The Official Real Life Happens PP Member Support Thread

I know someone posted about this a little while ago, but I don't know where, so I'm going to post it here.

Doug Kyed, who is an NFL reporter for the Boston Herald, lost his 2 year old daughter Hallie to cancer on Sunday. She reportedly passed peacefully while her mom and dad held her hand. Absolutely crushing to read about this.

OK, I've seriously got to look into that shoulder reduction surgery, cause it's pretty clear someone thinks mine are way to frackin big.

My mom will be 99 on the 28th. She's got congenital heart failure, which means not enough O2 is getting to her brain. So, her cognitive functions have degraded significantly over the past 18 months, to the point where in December, we had to get her into an assisted living facility.

So I got a call last week from the EMT people who had responded to a call at the facility. She had been found sitting on the floor, in front of her couch, and was "confused".

They took her to the ER, and due to work commitments, I couldn't get there till the afternoon.

Her O2 blood level was ~60%, which is way fricken low. To give the short version, they didn't want to discharge her until the O2 level was better and/or that she would have 24/7 attendance at the facility.

Turns out, that takes some time to set up.

Then the DRs wanted to do an X-ray with contrast, because they saw fluid in her lungs in one of the scans and were worried about an embolism.

Well the dye puts a lot of stress on one's kidneys, and she's also got some renal failure due to her age.

More importantly, the treatment for the embolism is a blood thinner, to remove the clot, and due to her age, she's prone to skin tears. Basically, the fatty tissue under the skin just isn't there any more, so she can easily get "wounds".

So I told not only no, but Fuck No.

Then it got even better. She tested positive for COVID.

The good news is her O2 improved, and she was discharged, but we're clearly in the end game.

I'm the only sibling who's local, so I've got the lion's share of dealing with this.

Of course, I've got my hands full dealing with my wife's Parkinson's. She got down to 95 pounds, since her hands freeze bring the fork to her mouth, and so she doesn't eat as much as she should.

So, I bought a sports bottle, that I put Carnation Instant Breakfast, alternated with protein powder, along with a protein bar every morning.

She's put some weight back on, but we're not yet back to her target weight.

Then for the pièce de résistance, last Friday, I was taking my wife to our eye doctor for our annual appointment.

My dog, Caesar, bolted out the door as I was helping my wife outside.

He does this occasionally, but typically just does is sniff and smell bit in the neighborhood, and comes when called.

He didn't respond this time, and I followed his tracks to a neighbors yard where I saw him in a full Grand Mal seizure.

I was able to get him back to the house, and by then he seemed to have recovered, so we went to the eye doctor's appointment.

When we got back, it was apparent that he'd had another seizure, since some furniture had been knocked over, and he'd pooped on the rug.

He had two more that night.

He had the normal post seizure side effects over the weekend, and progressively got better. He seems to be OK now, and my best guess/hope is that my wife inadvertently dropped part of one of her chocolate protein bars and he ate it.

Who am I kidding. That would be too easy.

I won't even go into how much my job is a Mongolian Cluster Fuck right now.

Just needed to vent.

Thank you for your patience.

We now return you to your normally scheduled programming.
Damn, that's a helluva load to bear O_P_T but I'm betting that if there was anyone that could handle all those issues it's you.

I'm not crying, don't want sympathy. Did 4 tours of Vietnam between 1968 and 1972. In 1994 I was one of the 7800 vets to be tested for Agent Orange. Samples of my kidneys and liver had Dioxin. The only thing that this chemical was ever allowed to be used was a "defoliant" to create the DMZ between North and South Vietnam. It was called agent orange because the barrels it was shipped in had a designation of an orange band around the top of the barrel. We sprayed 19,000,000 gallons of it over a one mile wide strip across the entire border.

I was immediately given 40% disability. Of course, the U.S. Senate had settled a lawsuit in 1992 with a couple of guys that were severely affected and passed a law that no one else could sue because the case was settled. But they wanted to know if the stuff was as bad as was found. In 1996 I suddenly became diabetic. In 2000 I started losing all nerve sensation in my lower legs. In 2005 the arteries around my heart gave and I had to have 5 bypasses. In 2006, my thyroid gave out. In 2009, I lost the nerve sensation in my gut and could never tell and still can't, that I have to take a poop until it's knocking at the door. My VA record lists my disabilities in a medical record where altogether it totals 173%. But because every new problem is a percentage of the original 40%, I'm officially 90% being paid at 100% because I'm UNEMPLOYABLE at 74 years old. Suddenly in November 2023 my kidneys started to fail. My GFR had fallen from 93 to 49. Just had bloodwork and it's fallen to 45. They'll be gone by 2026.

I don't regret a thing and would do it all again. Including marrying my wife of 50 years in November.

Feel sorry for my kids and their kids. Dioxin affects the DNA and now they're in their 40'sand guess what? Studies are showing Agent Orange will affect them more as they get older. The only saving grace is that medical research is helping and the UI.S. Gov't is considering giving the free medical care for life.

I'm not crying, don't want sympathy. Did 4 tours of Vietnam between 1968 and 1972. In 1994 I was one of the 7800 vets to be tested for Agent Orange. Samples of my kidneys and liver had Dioxin. The only thing that this chemical was ever allowed to be used was a "defoliant" to create the DMZ between North and South Vietnam. It was called agent orange because the barrels it was shipped in had a designation of an orange band around the top of the barrel. We sprayed 19,000,000 gallons of it over a one mile wide strip across the entire border.

