorida State
No. 137Ben SinnottTEKansas State
No. 180Braiden McGregorEdgeMichigan
No. 193MJ DevonshireCBPitt
No. 231David WhiteWRWestern Carolina
* - via trade

Last edited:
This scenario seems more realistic to me. My only change would be a WR at 103 instead of TE Cade Stover.
You may quibble about QB McCarthy. The pick at QB doesn't really matter to me bc A) he won't play this year and B) if he's not the guy we can do QB next year. It's a crapshoot anyway so don't over think it. Just pick 1 and move on.

Scenario B: Trade twice​

Proposed deal 1: Minnesota trades Nos. 11 and 23 and a 2025 third-round pick to New England for No. 3

Proposed deal 2: New England trades Nos. 11 and 68 and a future pick to Arizona for No. 4

Two trades

No. 4*J.J. McCarthyQBMichigan
No. 23*Amarius MimsOTGeorgia
No. 34Ladd McConkeyWRGeorgia
No. 103Cade StoverTE Ohio State
No. 137Kalen KingCB Penn State
No. 180Isaac GuerendoRBLouisville
No. 193Myles ColeEdgeTexas Tech
No. 231Ethan DriskellOTMarshall
* - via trade

Wait, this headline tells me NFL Execs differ as to which QB the Commanders & Patriots should draft?
Of course they're confused! With only a 36% success rate, no one knows for sure who of Jayden Daniels, Drake Maye or, now, JJ McCarthy will be successful.

With nothing better to do I read it after seeing Jeff Howe wrote it and it turned out to be a pretty good article although I still don't know more than I did.
I blame Information overload.

Just three weeks until the NFL Draft, teams around the league remain split on what will happen with the No. 2 pick.

The Washington Commanders are expected to select a quarterback at that spot, but which one? And what type of chain reaction will that spark throughout the rest of the opening round?

“The QB draft is going to be wild,” one high-ranking team executive said.

There’s been a long-standing belief USC quarterback Caleb Williams will go to the Chicago Bears with the first pick. Beyond that, opinions seem to change with the wind.

North Carolina’s Drake Maye and LSU’s Jayden Daniels have drawn the most attention of late, but Michigan’s J.J. McCarthy used an impressive pro day last month to solidify his offseason acceleration up draft boards.

The Athletic polled seven team executives, coaches and scouts over the past week for an updated evaluation of the QB class. Specifically, they were asked what they believed the Commanders would do at No. 2.

Three of them believed Daniels would be the pick. Two thought it would be Maye. One predicted McCarthy.

The last executive, who is not selecting in the top 10, didn’t offer a prediction but said a trade-down would be the wisest choice. The executive believed the drop-off from the second quarterback to the next tier wasn’t too steep, and the ability to recoup a haul of future draft picks would be too enticing to pass up.

This collective opinion is quite the contrast from a month ago when a poll of more than a dozen coaches and executives revealed Maye as the significant favorite to be the second quarterback off the board. Daniels got some love at No. 3, and McCarthy was tabbed at the top of the next tier.

So what’s changed? All three quarterbacks recently finished their pro days, and it sounds like McCarthy came out of them the biggest winner.

“J.J. killed his workout,” an executive said.

McCarthy has been viewed as a strong leader with good athleticism and a solid arm, though he wasn’t able to show it off much with the Wolverines. But he let it rip at his pro day, and teams are becoming intrigued by the way those tools will translate to the NFL.

Maye’s pro day got off to a slow start with a few missed throws, according to observers. However, they said, he called those plays again, hit them and finished hot. At 6-foot-4 and 223 pounds, Maye has ideal size to match a Justin Herbert-style arm, and he’s got more than enough mobility to run a modern offense.

Maye’s leadership and character have been put on a pedestal, too. He’s viewed as a quarterback who can command an NFL locker room very quickly upon his arrival.

The question with Maye revolves around his inconsistent tape in 2023, which has been almost universally agreed upon over the past couple of months. There were breakdowns in mechanics and some throws that have caused concerns, and of course, some of those inconsistencies spilled into his pro day. One offensive coordinator came away wary of even placing a first-round grade on Maye.

Daniels’ pro day was viewed as good but not great, or it at least didn’t match the hype he’s gotten this offseason. Then again, the hype has reached disproportionate levels with Daniels, so that might be an unfair bar with which to measure.

Daniels caught teams’ attention with his drastic improvements since transferring to LSU a couple of years ago. If he continues that trajectory in the NFL, he could become the best QB in the class. Measuring at 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds at his pro day, Daniels has elite speed and athleticism to break from the pocket, and he’s got more than enough arm.

