The Golf thread

I've hacked occasionally at golf for a long time, but the other day I went to the range and felt like I had made a "breakthrough" on my swing. mainly my driver. funny thing is I'm almost hesitant to go back in case a good trip to the range was a fluke :)
j/k I'll be back in a day or two, and will get some real golf in when my son is next back home (doing summer courses at college for his masters).

as I posted earlier, I'm the guy who golfs as an excuse to drink beer and have fun, but I wouldn't mind if I could be a tad more consistent (aka - suck less often)

I've hacked occasionally at golf for a long time, but the other day I went to the range and felt like I had made a "breakthrough" on my swing. mainly my driver. funny thing is I'm almost hesitant to go back in case a good trip to the range was a fluke :)
j/k I'll be back in a day or two, and will get some real golf in when my son is next back home (doing summer courses at college for his masters).

as I posted earlier, I'm the guy who golfs as an excuse to drink beer and have fun, but I wouldn't mind if I could be a tad more consistent (aka - suck less often)
Isn’t that what golf is for lol...

~Dee~

Hanging in my happy place! Waiting for the girls to arrive tomorrow... Always a fun time. Tee times Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.... have a great weekend!View attachment 10940
You don't need me to tell you that place is gorgeous. Have fun with the hens and hit them straight and far.
Without 18 holes, you'll never find the 19th.

Cheers, :toast:

After many years of careful research I can confirm that the 19th hole also functions as the 0 hole. You CAN start there and then proceed to the first hole.

I use to play a lot of golf with my coworkers when I was stationed in Japan, we would rent a couple carts and keep a cooler full of beer on ice. The strongest part of my games was hitting the ball of the tee, I wasn't always accurate but it was fun to play. I hated hitting the ball off the fairway which meant I had to go look for my ball which on occasion meant avoiding these huge spiders ( i believe they were banana spiders), I would usually just say screw it and drop a ball and play on but it all depended on how many beers I had in me by then.

Looks like several PGA players who jumped to the LIV are losing some of their sponsors.

As expected. One of my clients, the title sponsor of a men's PGA tournament, dropped Bryson DeChambeau like a hot rock.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland used this as the excuse to drop him as well after that incident earlier this season.

As expected. One of my clients, the title sponsor of a men's PGA tournament, dropped Bryson DeChambeau like a hot rock.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland used this as the excuse to drop him as well after that incident earlier this season.
I know that both DJ and Phil have lost sponsors. But they must feel that the total money that they get from the Saudis make up for it.

I know that both DJ and Phil have lost sponsors. But they must feel that the total money that they get from the Saudis make up for it.

Saw somewhere that the signing bonuses were 100 million each.

Well Hawgie if your goal is to break 80, then you must be very good for a non-pro.
I'm in the low 90s and would be thrilled to break 90. I had 3 guys that I used to play with. Two are no longer with us and the other one can't play for medical reasons. I keep that in mind when I get frustrated with my game.
I just wish that I started to play when I was younger. It's one of the only things that you can play for a lifetime.
I have noticed that there seems to be more younger people playing, and more women, although I hate to play behind a group of older woman.
I did check out tickets for the Open. Not many left and the price is pretty hefty.
Managed it twice. First time may have been my happiest moment. And wouldn't you know, I immediately went and.
did it again on the back nine.

Last edited:
just had a good session at the range. I've struggled with irons forever, just never "Getting it". watched some different vids and found one that seemed to "work for me"
I have some friends with the oddest looking swings, but it works for them. so I've just decided I find something that "works for me" so I have a decent chance of hitting a straight shot with the loft and distance you'd expect from the club in use.
I could also write this as... "I have to stop mixing in different things I've seen and pick one to make work. watching too many golf tip vids becomes a mish mash :) "

just had a good session at the range. I've struggled with irons forever, just never "Getting it". watched some different vids and found one that seemed to "work for me"
I have some friends with the oddest looking swings, but it works for them. so I've just decided I find something that "works for me" so I have a decent chance of hitting a straight shot with the loft and distance you'd expect from the club in use.
I could also write this as... "I have to stop mixing in different things I've seen and pick one to make work. watching too many golf tip vids becomes a mish mash :) "
Great advice. Agree 100%.

Find what swing works for you. Something you can repeat. Get good at that.

I have played quite a bit of tournament golf for 20+ years at our club. I can't tell you how many awful swings walk around that place sporting 2-7 handicaps. They make putts and those awful swings don't breakdown. They just produce the same result every time. Repeatable = wins.

Last edited:
Over the years I've found that in almost every round of golf there is something that happens that I've never seen before.

Recently, I was playing a 2 on 2 match and one of the guys on the other team tried to shake me up by trying to make me watch video clips on his phone of his ex-wife giving him
a blowjob. I actually performed the wedding ceremony for them, too, and the whole thing was just wrong. I wasn't trying to see that stuff and I thought it was a sleazy trick.

Last year, I played a round with my brother Jim and he hit a laser straight into the woods on the left side of the fairway which hit a tree and caromed into the woods
on the right side. Lost ball. Never saw that.

Playing up in Alaska I had to hold my shot to the green because a Bald Eagle had camped out on the green. It wouldn't move, so I said "fuck it, I'll never hit the thing." and took
my shot. I think it's a federal crime to shoot at an Eagle even thought they are so common in Alaska they are like pigeons in an MBTA station.

What do you got?

What improbable shit have you seen on the course?

Over the years I've found that in almost every round of golf there is something that happens that I've never seen before.

Playing up in Alaska I had to hold my shot to the green because a Bald Eagle had camped out on the green. It wouldn't move, so I said "fuck it, I'll never hit the thing." and took
my shot. I think it's a federal crime to shoot at an Eagle even thought they are so common in Alaska they are like pigeons in an MBTA station.

What do you got?

speaking of birdies

I played in a drinking league between holes while actually golfing that had me witness a guy in my foursome wormburn an iron on a par 3 about 8" off the ground killing a bird standing at the end of the tee box about 5 yds away

my memory is cloudy but I think it actually skipped one time before doing in the poor thing

pretty creative shot considering the fact the drinking had nothing to do w/ how badly the guy could actually play :D

Recently, I was playing a 2 on 2 match and one of the guys on the other team tried to shake me up by trying to make me watch video clips on his phone of his ex-wife giving him
a blowjob. I actually performed the wedding ceremony for them, too, and the whole thing was just wrong. I wasn't trying to see that stuff and I thought it was a sleazy trick.

Last year, I played a round with my brother Jim and he hit a laser straight into the woods on the left side of the fairway which hit a tree and caromed into the woods
on the right side. Lost ball. Never saw that.

What do you got?

Crazy shit does happen on golf courses...

20+ years ago in Myrtle Beach for a guys golf week a buddy of mine from Lexington Kentucky was having a particularly bad day. Somewhere along the back nine after a topped tee shot bounded into the small lake in front of the tee he threw his driver into the water. I guess that's not all that unusual but what he did after the round was. Noticing a company was on premises diving for golf balls he paid the diver $50 to go into the pond and retrieve his driver. He found it. I have video tape of it. We were crying.

Last edited:
Back