The Atheist Thread

Question was in the OP.

Thanks from dropping down here, I've muddied up the couches a bit.

I like you. This board needs more Patriots Pam types if you ask me, which no one did. :wink:

No point in buttering me up, I don't have any pull with the mods. :coffee: :D Actually, I thought you had already been pardoned, but I guess not.

Anyhoo, from your OP: "Without bringing up organized religion, why would someone be an atheist?"

Well, one would be an atheist mostly because they don't believe in God. :coffee:

As to the how and why one would develop/maintain that [lack of] belief, that varies amongst atheists that I have encountered, for some of the reasons already mentioned. Some rebelled against a strict religious upbringing. Some were devoutly religious themselves, and then experienced some type of crisis of faith, and changed teams. Some (probably the fewest, in my experience) were brought up in atheist/agnostic households. And some (like me) just never really "bought in" to the whole concept for whatever reasons.

My parents believe in God, although we were never a regularly church-going kind of family. My sister and I were definitely raised to believe, though. Moreso via my (Catholic) mother's expressed beliefs, than by my father's (a non-denominational, Supreme Being kind of guy.) My sister believes in God, and even went to catechism on her own in her late teens and became a confirmed Catholic. I however, just never really bought in, as I said above. My recollection is that even as a little kid, the concept of God just didn't really jive with me. By the time I was 12 or so, the existence of God just kind of ceased being a question of interest for me. Nothing dramatic, no watershed event, I just was never able to make the leap of faith necessary in order to believe. And a Pascal's Wager type of thing seems both hypocritical and pointless IMO.

I should note that I probably lean more towards agnostic than a true atheist: I personally do not believe that there is a God(s)/Supreme Being of any sort. But I don't feel correct in declaring that there absolutely is no god, because who am I to say. :shrug: To that point, I used to say that I was agnostic, but people tended to interpret that as meaning I was undecided, which is not the case. So I just go with "atheist" as a kind of short hand to make it more clear that I definitely don't believe in God, nor am I interested in further examining the question or being persuaded. And usually only when I'm asked, I'm not militant about it or anything, and rarely mention it unless asked directly.

tl;dr version: I don't believe that there is a god, I never really did, and don't expect that I ever will, but who am I to really say definitively for anyone else. It is what it is, so to speak. :D

You can believe in God without being a part of organized religion.

This is a very broad and vast topic.

Pretty much every religion believes in their own version of God.

Organized religion is where the manipulation, rules and dogma are spread. Also the traditions of man.

Thought I somehow accidentally stumbled into the P&R forum, which I never go into. ROFL

But since I'm here, I'll put this out there...what the hell :fire:

I am an "atheist". It's no big whoop. Feel free to ask questions. I don't bite. Most of the time.

Nice to meet you! My real name is Bacchus. I like to have fun! >)

I should note that I probably lean more towards agnostic than a true atheist: I personally do not believe that there is a God(s)/Supreme Being of any sort. But I don't feel correct in declaring that there absolutely is no god, because who am I to say. :shrug: To that point, I used to say that I was agnostic, but people tended to interpret that as meaning I was undecided, which is not the case. So I just go with "atheist" as a kind of short hand to make it more clear that I definitely don't believe in God, nor am I interested in further examining the question or being persuaded. And usually only when I'm asked, I'm not militant about it or anything, and rarely mention it unless asked directly.
You are as I described earlier. You do not believe that there is a God, so you call yourself an atheist. However, your intellectual honesty will not let you state that you are certain, so you admit to being an agnostic. I think that is admirable of you to be so honest.

You are as I described earlier. You do not believe that there is a God, so you call yourself an atheist. However, your intellectual honesty will not let you state that you are certain, so you admit to being an agnostic. I think that is admirable of you to be so honest.

Well I mean isn't that everyone really? Nobody really knows, they might believe one way or the other, but none of us really know exactly what the deal is, even if you think you do, you are basing it off faith, not hard evidence of existence....

Problem is midgar, some people don't know, that they don't "know."

That's actually where most of the problems come from.

I the opinion of this searcher, it takes at least as much faith to declare the non-existence of God as it does to declare his/her existence. I'm not a fan of personal pronouns when it comes to God, I would probably use "It".

If you were to factor in Pascal's wager it would perhaps tip the scales in favor of requiring more "faith" to declare the non-existance since in an otherwise 50/50 proposition the "you have nothing to lose" argument would be a good reason to side with the believers.

I the opinion of this searcher, it takes at least as much faith to declare the non-existence of God as it does to declare his/her existence. I'm not a fan of personal pronouns when it comes to God, I would probably use "It".

If you were to factor in Pascal's wager it would perhaps tip the scales in favor of requiring more "faith" to declare the non-existance since in an otherwise 50/50 proposition the "you have nothing to lose" argument would be a good reason to side with the believers.

I'm smart enough to know I'm too dumb to figure this out.

Why would anyone believe in god?

God comforts me and gives me strength when I need it.

When my Dad was in war zones overseas. When friends and family die. Stuff like that is much easier when you believe in God.

Better than random and meaningless.

God comforts me and gives me strength when I need it.

When my Dad was in war zones overseas. When friends and family die. Stuff like that is much easier when you believe in God.

Better than random and meaningless.

Believing in god doesn't take away random. It just shifts blame.

Believing in god doesn't take away random. It just shifts blame.

I'm not sure what you mean in context to my post you quoted.

When someone dies, what happens? We don't know. Yet that doesn''t stop atheists from telling a kid that if Daddy dies, he'll never see him again.

I'm a Christian, and God brings comfort in times of need. I feel it; I believe it; I'm sold on it.

Matthew 5 3-10 said:
“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven..

Back