The 2024 Draft

I've made my call as to who I prefer, but Penix is a really unusual/unique prospect that I'll be very interested to watch
in the league as long as it isn't here. I keep hearing he's maybe a backup guy or fringe starter, but he does the deep passing stuff as well as
anybody. He's got a hell of an arm, but is only accurate when throwing deep. He is strictly a pocket passer and his pressure
numbers are really bad, but he does the hardest thing you can ask a QB to do exceptionally well. He also seems like a fine
leader. He's a little older and will be 24 in May.

I won't bet against him, but there are a lot of question marks for him to answer.

I don't really remember a guy with this kind of profile. He's like a great 3 point shooter who can't hit a free throw or a 2 pointer.

He's a one-trick pony, but it's a really special trick. 🤷
Well, you could swap him out for Zappe and he can get the short passes done… ☕

Per Bedard (with no inside knowledge) thinks it’s Maye.
And if Maye isn’t available, then it’s a trade down to take Penix.

I’d be happy with Maye or McCarthy at the top. Penix has lot of bad injuries. He does not finish seasons. It doesn’t look like a fluke, the guy gets hurt. Otherwise yeah on paper I’d be happy with a trade down and Penix plus a good tackle or WR. But he can hardly finish a season on the college level.
I do think Maye has a shot to be something special. I really hope he’s a Patriot.

I’d be happy with Maye or McCarthy at the top. Penix has lot of bad injuries. He does not finish seasons. It doesn’t look like a fluke, the guy gets hurt. Otherwise yeah on paper I’d be happy with a trade down and Penix plus a good tackle or WR. But he can hardly finish a season on the college level.
I do think Maye has a shot to be something special. I really hope he’s a Patriot.
Broken Penix = not even the blue pill can fix it

He did have the best 3rd and long percentage in college football. That does kind of matter in the NFL, doesn't it? I dunno man, its a crapshoot either way.
And how often was Michigan, who ran it as much as some triple option teams, in 3rd and long situations?

I've made my call as to who I prefer, but Penix is a really unusual/unique prospect that I'll be very interested to watch
in the league as long as it isn't here. I keep hearing he's maybe a backup guy or fringe starter, but he does the deep passing stuff as well as
anybody. He's got a hell of an arm, but is only accurate when throwing deep. He is strictly a pocket passer and his pressure
numbers are really bad, but he does the hardest thing you can ask a QB to do exceptionally well.
He also seems like a fine
leader. He's a little older and will be 24 in May.

I won't bet against him, but there are a lot of question marks for him to answer.

I don't really remember a guy with this kind of profile. He's like a great 3 point shooter who can't hit a free throw or a 2 pointer.

He's a one-trick pony, but it's a really special trick. 🤷
He also ran a 4.5 flat on his pro-day. If he got with a real QB coach that could teach him when to stick and when to bail...but we'd need one of those. :coffee:

Maybe Nix instead of Penix.

View: https://twitter.com/QBKlass/status/1778121028381843676

Mel Kiper says that the Patriots will take Drake Maye. So, the debate is over.

Take Maye and pray.

He also ran a 4.5 flat on his pro-day. If he got with a real QB coach that could teach him when to stick and when to bail...but we'd need one of those. :coffee:

It's interesting how surprised everybody seemed to be when he ran that excellent time because he stayed put in the pocket way
more than a lot of his peers do these days. Nobody knew. I could credit that to confidence and patience, which he showed tons
of, but I don't know if he's going to run much in the league, either.

Totally different breed of cat and a tough evaluation.

Penix injuries mostly came when he played for IU, one of the worst football programs in the nation, that happened to play in the Big 10 against teams like Michigane, Ohio State, Penn State etc. No wonder he got hurt. His fortunes seemed to change when he transferred. I think he has promise, but we need to shore up the oline a lot or we will be the IU football team of the NFL.

I wonder what people here would be saying about a skinny out of shape kinda dude form Michigan who couldn't fully win he starting job. Point is, you never, every know and 80 percent if not more of the QBs in this draft are gonna suck. Pick the best one you can after f-ing yourself by winning games last season and then develop them correctly. The last part is the correct part and probably the only thing that truly matters.

I wonder what people here would be saying about a skinny out of shape kinda dude form Michigan who couldn't fully win he starting job. Point is, you never, every know and 80 percent if not more of the QBs in this draft are gonna suck. Pick the best one you can after f-ing yourself by winning games last season and then develop them correctly. The last part is the correct part and probably the only thing that truly matters.
On the football merits alone, Brady won the starting job junior and senior years - definitively. A lot of folks don't understand the recruiting politics that went on behind the scenes that the Michigan coaching staff inserted into the playing time equation. It's not hard to find, just DDG it. I lived through it. Brady was far away the best quarterback on that team, but promises were made to other players fathers. All 100% true and free of my anti-Wolverine bias.

Now for the bias...

It was typical Michigan skanky bullshit.

On the football merits alone, Brady won the starting job junior and senior years - definitively. A lot of folks don't understand the recruiting politics that went on behind the scenes that the Michigan coaching staff inserted into the playing time equation. It's not hard to find, just DDG it. I lived through it. Brady was far away the best quarterback on that team, but promises were made to other players fathers. All 100% true and free of my anti-Wolverine bias.

Now for the bias...

It was typical Michigan skanky bullshit.
It still amazes that Brady was pick #199.

For those that haven't heard, Pat McAfee announced that Bill Belichick himself is going to be their guest analyst for their draft coverage. I know it's true
because Bill came on the show and confirmed. He seems really excited by the gig and might just wear his rattiest hoodie to fit in with the program, which,
I believe is limited to the first round and will be on Youtube and ESPN+ starting about 7:30 with a predraft show.

I'll try to get it on YT, because I hate those sleazy pickle sniffers and always will, but I'd watch it on their streaming platform if it meant listening to Bill.

Granted, most people think he sucked at drafting, but his commentary is probably 100 times more interesting than the other clown shows and I expect he'll
be a little more relaxed than usual given his free-agent status.

Back