The Atheist Thread

MAYHEM

Reaction score
Political Thread I suppose and probably get crickets down here, but plenty of religion threads up top, so this is the opposite.

I am not an atheist, but most here are, I think.

Without bringing up organized religion, why would someone be an atheist?

Political Thread I suppose and probably get crickets down here, but plenty of religion threads up top, so this is the opposite.

Well thats like asking why would someone be a Yankee fan. I would assume you are what you believe in, if someone does not believe in a God, then they are an atheist, so that is why they would be one. I am not an atheist either, but I also do not tell people how to believe, because frankly I have none of the answers.

Isn't this pretty much the definition of an athiest? One who doesn't belong to an organized religion? I know "not believing in a higher power" is another part of it; which, you know, science has been mentioning for a long time, but really, no one has to defend "being an athiest" until someone asks them what church they go to.

Isn't this pretty much the definition of an athiest? One who doesn't belong to an organized religion? I know "not believing in a higher power" is another part of it; which, you know, science has been mentioning for a long time, but really, no one has to defend "being an athiest" until someone asks them what church they go to.

I think Midgar's post is a good definition of atheism.

You can believe in God without being a part of organized religion.

A person may also be agnostic instead of atheist. I understand being agnostic more than being an atheist.

The reason why I asked the question that way is because when atheists are asked about atheism, many times they point to organized religion. Probably the same thing for those who do believe in God. But that's not really the answer I don't think. Something else causes faith or lack of.

You could also have an experience and decide to stop believing in God. Something triggers a loss of faith, you decide that a true god would not allow something to happen and conclude god is a mythical creature.

You could also have an experience and decide to stop believing in God. Something triggers a loss of faith, you decide that a true god would not allow something to happen and conclude god is a mythical creature.
That's interesting to me and everyone is different. I do think that happens, and also on the opposite spectrum. Someone who doesn't believe can also have experiences that make them believe, too.

I think Midgar's post is a good definition of atheism.

You can believe in God without being a part of organized religion.

A person may also be agnostic instead of atheist. I understand being agnostic more than being an atheist.

The reason why I asked the question that way is because when atheists are asked about atheism, many times they point to organized religion. Probably the same thing for those who do believe in God. But that's not really the answer I don't think. Something else causes faith or lack of.

Hmmm how about being brought up an Atheist? Like being brought up a Catholic, Baptist, Muslim and so on. If that is what you are taught, usually it sticks with you.

Most who claim to be atheist are really agnostic. They just think it cooler to call themselves atheists.

All them bailout calls for the Ravens in the 2nd quarter was brutal.

So this was about Fantasy football all along?
Seems appropriate: Deity of your choice = Fantasy.

:D

Most who claim to be atheist are really agnostic. They just think it cooler to call themselves atheists.

I believe that probably 90% of agnostics would disagree with you about that. In fact probably the same percentage of atheists would as well. There is a very big difference between atheist and agnostic to most folks who are one or the other. I have several friends in both camps who would immediately correct you if you labeled them incorrectly.

I fear my belief in no god will piss off god

That's the basic line my mother uses on me. She tries to convince me that I may as well believe because I have nothing to lose by doing so.

My response is usually to tell her that if God is as smart as he/she is supposed to be, he/she will know that I'm just pretending.

That's the basic line my mother uses on me. She tries to convince me that I may as well believe because I have nothing to lose by doing so.

My response is usually to tell her that if God is as smart as he/she is supposed to be, he/she will know that I'm just pretending.

I was reading an article the other day that some physicists are theorizing that the universe is a hologram (or even a computer simulation).

We might have to start redefining the term 'God' to fit a disengaged 12 year old video game playing extraterrestrial. Hope he doesn't get bored and shut his simulation down. Coffee.

Back