The Golf thread

I would love to see Rahm win it.
Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF by MOODMAN
I wouldn't have an issue if Rham wins it, but I'd like to see Hovland (personal fav/binky) Rory as he doesn't have a green jacket and majors drought, someone else that doesn't have a green jacket. Rahm looked strong today after that first hole, but lets see how the weather effects things.
nothing against someone who already has a green jacket, but cool to see someone new.
even Spieth who has been on a long drought.
hell, as long as it's not a LIV I'm ok with it.

edit - not sure if Rham has a green jacket, so if he doesn't and wins that first my criteria :coffee:

I wouldn't have an issue if Rham wins it, but I'd like to see Hovland (personal fav/binky) Rory as he doesn't have a green jacket and majors drought, someone else that doesn't have a green jacket. Rahm looked strong today after that first hole, but lets see how the weather effects things.
nothing against someone who already has a green jacket, but cool to see someone new.

edit - not sure if Rham has a green jacket, so if he doesn't and wins that first my criteria :coffee:
Jordan Spieth for me.

Would like Rory to complete his slam. And I like Rahms style. The short backswing to adjust for his foot issue has sort of resonated for some reason. But not really rooting I don't think just enjoying the great event.

Cheers

I don’t think Rahm has a green jacket yet. Plus, it’s just fun to yell Spaniard!! When he does something good.

that reminded me of something.... the other day I flipped on Golf Channel and it was an LPGA event, not any kind of major, just another tournament. I had mentioned before how it gets tiring hearing people yell "Get in the hole" repeatedly. at this LPGA event, the golfer hits the ball and 1 guy says "get in the hole" and it was otherwise very quiet so it sounded extra dumb to be only one saying it.

I was able to attend all four days back in 2011. It was through a company event and I actually have a green jacket that is only slightly different from the original. I also have a picture of the “champions dinner“ we had mimicking the Masters champions, dinner. Unfortunately, that was the last year my company paid for that. It is an amazing place. It cost a fortune to get in and the items for sale in the “Pro shop“ are ridiculously expensive, but the food is next to free and because you are still not able to bring phones on Course, they have banks of free pay phones throughout the course where you can call throughout the world at no charge.

Which dinner did they mimic? I always liked the story about how Sandy Lyle decided to serve Haggis and the Champs were grossed out. I tried it when I was in Scotland out of curiosity and I thought it was pretty good, but that was a hell of an idea by your company. Scotty's sounded like a winner with the Texas beef and bbq.

I was able to attend a practice round once which gave me a chance to see the place and be wowed by how generally great you get treated by everyone there. Smiles and warmth. I lost count of how many employees wished that I enjoyed my day and seemed sincere. I knew I wasn't in Massachusetts anymore. As you noted, the food is incredibly cheap and good and I can report it was the same deal with beer. Since it was a perfect, warm, Spring day and a major buzz had snuck up on me, I decided to wander over to the par 3 course, which was then empty and laid down on a tee box bench in the shade and took a little nap. I woke up when I realized that a group of pros were messing around and had teed it up scant feet from me. I apologized and started to get up and one of them (didn't recognize him) apologized for waking me and said that I was good and I should just relax and stay right there, so I watched their shots from a prone and prime position. I hardly ever nap, but that one was different.

My lasting memory of Augusta was the first time I walked out of the pines past the scoreboards and coming upon a massive ocean of perfectly green grass in the sunshine with nary a brown blade to be seen. It wasn't part of the golf course and it's only purpose, far as I can tell, was to make my jaw drop.

Which dinner did they mimic? I always liked the story about how Sandy Lyle decided to serve Haggis and the Champs were grossed out. I tried it when I was in Scotland out of curiosity and I thought it was pretty good, but that was a hell of an idea by your company. Scotty's sounded like a winner with the Texas beef and bbq.

