The Golf thread

I may try it. They have one at a club close to to me. I'd like to try one that has the Island green, like the one at the Players course. Just to see how many shots it would take me to get it on the green.

One of the funnest things about simulator golf is that you can "play" courses that you've only dreamed about getting on or traveling to. Turns out that they scan
the actual courses using LIDAR to get really accurate terrain and dimensions and they augment the images. For instance, while Augusta was really tough to
handle, it was really weird to try to hit out of the woods while getting distracted by the lifelike bark on the trees. There were also azaleas in bloom, etc., etc. Somebody
put a ton of work into creating the digital version and I've barely scratched the surface.

Speaking of island greens, there is a beautiful new course in Branson, MO. called Payne's Valley which offers a 19th hole which is an island green. There was some
made-for-TV event played there a few years back and I remembered that hole, so looked it up. Champions lists Payne Valley and that 19th hole separately, so
I'm going to see if I can finish our round on that hole on Thursday. I don't see why they wouldn't if they have a minute. It's pretty damn spectacular. The
employees I've run into so far seem accommodating and enthusiastic about what they do and want players to have a good time.

Thanks for making me think of it. I'll report back to see how it goes. As you can see, it's like a golf fantasy hole, but, in a sense, you get to live it.

Paynes-Valley-19th-hole.jpg

One of the funnest things about simulator golf is that you can "play" courses that you've only dreamed about getting on or traveling to. Turns out that they scan
the actual courses using LIDAR to get really accurate terrain and dimensions and they augment the images. For instance, while Augusta was really tough to
handle, it was really weird to try to hit out of the woods while getting distracted by the lifelike bark on the trees. There were also azaleas in bloom, etc., etc. Somebody
put a ton of work into creating the digital version and I've barely scratched the surface.

Speaking of island greens, there is a beautiful new course in Branson, MO. called Payne's Valley which offers a 19th hole which is an island green. There was some
made-for-TV event played there a few years back and I remembered that hole, so looked it up. Champions lists Payne Valley and that 19th hole separately, so
I'm going to see if I can finish our round on that hole on Thursday. I don't see why they wouldn't if they have a minute. It's pretty damn spectacular. The
employees I've run into so far seem accommodating and enthusiastic about what they do and want players to have a good time.

Thanks for making me think of it. I'll report back to see how it goes. As you can see, it's like a golf fantasy hole, but, in a sense, you get to live it.

View attachment 25491
OMG, what a beautiful hole. I could spend 2 hrs trying to get on that green and not consider it wasted time.

So, you own the solution. Have a driver built to match the 3h as closely as possible.

Or just figure out why he can't hit the driver.

Choke up a little. Open your stance. Play the ball off your front heel or move it until it feels right. Adjust your
swing speed or shorten the backswing.

I always advocate for figuring it out over spending a couple of hundred in hopes that will work. Usually, it's
something pretty minor.

Or just figure out why he can't hit the driver.

Choke up a little. Open your stance. Play the ball off your front heel or move it until it feels right. Adjust your
swing speed or shorten the backswing.

I always advocate for figuring it out over spending a couple of hundred in hopes that will work. Usually, it's
something pretty minor.
Of course. I don't have time to practice much anymore or the inclination TBH. If I hit my 3h 250+ and in the fairway I would scour the used club market for it's driver big brother (head/loft/weight/shaft) and failing that I would ask a local pro to make one.

Of course. I don't have time to practice much anymore or the inclination TBH. If I hit my 3h 250+ and in the fairway I would scour the used club market for it's driver big brother (head/loft/weight/shaft) and failing that I would ask a local pro to make one.
If I could find any club that I could hit 250 consistently then I would just use that club and throw the rest away. :ROFLMAO:

One of the good things about the weather over here, is it rarely gets too cold to play Golf. It rarely snows so the courses are open through the winter and people p[lay as they do in the summer. Around me there are a lot of public golf courses, and I see young boys walking to the courses with their clubs all the time through winter. If you get the chance to come to Ireland in the winter, do, you'll get some great golf in. The winter light is obviously less than the summer, and the sun sets at 4pm at peak winter, but get out early, and you'll play. Typical winter light below.

best-time-of-year-ireland-golf-trip-1024x768.jpg

Royal Port.jpg

Royal Portrush Winter Special.jpeg

One of the good things about the weather over here, is it rarely gets too cold to play Golf. It rarely snows so the courses are open through the winter and people p[lay as they do in the summer. Around me there are a lot of public golf courses, and I see young boys walking to the courses with their clubs all the time through winter. If you get the chance to come to Ireland in the winter, do, you'll get some great golf in. The winter light is obviously less than the summer, and the sun sets at 4pm at peak winter, but get out early, and you'll play. Typical winter light below.

View attachment 25494

View attachment 25495

View attachment 25496
Ireland is going to be our next trip overseas. I really want to play golf while we're over there but I'm really intimidated. I'm just not good and I'm afraid that someone of my skill level would be really looked down upon there.

Ireland is going to be our next trip overseas. I really want to play golf while we're over there but I'm really intimidated. I'm just not good and I'm afraid that someone of my skill level would be really looked down upon there.
Not at all! It's a game for all abilities and no golfers here would ever look down at someone having a poor day because all golfers have been there. Don't worry about that; no judgments here.