But how will the draft shake out? There might be even more intrigue with this class than the group from last year when coaches and executives debated the merits between Bryce Young, C.J. Stroud and Anthony Richardson.

For much of the pre-draft process, it felt like Maye would go second, leaving the New England Patriots with Daniels at No. 3. Of late, it seemed the Commanders’ choice wouldn’t be so simple, and the Patriots would corral whoever remains available.

“Either one is fine for (the Patriots),” a coach said.

The Patriots have played it perfectly to this point, heavily scouting the top quarterbacks while keeping the league on notice the third pick could be available at the right price. Whether they’re looking for a Godfather offer or simply weighing the cost of moving down in the right scenario — maybe they only like two of the QBs, or maybe their top tier also includes McCarthy and others — the Patriots certainly don’t want teams to assume they’re locked into No. 3 when rivals consider moving up.

GO DEEPER
Patriots 2024 mock draft scenarios: What would a trade down from No. 3 look like?

The wild card is McCarthy. If, as one executive predicted, McCarthy goes second, TV ratings in New England could spike to historic levels on draft night. If McCarthy goes third, teams like the New York Giants, Minnesota Vikings, Denver Broncos and Las Vegas Raiders could be tripping over themselves to acquire the Arizona Cardinals’ No. 4 selection. With Maye and Daniels not long ago viewed as a pipe dream for teams outside the top three, a stratospheric leap by McCarthy could significantly adjust several teams’ draft plans.

The Athletic has reported for a month the Cardinals are open for business at No. 4, presumably for a quarterback-needy team, but the fifth QB might not have to wait too much longer, either. Oregon’s Bo Nix has been the perceived favorite at that spot, but don’t rule out Washington’s Michael Penix Jr., who has Yo-Yo’d from the third round to the first and back again more times than any QB in recent memory.

There’s a quarterback for just about everyone in this class. The top six all have different styles, strengths and weaknesses, which has created a ton of intrigue in front offices around the league.

Three weeks out, and there’s more mystery surrounding the 2024 quarterback class than there’s ever been.
-------------------------------------------------------

(Thanks, Jeff :coffee:)

Whatever is being paid to pump JJ, it is not enough. Masterful spin job going on for a player that belongs in the 4th/5th round based on his college output.

I seem to remember another Wolverine QB that was FAR more productive and had far more success at the QB position going in the 6th round.

Last edited:
It would be hilarious if the mutha schmucka forced Wolf to draft JJ @ #3 because the mutha schmucka was so wise to hand pick Brady. 🥴☕🥴☕🥴☕

Don’t be surprised if this happens either. So far in this new season hardly anything logical happened. Why expect anything to make sense now?

There's a new player in town bidding on the Pats 3rd pick.
Welcome to the New York Giants

View: https://twitter.com/_MLFootball/status/1776370505706098846

I heard some chatter the other day that the Giants would sweeten the pot by sending us, among
other things, Danny Dimes to be our new face of the franchise just so we don't have to worry that
Maye or Daniels might bust out.

:insane::punchballs::stirpot::twak:

If that happens then Eliot Wolf better get himself into the witness protection program.

Last edited:
I heard some chatter the other day that the Giants would sweeten the pot by sending us, among
other things, Danny Dimes to be our new face of the franchise just so we don't have to worry that
Maye or Daniels might bust out.

:insane::punchballs::stirpot::twak:

If that happens then Eliot Wolf better get himself into the witness protection program.

I have to say, more than a few times I've actually seen Maye look a lot like Daniel Jones on the field.

I have to say, more than a few times I've actually seen Maye look a lot like Daniel Jones on the field.

I disagree. I'm all in on Maye, although I realize there are no guarantees, and a lot of folks
way smarter than I agree that he is a great prospect worthy of investing such a pivotal asset. I'm not
on an island.

I don't see anything in his game that prevents him from becoming a top NFL QB. Not one thing. He's
got the body, the arm talent and, I believe, the intelligence. I think he's a natural leader who is only
21. All he needs is some sound coaching and a lot of hard work. He's the kid that can handle the weight
and not come unglued. One season of percolation sounds about right to me which happens to be the
length of Jacoby Brissett's contract, which I believe was carefully planned because he is the perfect guy to
mentor a young QB without acting like a dick.

