The Official Real Life Happens PP Member Support Thread

Guys, here's a story and a warning. In the early hours of Sunday morning, I had a heart attack. I'm 52 and 6 foot and 183 pounds, so I'm not overweight, and my diet is OK, and I don't smoke, and for an Irishman, I don't drink a lot. I am on no meds. The only thing I have is mild asthma. Only operation I ever had before was getting my appendix out when I was 9.

I had, for the week preceding this, what I thought was a bad case of indigestion. I tend to get indigestion with acid reflux, so I assumed that's what it was. Even though the discomfort sometimes seemed to radiate to my shoulders and even neck, I ignored it stupidly.

On Sunday morning around 2:30am I woke with discomfort; felt like someone had punched me in the back, and I thought if I got up, it would pass. I drove myself in the morning at 10:30 to the ER! I told my wife it was nothing and they'd give me something for bad indigestion or an ulcer etc. I only went there as it was Sunday, and my GP was obviously not available on Sundays.

Within minutes after the ECG, the Doc came in and said eh, you've had a heart attack, and we need to get this fixed today without delay. That was not what I was expecting! I was rushed by ambulance to another hospital, where a team were waiting for me, straight into the Lab, and an angiogram was done to blow up the blocked artery and put a stent in. This was done while I was wide awake, just local anaesthetic on the wrist where the catheter was put in. It's incredible what these guys can do now. Then, another ambulance to another hospital in my area of Dublin, which is the system for heart attack sufferers. I have another block, which I will get sorted tomorrow by angiogram, and then I should be home on Thursday.

Because I stupidly waited, a small part of my heart died, but it's not going to affect my heart too much, thank god. I will be on meds for the rest of my life: blood thinners, statins etc.

So men, never dismiss what you think is indigestion if it persists and isn't sorted with antacids, Pepto etc. My thing felt like a burning ball in the middle of my chest, which sometimes radiated to my shoulders and neck.

A heart attack can be very different to the movies with the dramatic clutching of the chest and collapsing. Mine was not painful enough to stop me from doing everyday things.

I have been very lucky; if I continued to ignore this, the damage would have been irreversible, with likely cardiac arrest.
I haven’t been here much lately so this is the first time reading of this. Thank God you got in when you did!

I hope things continue to go in the right direction, and that this cruise merely a warning so as to prevent a future more serious event.

Last edited:
Today has flat out sucked.

Some of you know but others may not but I have chronic kidney disease. Right now it is in the high end of 3b (40% gfr). Adding on top of that I only have one kidney since birth. It has been steady but one condition of ckd is fatigue and today it was hitting hard. I woke up at 9:30am (technically 7a, but went back to sleep at 8:15am after getting my oldest to school). I just stayed in bed and binge watched Chicago fire until about noon. I’m trying to get caught up to whatever season I got into it when I was running commercials for work with it before the new season starts in a month. I think I have to get to season 8 or 9. I just started season 3. Anyway, no energy and no appetite really all day until about 5pm. I at least got laundry done today.

I was hoping a sleep study would show sleep apnea so maybe cpap might help my energy level but it was negative for it.

Probably doesn’t help that one of the side affects of a new medication for ckd is fatigue also.

I had no motivation to do much today and I hate it. I also am probably a bit dehydrated because I barely drank anything prior to 5pm.

Some of you know but others may not but I have chronic kidney disease. Right now it is in the high end of 3b (40% gfr). Adding on top of that I only have one kidney since birth. It has been steady but one condition of ckd is fatigue and today it was hitting hard. I woke up at 9:30am (technically 7a, but went back to sleep at 8:15am after getting my oldest to school). I just stayed in bed and binge watched Chicago fire until about noon. I’m trying to get caught up to whatever season I got into it when I was running commercials for work with it before the new season starts in a month. I think I have to get to season 8 or 9. I just started season 3. Anyway, no energy and no appetite really all day until about 5pm. I at least got laundry done today.

I was hoping a sleep study would show sleep apnea so maybe cpap might help my energy level but it was negative for it.

