The Golf thread

Dear Daughter (Lilly or Hammer depending on HER mood) took a part time job tending bar at the grill room at a course a few miles away for the summer. It is a nice and super busy public track that does a ton of corporate business. She graduates from MSU in May (dental school in the fall) and starts at the Grill Room the next day.

This outta be fun...

I happened to turn on the Heritage yesterday to witness an act of sportsmanship that you just don't see in other sports. Walker hit a shot that went in an area that no one could find the ball. The official was about to rule tha Walkers ball had to be on the opposite side of the pond.
Scottie S. who was tied with Walker at the time, called the officials over and insisted that he saw the ball hit the big tree on the side of the pond closer to the green. That gave Walker a much better shot.
Can you see this happening football? A Jets player is ruled out of bounds but a Patriots player insist the Jets player was in bounds. How about baseball? A Yankee hit a hard line drive down the line. The umpire calls it foul. But a Red Sox player comes over and insist that he saw it land in fair territory.
Only in golf could that happen. Only in golf do you call a penalty on yourself.

Last edited:
I happened to turn on the Heritage yesterday to witness an act of sportsmanship that you just don't see in other sports. Walker hit a shot that went in an area that no one could find the ball. The official was about to rule tha Walkers ball had to be on the opposite side of the pond.
Scottie S. who was tied with Walker at the time, called the officials over and insisted that he saw the ball hit the big tree on the side of the pond closer to the green. The gave Walker a much better shot.
Can you see this happening football? A Jets player is ruled out of bounds but a Patriots player insist the Jets player was in bounds. How about baseball? A Yankee hit a hard line drive down the line. The umpire calls it foul. UT a Red Sox player comes over and insist that he saw it land in fair territory.
Only in golf could that happen. Only in golf do you call a penalty on yourself.
Great post. I watched that situation unfold as well. And my appreciation for Scotty grew. Sportsmanship is all too often lost.

Good reason for getting young people involved in the game as early as possible.
Is it a game, or is it a sport?

Sometimes I think it's one, and sometimes the other. If one is walking a hilly course and carrying a full bag of clubs, it can be a pretty good workout.

On the other hand, riding in a cart with a cooler full of your favorite beverage and just enjoying a day outdoors is a lot of fun, but doesn't seem like exercise.

Sometimes I think it's one, and sometimes the other. If one is walking a hilly course and carrying a full bag of clubs, it can be a pretty good workout.

On the other hand, riding in a cart with a cooler full of your favorite beverage and just enjoying a day outdoors is a lot of fun, but doesn't seem like exercise.
I usually go with the cart and the cooler... I'm not good enough to worry if a few beers is effecting my swing :coffee:

:toast:

and I have heard the whole argument about game v. sport... who cares. The real question is why do people play something so frustrating! ha ha

I usually go with the cart and the cooler... I'm not good enough to worry if a few beers is effecting my swing :coffee:

:toast:

and I have heard the whole argument about game v. sport... who cares. The real question is why do people play something so frustrating! ha ha
When it comes to casual golf with a cooler in the cart it has the same impact on me as darts and pool did back in the younger days. A couple of beers sharpens the skill and the shots get more accurate and then that sip of the third or maybe even fourth beer brings everything crashing down and then 8 inch putts aren’t gimmies any longer.🍻

Good question. I'll answer it this way. I have played all kinds of sports. The skill involved hitting that stationary ball at a consistent level is the hardest. Quite a few others have said the same thing.
Yet you don't have to be a highly conditioned athlete to play the game. People in their 60s, 70s, and even 80s play the game.
So, I would say it's a sport if you are playing at a competitive level. It's a game, recreational activity, for people like me.

I'm not sure at what point the term "sport" all of the sudden got associated with being athletic. I mean hunting and fishing has been considered "sport" for ages and if you looked at the typical hunter or fisherman, I think the word athletic would probably be one of the last things that comes to mind.

I'm not sure at what point the term "sport" all of the sudden got associated with being athletic. I mean hunting and fishing has been considered "sport" for ages and if you looked at the typical hunter or fisherman, I think the word athletic would probably be one of the last things that comes to mind.
Excellent point; in addition to hunting and fishing, activities such as chess and other games are sometimes considered to be sports. I have no issues with that designation.

You have mooted my previous post - well done, sir!

saw the end of the RBC yesterday.... when Speith had that short put to win, and the camera angle was nice and low to show the ball rolling to the hole.... then it made a slight more to the right, rimmed cup and staid out.... wow. that was close... then Speith loses on next playoff hole.

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/M3xYucNLaus

Back