The 2024 Draft

I predict this draft to be on par with The Dynasty thing… ☕

It could be, but I'm hoping we nail it.

I'm thinking the OT class, while deep enough, doesn't have a lot of guys that are going to be LT pass-blocking fiends. Not right out
of the box, anyhow. Outside of Alt, I'd be hard-pressed to name one, but certainly Fuaga looks great on the other side. He's a killer.

Anyhow, I think this being Wolf and the staff's first draft I think the long shadow of BB (and his noted failures) might make them
reluctant to trade down and, say, take picks next year or beyond. I think we make only minor trades and none with the top 3. I got
Maye at 3 and the best LT prospect left at 34. Maybe the Yale kid or Rosengarten. I think both will go earlier than projected. I don't
see us drafting an RT type at all with Onwenu on board. Then, we'll have to wait for what is likely the best WR left at 64, although
I can really see a viable X type/future No. 1 that figures to be around. If we needed a slot we'd have more options, but we kind of
have that covered. I don't think we can pick off all 3 big needs with guys that might be able to produce in '24. I might have 2 and
3 reversed. I dunno, but I'm terrified at what we have at LT right now. It's bad. At least we can trot out a couple of guys that can
catch reasonably well.

The key thing in all this thinking out loud is I have no idea what our scouts think about anybody, but I can really see it playing out in a way
that addresses not only our big needs, but will make sense to the fanbase. There could be a big difference from what we're accustomed to
in that these guys might actually be sensitive to how it looks to us and Kraft as opposed to Bill who never felt pressured to please anybody
or care what the fallout was in the media. I have little doubt that Bob wants a big splash and a PR coup and won't be afraid to lean
on guys.

What has HE done?

Hand the ball off on team that was cheating.

That. Is. All.

Could he be good? Maybe but do you really spend a 1 flipping a 5 sided coin with one head on it?
Ok, just heard why he is rising so fast.
Every team that he has visited has been very impressed with him. Not only with his attitude, knowledge, but the skill set that he showed when they asked him to make certain throws.
That was on NFLN and was echoed by more than one person.

Michael Penix is in for a Patriot visit today.

Ok, just heard why he is rising so fast.
Every team that he has visited has been very impressed with him. Not only with his attitude, knowledge, but the skill set that he showed when they asked him to make certain throws.
That was on NFLN and was echoed by more than one person.

Michael Penix is in for a Patriot visit today.
I find it difficult to think of Penix as a Patriot, his surname is too close to Penis. I'm sure he'll rise to the occasion with whatever team picks him.

It could be, but I'm hoping we nail it.

I'm thinking the OT class, while deep enough, doesn't have a lot of guys that are going to be LT pass-blocking fiends. Not right out
of the box, anyhow. Outside of Alt, I'd be hard-pressed to name one, but certainly Fuaga looks great on the other side. He's a killer.

Anyhow, I think this being Wolf and the staff's first draft I think the long shadow of BB (and his noted failures) might make them
reluctant to trade down and, say, take picks next year or beyond. I think we make only minor trades and none with the top 3. I got
Maye at 3 and the best LT prospect left at 34. Maybe the Yale kid or Rosengarten. I think both will go earlier than projected. I don't
see us drafting an RT type at all with Onwenu on board. Then, we'll have to wait for what is likely the best WR left at 64, although
I can really see a viable X type/future No. 1 that figures to be around. If we needed a slot we'd have more options, but we kind of
have that covered. I don't think we can pick off all 3 big needs with guys that might be able to produce in '24. I might have 2 and
3 reversed. I dunno, but I'm terrified at what we have at LT right now. It's bad. At least we can trot out a couple of guys that can
catch reasonably well.

The key thing in all this thinking out loud is I have no idea what our scouts think about anybody, but I can really see it playing out in a way
that addresses not only our big needs, but will make sense to the fanbase. There could be a big difference from what we're accustomed to
in that these guys might actually be sensitive to how it looks to us and Kraft as opposed to Bill who never felt pressured to please anybody
or care what the fallout was in the media. I have little doubt that Bob wants a big splash and a PR coup and won't be afraid to lean
on guys.
I’d have to think that Wolf isn’t a dumbass and knows what players would be good to draft. That and he wants to be the GM, so he’ll try his best at getting the fulltime gig.

I mostly just don’t trust Babooshka to not interfere…

Wolf is smarter than to buy the hype on McCarthy. No GM is buying his run-up the media is pitching. It's ridiculous.
He did have the best 3rd and long percentage in college football. That does kind of matter in the NFL, doesn't it? I dunno man, its a crapshoot either way.

Wolf is smarter than to buy the hype on McCarthy. No GM is buying his run-up the media is pitching. It's ridiculous.
So why did they take him out to dinner and then work him out the next day?
Do they do that for all 3rd round prospects?
Just asking.

He did have the best 3rd and long percentage in college football. That does kind of matter in the NFL, doesn't it? I dunno man, its a crapshoot either way.
Yes it is. Only 15% (7) of QBs taken in the 1st round over the last 15 years have become home runs.

Over the last 15 years, there are an average of three first-round quarterback picks per year. And over that entire span of 15 years, at least according to our rough assessment, only seven quarterbacks total have gone on to become "home runs," and that includes still-growing contemporary signal-callers like Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson.

That said, if you're preparing to go all in for the next hotshot under center, make sure you've done your homework, and/or ensured your future face of the franchise has a foundation that can support him! It's probably not a coincidence that so many quarterbacks end up providing mixed or disappointing results when the teams that draft them often tend to be in dire straits, hence their pathway to a Day 1 draft-day investment at the position. The best-case scenario, as was the case with phenoms like Mahomes, is when a present contender has an opportunity to plan for the future, adding a young prospect to an already-well-supported lineup.

So why did they take him out to dinner and then work him out the next day?
Do they do that for all 3rd round prospects?
Just asking.
it's Lyin' season.
have to keep up appearances. isn't Penix the only QB being talked about the Pats didn't meet with? you know what that means! Penix is the next QB of the NEP
it's not "hard" to see it happening
(had to get in on the Penix/Penis jokes :coffee: )

And Bo Nix has the best completion % by far. No one is saying he's a top 3 pick.
It's the total body of work, the tape that shows how they play under varying conditions, accuracy, etc. as well as intangibles.
Can't just go by 1 metric.

it's Lyin' season.
have to keep up appearances. isn't Penix the only QB being talked about the Pats didn't meet with? you know what that means! Penix is the next QB of the NEP
Penix was coming up today.

it's Lyin' season.

Actually reports say the Pats are meeting with Penix today.

Actually reports say the Pats are meeting with Penix today.

I've made my call as to who I prefer, but Penix is a really unusual/unique prospect that I'll be very interested to watch
in the league as long as it isn't here. I keep hearing he's maybe a backup guy or fringe starter, but he does the deep passing stuff as well as
anybody. He's got a hell of an arm, but is only accurate when throwing deep. He is strictly a pocket passer and his pressure
numbers are really bad, but he does the hardest thing you can ask a QB to do exceptionally well. He also seems like a fine
leader. He's a little older and will be 24 in May.

I won't bet against him, but there are a lot of question marks for him to answer.

I don't really remember a guy with this kind of profile. He's like a great 3 point shooter who can't hit a free throw or a 2 pointer.

He's a one-trick pony, but it's a really special trick. 🤷

The other thing to think about is who are you trading with. IMO, Minny with a good young QB will be mid draft next year or even more to the tail end of the first round. The Giants, well I think they suck next year especially in that division so they might have a top 5 pick next year as well, kind of like Carolina this year. I know which one I'd want more.

Back