Probably doesn’t help that one of the side affects of a new medication for ckd is fatigue also.

I had no motivation to do much today and I hate it. I also am probably a bit dehydrated because I barely drank anything prior to 5pm.
Yuk.

I have no experience with what you're dealing with other than what the chemotherapy has done to my kidneys. Hopefully that's been temporary. With regards to hydration… You have to stay hydrated. I know you know this better than me but I'm gonna say it anyway. Drink your water. As my kidney function has waxed and waned over the last six months, I found the best thing for me was to keep the bottle of water in my hand.

Sorry to hear that …. Hopefully things will work themselves out or at least improve.

~Dee~

Yuk.

I have no experience with what you're dealing with other than what the chemotherapy has done to my kidneys. Hopefully that's been temporary. With regards to hydration… You have to stay hydrated. I know you know this better than me but I'm gonna say it anyway. Drink your water. As my kidney function has waxed and waned over the last six months, I found the best thing for me was to keep the bottle of water in my hand.
I’m normally good about drinking water, I drink 80 or more ounces a day especially when I work. Yesterday was just an off day and I didn’t drink a lot. On top of that I’m on a water pill and a medicine that says dehydration is a side affect.

I’m normally good about drinking water, I drink 80 or more ounces a day especially when I work. Yesterday was just an off day and I didn’t drink a lot. On top of that I’m on a water pill and a medicine that says dehydration is a side affect.

I get it. I was on Lasix for a couple of months. Drink-pee, drink-pee, drink-pee. Wore out a path between my office and the bathroom. I wore out the flushing mechanism in the master toilet. Had to replace the toilet. LOL.

Now try that with a 3 year old JK take care for real you guys (((((hugs)))))

~Dee~

I try that with a four and seven year old. I at least got them both into legos. I buy sets for me, which turns into theirs. I get it so I can sit at the table and let them help me build them. That way I don’t have to get on the floor. I think I have one complete set left still put together.

My apologies to all for giving news of this type so close to Christmas.
My Doctors have told me I have reached the end stage of my mutable issues
Kidneys have shut down, liver is failing. Heart is down to only 10% My Family has gathered and I am at peace with all of this. I had thought the CTE would get me first thankfully that does not seem to be the case. I have loved being on the planet with at least 99% of you. I don't know if this will be my last post But I ask that you all be blessed by what ever you pray to. If this is my last my son will let you all know when I have passed. Thank you all for the many years of enjoyment.

Kidneys have shut down, liver is failing. Heart is down to only 10% My Family has gathered and I am at peace with all of this. I had thought the CTE would get me first thankfully that does not seem to be the case. I have loved being on the planet with at least 99% of you. I don't know if this will be my last post But I ask that you all be blessed by what ever you pray to. If this is my last my son will let you all know when I have passed. Thank you all for the many years of enjoyment.
I really can't find the words. I just hope that "better place" does exist for you.

My goodness. I am so sorry to hear this. You will never leave this universe, your atoms will spread and mix in with everything else so a part of you will always be here, with the rest of us. I wish you all the best on your journey, you clearly lived a great life. And peace to you and your family.

I'm very sorry to read to this happening to a fellow Vermonter. I wish I knew what to say but I don't. My best to you and your family.

I have no words. I’m very sorry to hear this. You are in my thoughts and you will always be remembered here on this planet, Godspeed …..

~Dee~

I have no words as well. It sounds like you are at peace. I wish that on your family. I have enjoyed our conversations. Thank you for sharing your presence with us here on PP.

Blessings to you and the family.

💕💕💕

#LiveTheLifeYouveDreamed

Last edited:

Godspeed. May your family find peace in all the memories that have accumulated through the years.
You have been a valued member of this little corner of the internet and you will be missed.

I’m truly, truly just… crushed, PL. May you and your family be ever blessed, and that you find peace and joy both here and wherever we end up next. You have been a long respected member here, and I truly will miss you. There’s so much more that we could all write…
Tu et familia tua pacem inveniatis cum vestris et
illo deo quocum gaudium habeatis.

Back