I was able to attend a practice round once which gave me a chance to see the place and be wowed by how generally great you get treated by everyone there. Smiles and warmth. I lost count of how many employees wished that I enjoyed my day and seemed sincere. I knew I wasn't in Massachusetts anymore. As you noted, the food is incredibly cheap and good and I can report it was the same deal with beer. Since it was a perfect, warm, Spring day and a major buzz had snuck up on me, I decided to wander over to the par 3 course, which was then empty and laid down on a tee box bench in the shade and took a little nap. I woke up when I realized that a group of pros were messing around and had teed it up scant feet from me. I apologized and started to get up and one of them (didn't recognize him) apologized for waking me and said that I was good and I should just relax and stay right there, so I watched their shots from a prone and prime position. I hardly ever nap, but that one was different.

My lasting memory of Augusta was the first time I walked out of the pines past the scoreboards and coming upon a massive ocean of perfectly green grass in the sunshine with nary a brown blade to be seen. It wasn't part of the golf course and it's only purpose, far as I can tell, was to make my jaw drop.
The company didn’t mimic the menu as much as it did the set up in the “library“ of our hospitality house for dinner. Square table etc. If memory serves, we had some sort of fish and beef tenderloin (which I’m making on Sunday). I don’t have any on course pictures of course but I do have a framed picture before that dinner of all of us standing/sitting similar to one the Masters releases of the Champions Dinner each year.

There are a few high end companies that work all year to provide hospitality houses (not tents) near Augusta National. The “hospitality” is anything you want it to be. Don’t ask for sunscreen, unless you’re prepared to have somebody way younger and prettier than you insist upon putting it on for you, for instance. And I’ll stop there. food and beverage of all kinds available from dawn, until well after dusk at the house. The parking lot across the street was where John Daly, who was not playing that year, had pulled up his humongous bus and laid out his merchandise under a tent. He sat out there and drank and sold stuff all week.

That jacket is hanging in my closet as it has been since the day I brought it home except for a couple of times times I wanted to show it to somebody over the years. It’s been a while. I’m going to go check on it. LOL

It was still there in the back COVERED in dust along with a dozen other jackets and suits from a bygone business era of just 5 years ago. I grabbed a pic of the jacket and took one of the pre-dinner picture. I was the only "first timer" on that trip. At that time no one knew it was also the last time. The executives were there (maybe 10) and they rest of us were the winners. 19k people world wide so winning that trip was difficult. I am the bald guy (yes, even back then), back row, 3rd from left on my tippy toes. I had to take the picture through the glass case as I now realize that the case is actually locked. I never knew that and it has been 7 feet from my office desk/chair full of work things at home forever. Gonna have to ask the boss about locking cases. Who knew?

Attachments

• IMG_5204.jpeg
    IMG_5204.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5203.jpeg
    IMG_5203.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Masters in weather delay. they just showed video of a couple of those tall pines fall over as people scrambled to get out of the way. I saw on TV, I'm sure it'll hit youtube soon.

They played it on tv as well. Slightly different angle.

Right now, they are continuing round 2 in the light rain. Tiger had 3 make a birdie opportunities on his 1st 3 holes this morning and made 1.
Rory will not make the cut and neither will LIV stars Bryson and Sergio.

Last edited:
Watching Phil and Jordan via cbssports.com while making Easter dinner.

Very enjoyable.

This amateur kid Sam Bennet is something else. What a round he's having, -3 on the final day of the Masters.

Rahm is really laser focussed now. What a shot there on 13, incredible.

5 foursomes today for the family lol. Tons of fun and now watching the end of the Masters lol.
Not going to lie but we had the whole course ro ourselves.

~Dee~

5 foursomes today for the family lol. Tons of fun and now watching the end of the Masters lol.
Not going to lie but we had the whole course ro ourselves.

~Dee~
Good for you. Courses have just opened up and it's been a bit cool. The weather is suppose to be good as the week progresses.
The 20th is the earliest that I can try playing with irons only. But I may go down sometime this week and try chipping and putting.

Good for you. Courses have just opened up and it's been a bit cool. The weather is suppose to be good as the week progresses.
The 20th is the earliest that I can try playing with irons only. But I may go down sometime this week and try chipping and putting.
We belong to a club so we had brunch and the second seating was 1:30 ..... ours was at 11 and there were 23 of us and the next seating was 1:30 lol. So it was fun and a bit chilly. My first round of the year ... shot a 92 not my best but lol I’ll take it.

~Dee~

Last edited:
Back