One fine day in the not-too-distant future I'm going to be sitting in that stadium and Maye will be
faced with a critical/pressure situation. He is going to drop back (behind solid protection) and hit a
WR (who has separation on the DB). This will take place way further downfield than our eyes expect and
the pass will be perfect. It will result in a TD and I, and everybody else in that stadium, will go out of our
fucking minds because we'll know what that one play means. That everything changed on April 25th, 2023
when a new regime showed the balls to make a bold move to turn their fortunes around. And they nailed it.

I can roll the dice at 3 for Drake Maybe and I can wait for that. We can't be afraid to screw this chance up
because the kid isn't perfect because none of them are. There isn't one guy in this draft that is. We make
that move and everything changes and I think Wolf is smart enough to see that even if they didn't do it
that way in Green Bay.

I disagree. I'm all in on Maye, although I realize there are no guarantees, and a lot of folks
way smarter than I agree that he is a great prospect worthy of investing such a pivotal asset. I'm not
on an island.

I don't see anything in his game that prevents him from becoming a top NFL QB. Not one thing. He's
got the body, the arm talent and, I believe, the intelligence. I think he's a natural leader who is only
21. All he needs is some sound coaching and a lot of hard work. He's the kid that can handle the weight
and not come unglued. One season of percolation sounds about right to me which happens to be the
length of Jacoby Brissett's contract, which I believe was carefully planned because he is the perfect guy to
mentor a young QB without acting like a dick.

One fine day in the not-too-distant future I'm going to be sitting in that stadium and Maye will be
faced with a critical/pressure situation. He is going to drop back (behind solid protection) and hit a
WR (who has separation on the DB). This will take place way further downfield than our eyes expect and
the pass will be perfect. It will result in a TD and I, and everybody else in that stadium, will go out of our
fucking minds because we'll know what that one play means. That everything changed on April 25th, 2023
when a new regime showed the balls to make a bold move to turn their fortunes around. And they nailed it.

I can roll the dice at 3 for Drake Maybe and I can wait for that. We can't be afraid to screw this chance up
because the kid isn't perfect because none of them are. There isn't one guy in this draft that is. We make
that move and everything changes and I think Wolf is smart enough to see that even if they didn't do it
that way in Green Bay.

I'm no QB guru for sure so I'm glad to hear you stick up for Maye since he seems to be the guy who will be left for us at 3.
You may be interested to listen this starting at the 19:45 mark.

View: https://twitter.com/PhilAPerry/status/1775846956335522104

I'm no QB guru for sure so I'm glad to hear you stick up for Maye since he seems to be the guy who will be left for us at 3.
You may be interested to listen this starting at the 19:45 mark.

View: https://twitter.com/PhilAPerry/status/1775846956335522104

I think what is going on lately is that you used to get honest opinions from people and it was a mix of pro and con, but
it was what smart football people really thought.

Now that everything is internet, once a guy acquires a certain amount of praise and reputation then some hack will decide it's time to tear into them online because
it's like a ready-made market to harvest clicks. I'd love to give something like that a try to make some cash if I didn't have a moral compass to consider. It'd be easy
money.

As near as I can figure Maye has been getting a bit of the totally over-the-top bogus treatment that Caleb Williams has had to deal with. The nail that sticks up
must be hammered down
. It's not nearly as egregious in Drake's case, but I heard a bunch of stuff that simply didn't hold up when I watched him play. We'll just
have to see where he and the rest of the crop stands a few seasons from now, but there don't seem to be any legitimate red flags to be worried about in Drake Maye's
case. Obviously, there are aspects to his game that can be developed and tightened up, but this is a kid that has all the bells and whistles and deserves his status as a top
3 selection as the vast majority of reputable analysts believe.

If he's there, we'll take him or Wolf is an idiot. My asterisk on that is that I think there is an outside chance that Bob Kraft is going to be like a kid in a candy store
now that Bill is gone and might lean hard on Wolf to trade down to get McCarthy because........Michigan QB. Get it? Wolf is vulnerable to such ass-hattery from
a team owner because he doesn't have a big contract. Yet. That's a longshot scenario, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if Kraft got involved.

Totally agree with what most are saying here. If it's Maye at 3, we jump all over it and take him, no debate. And in the same vein, if it's Daniels at 3, we do the same thing.

There shouldn't really be discussions about this, as there are no other options UNLESS a team went batshit crazy and offered NE a Jimmy Johnson Cowboy-style haul in exchange for the 3 picks. And remember, Johnson already had Aikman when he made that Walker bumper trade. We need a QB; there is nobody decent left in FA, so we have to take one in the draft.

Letting the best player in the draft go, without a trade down to get more premium assets will be a huge mistake. Fellate these quarterbacks at your own risk.

Back