The Avengers

Saw it a few days ago. Although it started a bit slow, I loved it.

Robert Downey Jr. steals the show as Iron Man. Hulk was pretty good, too.

Saw it yesterday at the IMAX in 3d. Took one of my employees, Awesome.

Damn Hulk and Loki. ROFL

OMFG LOL at Hulk and Loki. ROFL

Terrific movie. Loved it. Bravo!!

Now bring on TDKR. Pyx II and I will be there opening night.
Posted via Mobile Device

You cloned yourself? eeek

They don't have to stick to that. Many movies "tease" at the end of a film, just in case the film makes money and they decide to make a second one, but they don't necessarily have to explore that direction right away. (Unlike, say, the end of "Iron Man", when Tony Starks admits he's Iron Man. They obviously couldn't ignore that in "Iron Man II".) A second "Avengers" film could do whatever they want in terms of villainy and always cop out by saying in a few scenes, like the Borg in "ST:TNG", Thanos is slowly making his way towards Earth.

So far they've not strayed a whole lot from those post-title trailers, though. I do think Thanos will be the next villain - and I'm sure they'll make it palatable. I just think there's a register of more solid villains to pick from.

Personally, I kinda like the idea of Thanos as the next villain. He's a badass pure and simple, though it may mean seeing more of the Shitari. (I always liked the Skrulls better).

Ah Hell's Bells. I knew I was going to end up needing to watch other movies.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ah Hell's Bells. I knew I was going to end up needing to watch other movies.
Posted via Mobile Device

:thwak:

dr-strangelove-DVDcover.jpg

:coffee:

My thoughts:

The plot was pretty non-existant: bunch of baddies attacking New York, main villain wants to take over the earth, etc. etc. Throw in a generic McGuffin (the cosmic cube, i.e. "tesserect") and you have a pretty formulaic action movie.

That said the movie was carried by individual performances, great special effects, phenomonal action sequences, great chemistry and interaction between the characters, and just the right amount of humor.

As has been pointed out Downey and Ruffallo were both excellent and the scene's with the Hulk were both great action and funny. The motion-capture used is way better than the CGI employed previously.

My hopes for the sequal are more focus on the characters - the plot and even the villain are all secondary to the character interactions.

And if they are going to bring in a new team member, as I assume they will, I would love it to be Vision or Dr. Strange.

My thoughts:

The plot was pretty non-existant: bunch of baddies attacking New York, main villain wants to take over the earth, etc. etc. Throw in a generic McGuffin (the cosmic cube, i.e. "tesserect") and you have a pretty formulaic action movie.

It's pretty hard for any action movie to not follow this pattern. Even harder for superhero films. You need a villian, you need a plan, you need a target. As you pointed out, though, it's all just a pretty backdrop for action sequences and watching the characters interact (which is the whole point of an "Avengers" film anyway). I thoroughly enjoyed it, although I'm not as in love with it as the comic-book geeks, but I do think that Joss did the best job possible with a single-film script and so many actors to give talking time to (and characters to give action time to).

I just saw it this weekend and largely agree with Den's assessment, funny at times…but is it asking too much for a writer/director to create a climactic battle scene that at least hints at the world being at risk instead of giving us a bunch of gay (not that there’s anything wrong with that) biker alien dudes who have crappy all flash no bang weapons, and who could easily be defeated by a few army reserve flunkies. But at least they threatened to ruin lunch hour for a small portion of the tri-state area.

I enjoyed the movie overall. To be honest, though, I prefer Iron Man to this.

Downey Jr. and Raffalo (sp?) were phenomenal; Loki was amusing, Thor was well cast, etc. The characters overall were great.

The first half dragggggggggeeeedddd. I kept saying to myself, okay, let's get things going.

The second half was great, but I agree with Darn; the battle itself was... too simple. None of the aliens actually hurt any of the superheroes. It was just scene after scene of shooting, baddies exploding, more shooting, more baddies exploding, etc.

Overall, a great movie that I enjoyed, but it had some major flaws.

I kept thinking "Well Mid-Town is toast."
Posted via Mobile Device

Excellent flick. Took my 9 year old. He only went to the bathroom once (means he was enthralled.)

I was a little leery about the Captain America and Thor movies because I heard they were going to make an Avengers movie. But both were great. Thor especially did a great job with the Thor/Loki relationship.

Ruffalo was a perfect Banner. Scar Jo was so hawt.

Did anyone notice that the female military chickie was Robin from How I Met Your Mother?

Trailer looks really good.

Getting a little tired of the Marvel formula though.

Back