The Golf thread

This is big, really big.
Today is the start of the Genisis Invitational in LA. This event is a Tiger Woods endorsed event. It is the same event that he was driving to when he had that awful accident in which almost lost a leg.
This year Tiger is playing. :dance: Coverage starts at 4 today on the Golf Channel.
Fell asleep EARLY last night. I record all PGA events on YTTV. Woke up at 4:45am and had to get up. Watched yesterday's telecast this morning. Course looks gorgeous! TW was +1 I believe.

Don’t know for sure but Tiger said he had back issues ie spasms…

~Dee~

Jordan Spieth was disqualified for signing an incorrect score card. He didn't whine about it and blame the refs, like some football players. He just said rules are rules and he knew the rules, he just screwed up.

Jordan Spieth was disqualified for signing an incorrect score card. He didn't whine about it and blame the refs, like some football players. He just said rules are rules and he knew the rules, he just screwed up.

That sucks. He is my favorite player.

Matsuyama seemed to come out of nowhere to win convincing fashion. At one time there 5 tied for the lead. No big tourneys next week.

It was reported that it was illness and not an injury.
He did look sick trying an uphill putt from off the green. Never seen him try something so dumb.
The first day he had a back spasm then he was hit by the flu…

~Dee~

One tough thing about being a golf addict is that if you live in a cold climate, as many of us do, you have a long winter
to forget everything you were doing the last time you played and have to, more or less, relearn the game every Spring.

However, a brand new indoor virtual golf place opened a short distance from my house. This chain is called "Champions Indoor Golf" and
they promised state-of-the-art graphics and shot tracking, a huge choice of famous courses to play and a much-improved putting
system from the earlier simulators. They also have a bar with a decent draft beer selection and clean restrooms.

I've gone 3 times so far and really like it. There is little to no lag time so the shot you hit into the screen is then displayed on the screen just like you
would expect, other than it traces the shot. There is also a screen which displays technical data like launch angle, club and ball speed. It
also captures a close-up video of your club face contacting the ball which you can review. Bottom line is that I get very similar results
to what I get on a real course other than you can tweak enviornmental factors like wind and rough etc., to make it easier or harder. You can
also make "gimme" putts as long as you wish, since that is still a weaker aspect than the full shots are, but not too bad.

So far I've played Bandon Dunes, Augusta National and a course in Nova Scotia called Cabot Cliffs. Bandon was the most fun with the other
two being more challenging. The graphics are quite nicely rendered and picturesque (so far) but what seem to be accurate physics make this a fairly realistic
and satisfying experience. If you cut across the ball and it feels like a slice then you'll see a slice on screen and so forth. The price is 60 bucks an hour to rent
a bay regardless of if you are single or have a foursome, so it's not cheap, but I have completed 18 holes in an hour playing solo and thought it was a decent
way to treat myself once in a while. I might ask for gift cards for Birthdays or Christmas.

If you haven't tried this sort of thing before then you might want to give it a shot. I'm hopeful that I'm less rusty come April. I'll
be playing Thursday with my brother at a different Champions location while the wives do lunch. The video isn't great but it will give
you the general idea. Check it out if interested.

View: https://youtu.be/auRjbhnxq1s?si=KSy4CEffvO3p-A6y

One tough thing about being a golf addict is that if you live in a cold climate, as many of us do, you have a long winter
to forget everything you were doing the last time you played and have to, more or less, relearn the game every Spring.

However, a brand new indoor virtual golf place opened a short distance from my house. This chain is called "Champions Indoor Golf" and
they promised state-of-the-art graphics and shot tracking, a huge choice of famous courses to play and a much-improved putting
system from the earlier simulators. They also have a bar with a decent draft beer selection and clean restrooms.

I've gone 3 times so far and really like it. There is little to no lag time so the shot you hit into the screen is then displayed on the screen just like you
would expect, other than it traces the shot. There is also a screen which displays technical data like launch angle, club and ball speed. It
also captures a close-up video of your club face contacting the ball which you can review. Bottom line is that I get very similar results
to what I get on a real course other than you can tweak enviornmental factors like wind and rough etc., to make it easier or harder. You can
also make "gimme" putts as long as you wish, since that is still a weaker aspect than the full shots are, but not too bad.

So far I've played Bandon Dunes, Augusta National and a course in Nova Scotia called Cabot Cliffs. Bandon was the most fun with the other
two being more challenging. The graphics are quite nicely rendered and picturesque (so far) but what seem to be accurate physics make this a fairly realistic
and satisfying experience. If you cut across the ball and it feels like a slice then you'll see a slice on screen and so forth. The price is 60 bucks an hour to rent
a bay regardless of if you are single or have a foursome, so it's not cheap, but I have completed 18 holes in an hour playing solo and thought it was a decent
way to treat myself once in a while. I might ask for gift cards for Birthdays or Christmas.

If you haven't tried this sort of thing before then you might want to give it a shot. I'm hopeful that I'm less rusty come April. I'll
be playing Thursday with my brother at a different Champions location while the wives do lunch. The video isn't great but it will give

Couple of questions:
How long does it take to play a round?
Do you use your own clubs or clubs that they provide?
What do they charge per round?
In watching the vid when the guy was putting, it looked like he putted to the screen. How do you read the putt, and get the proper line?

Ok, that was more than a couple but I was never good at math.