Reactions: Alk
I have been looked down upon all my life. Don't let that get in the way doing something that you really want to do.

Reactions: Alk

The only way that would happen is if you wanted to ride instead of walk and do not have a disability. Not that I played a ton of golf over there, but
it seemed to be a general expectation if not exactly a written rule. They view golf as exercise more than we do and that's a good thing, imo.

If you can walk and are willing to to pick the ball up if experiencing a rough hole in the interests of pace of play then I doubt
anybody would worry about skill level. Of course, you might run into a jerk anywhere you go, but the ratio is somewhat less over there than
it is over here, imo. Come to think of it, that is true of practically everywhere I've been. We have a high percentage of rude idiots, I guess,
golf or no golf.

There was one bizarre episode I got involved in over there, though. A friend and I were invited to play with a member at
a private course near Waterford called Faithlegg. The wives dropped us off and I changed into spikes, leaving my regular
shoes in the van and off they went. We made it through 6 holes before the rain just got ridiculous and we had to quit and
were marooned for quite a while.

So, there I was killing time. An outsider in a members lounge drinking tea, since the bar wasn't open, in my soggy socks and one snooty jackass
decided to critique my lack of social graces in daring to go shoeless in his domain. He got a little huffy about it. I don't remember what I said to tactfully
let him know I didn't give a fuck about his opinion or flared nostrils, but I knew trying to explain where my shoes were wasn't going to help my situation.

Lesson learned. Never lose track of your shoes when traveling.

Skill level matters little almost anywhere. Pace of play and golf etiquette are far ore important to better players. A slow 5 handicap is far more likely to get the evil eye or worse than a poor ball striker that keeps pace, tends flags, rakes traps, lifts their feet on greens and knows when to be silent is much preferred.

I think I've posted this pic before, but am doing it again. The resolution isn't great, but I like this photo a lot.
Pictured is my friend Ed at Dooks Golf Club in Kerry, Ireland.

It's hard to describe what a great day it was, but the sun looked more of less like that the whole time finding various holes in the clouds to
put a unusual spotlight on our lack of talent. One of my favorite days of golf ever because of the natural beauty of the place and the fact that we
were almost alone on the course. The 12 year-old Jameson I brought along didn't hurt, either.

user36_pic67_1204587126.jpg

I think I've posted this pic before, but am doing it again. The resolution isn't great, but I like this photo a lot.
Pictured is my friend Ed at Dooks Golf Club in Kerry, Ireland.

It's hard to describe what a great day it was, but the sun looked more of less like that the whole time finding various holes in the clouds to
put a unusual spotlight on our lack of talent. One of my favorite days of golf ever because of the natural beauty of the place and the fact that we
were almost alone on the course. The 12 year-old Jameson I brought along didn't hurt, either.

View attachment 25546
I am so freakin' jealous!

Seriously.

I am so freakin' jealous!

Seriously.

Thanks. I don't want to make you TOO much more jealous, but I was also lucky enough to spend a week in a nice house about a half-mile
from the Waterville golf course which came with free golf. Every morning Ed and I would walk there before sun up and they'd let us tee off
at first light so we had the rest of the day to play tourist with our wives. Waterville was even better than Dooks. This was taken at the end
of the first round when the sun came out bright and it could hardly have looked more beautiful.

I loved playing golf over there. Everything, really. If you ever want to wet your whistle for a trip over then I highly recommend the book "A Course
Called Ireland" by Tom Coyne.

waterville (2).jpg

Thanks. I don't want to make you TOO much more jealous, but I was also lucky enough to spend a week in a nice house about a half-mile
from the Waterville golf course which came with free golf. Every morning Ed and I would walk there before sun up and they'd let us tee off
at first light so we had the rest of the day to play tourist with our wives. Waterville was even better than Dooks. This was taken at the end
of the first round when the sun came out bright and it could hardly have looked more beautiful.

I loved playing golf over there. Everything, really. If you ever want to wet your whistle for a trip over then I highly recommend the book "A Course
Called Ireland" by Tom Coyne.

View attachment 25550
The wife and I honeymooned in Ireland June1995. I was only able to play twice over the 2 weeks we meandered without a plan from B&B to B&B. 9 holes in Kilkenny and 18 in Galway. Unreal.IMG_1901 2.JPG

So I was watching some of The Match last night. Rory, Max Homa, Rose Z, and Lexi Thompson were playing 12 holes for charity under the lights.
They said that Lexi had 12 career hole-in-one's. That is incredible as she is only 29.
I'm still looking for #1.

So I was watching some of The Match last night. Rory, Max Homa, Rose Z, and Lexi Thompson were playing 12 holes for charity under the lights.
They said that Lexi had 12 career hole-in-one's. That is incredible as she is only 29.
I'm still looking for #1.

Me too. I have watched some BAD golfers make holes in one. It's fun but jeesh! Again? You?

LOL.

since the mens Mexico open was a bunch of "who dat's" I watched some of the LPGA Honda Open from Thailand. Patty Tanavanakit held on to win after almost blowing a big lead. was tied going to last hole (the other golfer was already in clubhouse) so Patty had to at least par to force a playoff or birdie to in, and her third shot was perfect about foot or two from the hole.

Back