The '24 AFC East

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score

AFC EAST​

i

Buffalo Bills

How will the Bills keep their roster competitive and try to compete with the Chiefs despite a tough cap situation?

The challenge for the Bills this offseason is continuing to build a roster that can compete in a tough division and conference, while not pushing too much money down the road or creating future issues. While the official cap number for 2024 hasn't come out yet, the Bills are estimated to be $51.8 million over, according to Roster Management System, with big contracts that could be restructured and some tough decisions to be made.

There are currently a variety of key contributors set to leave in free agency, including defensive end Leonard Floyd and defensive tackle DaQuan Jones. This is a team that is going to be trying yet again to get past the Chiefs in the postseason, and building the roster amid their cap concerns will be quite the task. -- Alaina Getzenberg

i

Miami Dolphins

Will the Dolphins extend quarterback Tua Tagovailoa's contract?

The NFL's 2023 passing yards leader says he expects a deal to get done, and general manager Chris Grier said the goal is to have Tagovailoa playing with the Dolphins at a high level for a long time. But the Dolphins are currently $56.7 million over the projected salary cap entering the final year of his rookie contract and have several critical players set to be free agents.

Tagovailoa's performance against Miami's better opponents this season was suboptimal, and his physical limitations were apparent late in the season. But he is capable of running the Dolphins' offense with machine-like precision, and his accuracy and anticipation are among the best in the league. We will see exactly how much the Dolphins value those qualities. -- Marcel Louis-Jacques

New England Patriots

What position will the Patriots target with the No. 3 pick?

In a letter to season-ticket holders, owner Robert Kraft and team president Jonathan Kraft called 2024 the "most anticipated NFL draft of our [31-year] tenure" -- mainly because they have never had a pick as high as No. 3. The possibility of a quarterback generates the most buzz, but the Patriots' offensive needs are wide-ranging. And they also have signal-callers Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe under contract, with Jones working out regularly at the team facility this offseason. -- Mike Reiss

i

New York Jets

Can the Jets repair their broken offense enough to save coach Robert Saleh's job?

A healthy quarterback Aaron Rodgers is a big step in the right direction, but the offensive line needs an overhaul. They likely need two tackles and a guard, so look for them to sign at least one starter in free agency. They can draft a tackle with the No. 10 pick, perhaps Penn State's Olumuyiwa Fashanu or Oregon State's Taliese Fuaga.

The Jets also need a WR2, who could come in free agency or via trade. They have two young stars in running back Breece Hall and wide receiver Garrett Wilson. If they fail to build around them and take a major leap from last season -- they ranked 31st in total yards -- Saleh will likely be out of a job. -- Rich Cimini

(The Jets have just under $5M in cap space but can generate another $50M easily by restructuring 6 contracts)

How I see it.
The Bills and Dolphins will likely lose some ground to the league because of their poor cap management for 2024. Their windows should be closing until they get better control
of their cap. One or both teams could decide to go all out for this year by pushing record amounts of money forward for a few years but that's risky. If it doesn't work to win a SB this year, the team will be in cap hell and their windows will be nailed shut for 3-4 years.

McDermott and Saleh are both on the hotseat this year. I expect Saleh to fired. If the Bills don't get to a SB, McDermott will also be fired.

Last edited:

AFC EAST​

New England Patriots

What position will the Patriots target with the No. 3 pick?

In a letter to season-ticket holders, owner Robert Kraft and team president Jonathan Kraft called 2024 the "most anticipated NFL draft of our [31-year] tenure" -- mainly because they have never had a pick as high as No. 3. The possibility of a quarterback generates the most buzz, but the Patriots' offensive needs are wide-ranging. And they also have signal-callers Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe under contract, with Jones working out regularly at the team facility this offseason. -- Mike Reiss

(The Jets have just under $5M in cap space but can generate another $50M easily by restructuring 6 contracts)

How I see it.
The Bills and Dolphins will likely lose some ground to the league because of their poor cap management for 2024. Their windows should be closing until they get better control
of their cap. One or both teams could decide to go all out for this year by pushing record amounts of money forward for a few years but that's risky. If it doesn't work to win a SB this year, the team will be in cap hell and their windows will be nailed shut for 3-4 years.

McDermott and Saleh are both on the hotseat this year. I expect Saleh to fired. If the Bills don't get to a SB, McDermott will also be fired.
Mike Reiss is always the voice of reason and common sense.

I just checked and there are two Bills defenders that I think would be decent fits in NE - Milano and Poyer. Both are signed through next year but could they be cap casualties?

Thoughts?

The Pats really need to nail this draft and win in FA over the next two seasons. The BIlls/Fins cap situation is not likely to improve and we've seen this Jets rodeo before. The AFCE is on the descent and if the Patriots continue to wallow, shame on them because in 2025, 10-7 might very well win the division.

I just checked and there are two Bills defenders that I think would be decent fits in NE - Milano and Poyer. Both are signed through next year but could they be cap casualties?

Thoughts?

I'm no capologist, but I bet if Buff can kick the can down the road they will, because the window is sliding down.

Thoughts?
Milano's a pile jumper and Poyer is way past his prime at this point. In Poyer's case, you're far better off re-signing Dugger, if you can get him to agree.

In Milano's case, we don't know what kind of defense The Patriots are going to run here next year. There might be better LB options already on the roster.

The Dolphins begin their journey out of cap hell.
They start by announcing their intentions to release 2 underachieving but costly players

The Dolphins begin their journey out of cap hell.
They start by announcing their intentions to release 2 underachieving but costly players

Probably for this:

Very interesting it's only 4 years. He turns 27 tomorrow.

NFL Shield

The First Read

The First Read: 10 takeaways from 2024 NFL Scouting Combine's media availabilities​

Published: Feb 28, 2024 at 06

5) Mike Evans is going to want a lot of money.

7) Buffalo needs to figure out a ton of questions on defense: The Bills can blame defensive breakdowns for their inability to reach the Super Bowl in each of the last three seasons, and now they face an offseason with more uncertainty on that side of the football. One safety (Micah Hyde) is a free agent who could retire, while another (Jordan Poyer) could be a salary-cap casualty. Cornerback Tre'Davious White also has a $16 million cap number that could make him expendable -- especially since he tore an Achilles just two years after sustaining a torn ACL -- while linebacker Matt Milano is returning from a fractured leg. There's also the legitimate question about whether edge rusher Von Miller will ever be a difference-maker again after tearing his own ACL in 2022 and generating no impact this past season. "He finished the season healthy so he's doing well," said Bills GM Brandon Beane. "I think he's in Texas right now. We're hoping that he will look more like he did when we got him [when] he had eight sacks in [nine games]. We're hoping that's the Von [we get]."

The biggest story for our division this year for me is if Rodgers is back healthy. That Jets team is lock and loaded ...

The Bills had to cut starting Safety Poyer,starting Center Morse, and starting CB White to get right with the cap. White had freak injuries the past 2 years but was one of the best players on the team when healthy.
I remember that White, as a rookie, giving Gronk fits in the snow.

Last edited:
In 2017, the #Bills traded their 10th pick to the #Chiefs.
The Bills got: Tre'Davious White, Zay Jones, Tremaine Edmunds, and Siran Neal.

NOW THEY ARE ALL GONE FROM BUFFALO.

KC used that 10th overall on Patrick Mahomes.

Back