The Fitness Thread

I am now at my lowest since about when I was in college.

For me the key has not been how much I eat but more what and how often.

I am pretty fit for 63, feel stronger than when I was weighing in at 247,

my exercise now is working at an amazon distribution center 20 hours a week and walking my dogs and yard work. big yard.
I got down to 167 at one point but looked at myself and said you are a f'n skeleton. so did wifey.

My best weight is 188, I try to keep it there,
I watch my carbs,

Also use bands,

Last edited:
I would like to wake up my upper back muscles. who here has some easy fix on how to get those muscles to respond. It used to be natural for me, not anymore.

Seated cable rows
I used to row up river on an inner tube. fun,,
no rivers out here... but thanks, I think you are right, Will figure out a way to do it here at home.

it is weird though, as you get older keeping up the physique gets tough. Maybe I took too long of a vacation,
If only I didnt have other shit to worry about. Thinking, learnig about myself. Gratefull for my body. I wand to take good care of it as it ages,

Last edited:
Yup. Check out (if you haven't yet) Dr Jason Fung on YouTube. A lot of great videos talking about the hormones.
I've been watching his videos for a long time about both what and when to eat.

Another good one to follow on the same subjects is former Olympic decathlete Dr. Sten Ekberg. Here's a good video on how to eat fewer times a day (intermittent fasting).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRHs4okPenk

I've been watching his videos for a long time about both what and when to eat.

Another good one to follow on the same subjects is former Olympic decathlete Dr. Sten Ekberg. Here's a good video on how to eat fewer times a day (intermittent fasting).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRHs4okPenk

Yes, I've watched him as well and more recently several of the different carnivore doctors.

is he more a men only guy or is this for both? because of course, hormonal changes differ male & female.

is he more a men only guy or is this for both? because of course, hormonal changes differ male & female.
In general a lot of these practices apply to both. Men and women share the same hormones in regards to fat storage. But women have additional challenges with the hormonal Flux and that estrogen is also a fat storage hormone.

Her channel is more focused on fasting and the benefits of it, but Dr Mindy Pelz often talks about what women should do differently both pre and post menopause and at different times of the month.

In general a lot of these practices apply to both. Men and women share the same hormones in regards to fat storage. But women have additional challenges with the hormonal Flux and that estrogen is also a fat storage hormone.

Her channel is more focused on fasting and the benefits of it, but Dr Mindy Pelz often talks about what women should do differently both pre and post menopause and at different times of the month.
We just hit my top 4 nutritionists. Dr. Mindy is also excellent. Has a LOT of women-specific videos and weekly fasts. She is only #4 on my list because a lot of her videos don't apply to me. If I were a women, she would be at the top of my list, with Jason Fung a close second. Interestingly, none of the four put a whole lot of emphasis on exercise or weight training. They all seem to go with WHAT you eat (whole foods containing minimal carbs) as the most important, and then WHEN you eat (one or two meals a day with no eating anything at all between meals).

I've been on the road for the past 3-4 weeks and am now settled in Walt Disney World for the next two weeks before heading home. Eating whole foods is challenging on the road. Fasting of course can be done anywhere but given my wife is eating three times a day and hitting a treats place at night, my weight is surging. Not complaining. This is our first vacation since 2017 and it's great to see her having such fun. I'll get back on the horse more strictly when we get home.

We just hit my top 4 nutritionists. Dr. Mindy is also excellent. Has a LOT of women-specific videos and weekly fasts. She is only #4 on my list because a lot of her videos don't apply to me. If I were a women, she would be at the top of my list, with Jason Fung a close second. Interestingly, none of the four put a whole lot of emphasis on exercise or weight training. They all seem to go with WHAT you eat (whole foods containing minimal carbs) as the most important, and then WHEN you eat (one or two meals a day with no eating anything at all between meals).

I've been on the road for the past 3-4 weeks and am now settled in Walt Disney World for the next two weeks before heading home. Eating whole foods is challenging on the road. Fasting of course can be done anywhere but given my wife is eating three times a day and hitting a treats place at night, my weight is surging. Not complaining. This is our first vacation since 2017 and it's great to see her having such fun. I'll get back on the horse more strictly when we get home.
A happy wife is a happy life. (Out of nowhere, just made that up. 🤷)

Cheers

Just had my 6 month checkup. I had lost 10 lbs since my last appointment and my cholesterol dropped 20 points. My doctor took me off of my blood pressure and cholesterol medications. The training wheels are off now. It's all on me. When I started this journey God knows how many years ago I was 6' 2" 256 lbs. Today I'm down to 208. My ultimate goal is 200 so I'm almost there.

Last edited:
Just had my 6 month checkup. I had lost 10 lbs since my last appointment and my cholesterol dropped 20 points. My doctor took me off of my blood pressure and cholesterol medications. The training wheels are off now. It's all on me. When I started this journey God knows how many years ago I was 6' 2" 256 lbs. Today I'm down to 208. My ultimate goal is 200 so I'm almost there.

Nice work, All.

Nice work.

Reactions: Alk
congrats, @Alk !
Thanks to a food/calorie/exercise app recommended to me by someone at my workout studio, i'm down a few. not sure how many because i was afraid to weigh myself at the beginning...😄 finally got on the scale a few days ago, and if it is correct, have about 10 lbs to go.

congrats, @Alk !
Thanks to a food/calorie/exercise app recommended to me by someone at my workout studio, i'm down a few. not sure how many because i was afraid to weigh myself at the beginning...😄 finally got on the scale a few days ago, and if it is correct, have about 10 lbs to go.
Woot! Woot!

BSF joins the fray!

I know I have all of that same shit in the kitchen cab closest to the sink. Between my son and I it is become an expensive habit.

Want another expensive habit? Broken shaker bottles! WTF!?!?!?! Why can't they make those things a little tougher? Why can't the lids all fit each other??? I have gone for one and there have been 4 clean bottles and 4 clean lids and I can't get any lid to screw on any bottle without leaking.

It is a fucking conspiracy!
Don't shake, spin the mixing ball to blend!

Back