I'm glad you like it. I tried it once when a local place opened up and it just wasn't for me. I felt like it was more of an interactive video game than just golf (which I guess it basically is). I'm fine with just waiting until the weather gets nice enough. I'm on such a low level that I don't notice much difference in my game from the start of the season until the end of the season. I just had a friend hit me up to play in a scramble in March. I had to decline. I'm going to need it to be much nicer before I go out there.

Couple of questions:
How long does it take to play a round?
Do you use your own clubs or clubs that they provide?
What do they charge per round?
In watching the vid when the guy was putting, it looked like he putted to the screen. How do you read the putt, and get the proper line?

Ok, that was more than a couple but I was never good at math.

It's possible to play 18 in an hour, as I did once, but that was solo and I was sort of on fire that day and didn't have a lot of bad
shots to slow myself down. I've played with three players once and we got through about 13 holes in two hours and quit there. A lot
of time is taken up just switching off at the tee and while easy enough to manage that there is naturally more down time the more
participants. It can be set for, say, double bogey max or whatever so you don't spend a ton of time on one bad hole. You bring your
own clubs but use their golf balls. You pay for per the hour of rental for the bay and not per round, but I
don't really know if they do partial hours, say, if you wanted to finish a complete round and needed another partial hour. They have
driving range simulators to warm up and when ready you have them start the round at whatever course you choose from their (massive) list,
but that counts towards your total time.

The putting is a bit hard to describe, but I believe it is 10 feet to the screen from the tee area and whatever is left on the putt is what you see on the screen which
has contour lines in a grid with tracers indicating the break. It's easier to do than it is to explain, but I believe many players just call inside 10 feet as a
gimme to make it a bit simpler. My last round I had them set it to 8 feet and just missed that gimme circle (which is displayed around the cup) about 4 times. Tee to green is closer to real
golf, but this putting method is fairly intuitive and way better than some of the earlier simulators I'd messed around with. I hope I explained that
clearly, but I'm still new to all of it.

The line of the putt is straight at the cup that you see on screen but you have to adjust your line based on the contour lines. Putting at Augusta gave me fits and was a little
frustrating, but that was due to severe breaks and elevation changes, which takes some getting used to. More normal layouts are similar to real world
conditions, but it might be a while before I choose a killer course like that again after 5 putting a couple of holes.

Everything is adjustable before you start. Wind, weather, rough, sand, etc. You can start at an easy setting if you want which is like training wheels until
you decide you want to really suffer. No extra charge for that.

It's possible to play 18 in an hour, as I did once, but that was solo and I was sort of on fire that day and didn't have a lot of bad
shots to slow myself down. I've played with three players once and we got through about 13 holes in two hours and quit there. A lot
of time is taken up just switching off at the tee and while easy enough to manage that there is naturally more down time the more
participants. It can be set for, say, double bogey max or whatever so you don't spend a ton of time on one bad hole. You bring your
own clubs but use their golf balls. You pay for per the hour of rental for the bay and not per round, but I
don't really know if they do partial hours, say, if you wanted to finish a complete round and needed another partial hour. They have
driving range simulators to warm up and when ready you have them start the round at whatever course you choose from their (massive) list,

The putting is a bit hard to describe, but I believe it is 10 feet to the screen from the tee area and whatever is left on the putt is what you see on the screen which
has contour lines in a grid with tracers indicating the break. It's easier to do than it is to explain, but I believe many players just call inside 10 feet as a
gimme to make it a bit simpler. My last round I had them set it to 8 feet and just missed that gimme circle (which is displayed around the cup) about 4 times. Tee to green is closer to real
golf, but this putting method is fairly intuitive and way better than some of the earlier simulators I'd messed around with. I hope I explained that

The line of the putt is straight at the cup that you see on screen but you have to adjust your line based on the contour lines. Putting at Augusta gave me fits and was a little
frustrating, but that was due to severe breaks and elevation changes, which takes some getting used to. More normal layouts are similar to real world
conditions, but it might be a while before I choose a killer course like that again after 5 putting a couple of holes.

Everything is adjustable before you start. Wind, weather, rough, sand, etc. You can start at an easy setting if you want which is like training wheels until
For a guy like me who's recovering from severe back injury this seems like a way to ease back in to it. I have not touched a club in 5 years which seems like a lifetime. The doc tells me go play but my problem is I know myself well enough and I'd be up there trying to hit it 300 like I was 35 again, and I ain't 35 any more. And that would lead to further injury LOL.

For a guy like me who's recovering from severe back injury this seems like a way to ease back in to it. I have not touched a club in 5 years which seems like a lifetime. The doc tells me go play but my problem is I know myself well enough and I'd be up there trying to hit it 300 like I was 35 again, and I ain't 35 any more. And that would lead to further injury LOL.
Maybe you could try going out with just irons.
But I hear you. No matter how many times my head tells me to not over swing, I find myself trying to crush it. It hardly ever works.

Maybe you could try going out with just irons.
But I hear you. No matter how many times my head tells me to not over swing, I find myself trying to crush it. It hardly ever works.
Oddly, I absolutely crush my 3 hybrid straight and 250. My driver is much harder to control.

I may try it. They have one at a club close to to me. I'd like to try one that has the Island green, like the one at the Players course. Just to see how many shots it would take me to get it on the green.

Back