I was immediately given 40% disability. Of course, the U.S. Senate had settled a lawsuit in 1992 with a couple of guys that were severely affected and passed a law that no one else could sue because the case was settled. But they wanted to know if the stuff was as bad as was found. In 1996 I suddenly became diabetic. In 2000 I started losing all nerve sensation in my lower legs. In 2005 the arteries around my heart gave and I had to have 5 bypasses. In 2006, my thyroid gave out. In 2009, I lost the nerve sensation in my gut and could never tell and still can't, that I have to take a poop until it's knocking at the door. My VA record lists my disabilities in a medical record where altogether it totals 173%. But because every new problem is a percentage of the original 40%, I'm officially 90% being paid at 100% because I'm UNEMPLOYABLE at 74 years old. Suddenly in November 2023 my kidneys started to fail. My GFR had fallen from 93 to 49. Just had bloodwork and it's fallen to 45. They'll be gone by 2026.

I don't regret a thing and would do it all again. Including marrying my wife of 50 years in November.

Feel sorry for my kids and their kids. Dioxin affects the DNA and now they're in their 40'sand guess what? Studies are showing Agent Orange will affect them more as they get older. The only saving grace is that medical research is helping and the UI.S. Gov't is considering giving the free medical care for life.
Thank you for your service.

My father in law was in Nam 3x, the first he was drafted, the second and third he volunteer and probably would have gone a fourth time if he was able to. We see the illnesses in him that can't be dx or explained due to agent orange that surrounded him.

You don't want sympathy, okay. I will pray for your family who are going through and continue to go through what my husband and son might go through due to my father in law going into service and felt in his heart it was what he needed to do. I thank him for his service.

Thank you for sharing.

M.

You sound similar to my dad, sans the proud of going and the “would do it again” stuff.

He’s been 100% for 5 years.

You all deserve 100%. Just having to jump through all of the BS hoops to get it proves how much that they don’t give a fuck about you. It’s wrong.

Last edited:

I sincerely want to thank you for your service. I love my country with all my heart, but I am beyond embarrassed at how those who took the biggest risks in protecting our freedoms are treated once they are back stateside. I'll stop there as I don't want to make this too political.

I hope everything works out for you from this point forward, and that you and your family receive the treatment (both medically and financially) that you deserve.

I sincerely want to thank you for your service. I love my country with all my heart, but I am beyond embarrassed at how those who took the biggest risks in protecting our freedoms are treated once they are back stateside. I'll stop there as I don't want to make this too political.

I hope everything works out for you from this point forward, and that you and your family receive the treatment (both medically and financially) that you deserve.
Yea all of this BigKen.^^^^

I'll never forget watching Born on the 4th of July and watching the slum hospital the critically injured vets had to endure back in the US like Ron Kovic. All based on a true story, of course. The way vets are treated is a disgrace. And then there's the mental side with the huge amounts of suicides amongst vets, with many reduced to homelessness and destitution with no help or counselling offered before they decide to end it all.

Solidarity with you Big Ken, 4 tours of Vietnam is some amount of service given.

Two things:

Thank you for standing up and serving.

Congratulations on 50 years with your wife.

Both are beyond outstanding.

Lori and I just back from the vets and saying good bye to our Mac best dog in the world. Tears being shed.
Hello Tim, I am deeply sorry for your loss words cannot describe the pain. We all feel when we have to say goodbye to our animals. I recently had to put down my dog last month right before Christmas. It was one of the hardest things that I have ever experience so I know the type of person you are, and I’m sure you’re hurting and my heart goes out to you. I love you my friend.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

We who have been here these past few years are also aware that you've grieved the loss of Mom, Dad and now your dog. And we know you loved them all dearly and suffered terribly though each of those losses. Your sympathy and love are returned by us all, I'm sure. Thank you so much for you're kindness. Love you too.

BostonTim

I understand the pain and heart ache. Both parents, and one of spouse's and our 17 year old dobie mix went over to the other side in 2023.
I just have memories.
Lovely memories.

Plan on living a long time to cherish those memories.

My prayer is I hope we all do.

Been meeting them all in my dreams lately. Love that.

Last edited:
I'm going to post this here to hopefully lighten the mood for a brief second.

Just out of the blue our 12 year old Chihuahua started having trouble getting around. He couldn't go down the front steps to go to the bathroom and couldn't jump up on our couch anymore. I texted my sister who is an animal expert to see if she had any suggestions and she threw out all kinds of ideas. My heart sunk at the thought of him declining so fast. We are fairly certain that our oldest son was his favorite but he loves us all.

I reached over and started petting him and noticed that his little bandana that the groomer had put on him seemed awfully tight. Turns out he had somehow worked his front leg through the bandana. I took it off and he immediately sprinted across the house like he was a pup again then he whined to go outside and barrelled down the steps like it was nothing. I guess I can add veterinarian to my resume. 🤣

Thanks for your service brother and congrats on 50 years of marriage, that is no small feat. :beer:

@BigKen
i have a friend who is a vietnam vet. nothing just or fair about any of it. his helicopter crashed and he was 1 of 2 or 3 survivors. besides the medical issues he had then, he developed more later on. he had to fight to get any military disability. despite all this he is rightfully proud of his service and calls himself a Marine,not a former Marine.
i am glad to know men like you exist. i wish the best for you and your family.

@BigKen
i have a friend who is a vietnam vet. nothing just or fair about any of it. his helicopter crashed and he was 1 of 2 or 3 survivors. besides the medical issues he had then, he developed more later on. he had to fight to get any military disability. despite all this he is rightfully proud of his service and calls himself a Marine,not a former Marine.
i am glad to know men like you exist. i wish the best for you and your family.
I have an uncle who worked for Air America and that happened to him. He was over there for more than 20 years. He passed a few years ago. Before Covid. ;)

Three tours, 67-69. 70% Agent orange. So I know what you did was something special. Thank you.

Cheers, BostonTim

Back