The Patriots' 2024 Off Season Thread

Like I've said all along, there's two ways to do the rebuild.

1) Long-term. Draft a QB and develop him and spend a couple of years without much in the way of results while a young team slowly improves - This will waste a top-tier defense in its prime, but hopefully through good drafting and FA signings, it can get back to that level again when those players age out.

2) Short-term. Sign a top-half QB and draft skill positions which are typically the easiest to translate to the NFL (RBs are usually immediate, WRs take half a year), especially with a simpler (in theory) offense in place, and take advantage of the defense you have right now, and have a chance to compete for a title this year and next (although theoretically when that defense ages out, you had better have replacements ready to go for them).

Both methods are valid. Personally I'd hate to waste this defense, waiting for QB who may never pan out, but that's just my own preference. Either way they go I'd support.

According to Over the Cap, cutting JC would save the Patriits 14 million on the cap. That would be more than enough to sign Dugger.
If he wants to sign. If they want to keep him, it's possible they have to tag him, which is actually fine, it's not an exorbitant number. $16 mil for one year, which you mostly just saved by cutting JC Jackson. So that leaves $60 million to spend. If they sign him to a new contract, it will be even more.

The report that they 'made an offer to Dugger', and there wasn't an immediate reciprocation from Dugger's camp that he was interested, is pretty alarming. Nothing's official until the league year starts, of course, so it's all speculation, but that's usually how this goes.

And with the new open communication with the sports media the Krafts seem to have - expect us to be 'in on' a lot of guys we don't actually sign, much like Miami has been for the last 20 years.

I'm resigned to it. I will cross the bar totally satisfied with having had far more joy than a football fan dare dream of.

Cheers, :toast:
We been fortunate, those who are that is fans of the pro teams in NE. Not just since 2000 but the 70s and so on.

I'm resigned to it. I will cross the bar totally satisfied with having had far more joy than a football fan dare dream of.

Cheers, :toast:
Funny how the old attitudes come back. Rather than the attidude of the past 20 years that there is no mountain too high., we will be back to thinking the hill is too steep.

Funny how the old attitudes come back. Rather than the attidude of the past 20 years that there is no mountain too high., we will be back to thinking the hill is too steep.
I will always love and root for my patriots, but given my allotment of four score year and ten, I'm well overdrawn. So I may not be around for the second coming. If so, no complaints. 🤷

This off-season is key in changing that mind set ...

Just read that the Patriots are looking to trade Parker. The Ravens have shown some interest and may offer a 5th round pick. If the Patriots can trade Parker, they would gain $3,000,000 in cap space. If they cut him, they have to eat the entire $6,000,000 salary.
I call Parker, Alligator Arms. Several times he could have caught passes if he only reached and extended. You know, the things that good WR'S do. But I guess it was just too much of an effort.
If the Ravens offer a 6th, we should take it.

Just read that the Patriots are looking to trade Parker. The Ravens have shown some interest and may offer a 5th round pick. If the Patriots can trade Parker, they would gain $3,000,000 in cap space. If they cut him, they have to eat the entire $6,000,000 salary.
I call Parker, Alligator Arms. Several times he could have caught passes if he only reached and extended. You know, the things that good WR'S do. But I guess it was just too much of an effort.
If the Ravens offer a 6th, we should take it.
If they offer a bag of pucks (yes, PUCKS!) we should take it!

Things learned about the Patriots while at the Combine

As the Patriots seek a veteran quarterback to pair with a rookie, some names we’ve heard are Jacoby Brissett, Gardner Minshew, and Joe Flacco. Of that group, Brissett seems the most logical, while Flacco is the most divisive among Patriots staffers.

Flacco’s supporters in the building see him as the ideal pairing with a first-round pick. The Super Bowl winner would attack training camp as the starter and the rookie would need to earn the gig from him. If he loses a competition, the expectation is that Flacco would carry himself gracefully.

On the flip side, Flacco’s detractors see little sense in signing a 39-year-old pocket passer who began last season on the couch and was exposed in the playoffs.

The Indianapolis Colts brought Minshew in last season to back up rookie Anthony Richardson. He went 7-6 as a starter after Richardson suffered a season-ending injury. The veteran, who earned Pro Bowl alternate honors, could be a backup/bridge quarterback option for the Patriots.

There’s also Baker Mayfield.

There is internal support for Mayfield on several different levels in the Patriots organization. That makes sense considering the quarterback has connections with people in the front office — Eliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith — as well as new offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt. However, with a rumored salary as high as $40 million per season, it would be a shock to some in the organization if the Patriots aggressively pursued Mayfield in free agency.

For now, the team is looking to explore the veteran quarterback market to add someone who best pairs with a rookie this season.

The Patriots are expected to shop wideout DeVante Parker with the knowledge that it’ll be more challenging to move fellow underachieving veteran JuJu Smith-Schuster due to his contract. Neither receiver drew interest from any teams at last year’s trade deadline. The Patriots will see if that’s still the case this offseason.

Wolf and Jerod Mayo expressed their desire publicly to add a game-changing player on offense. How the team accomplishes that goal is the big question.

Insiders in league circles expressed some doubt that a true No. 1 receiver will be available to the Patriots in free agency. Mike Evans will reportedly hit the market, but his agent said the receiver wants to go to a Super Bowl contender. There’s also speculation that Michael Pittman and Calvin Ridley could stay with their respected teams. That would leave Marquise Brown and Gabe Davis as the top available options.

An intriguing name among NFL teams, the Patriots included, is Texans wide receiver Noah Brown. The 28-year-old had a couple explosive games in Houston last season, catching six passes for 153 yards against Tampa Bay and following it up with a seven catch, 172-yard performance the next week.

The Patriots are planning for the possibility starting left guard Cole Strange (knee) won’t be ready for part of the offseason. Because of that, they’re looking into adding more depth at the position. Sidy Sow is the presumed starter at right guard. Atonio Mafi saw action in his rookie season, but more help is likely needed.

While the Patriots would like to bring Hunter Henry back, the tight end is likely to hit free agency. The two sides are far apart on an extension. A name to watch for the Patriots could be Austin Hooper, who was with the Cleveland Browns 2020-2021, overlapping with Van Pelt. Harrison Bryant also played for Van Pelt last season. Other notable free agents are Dalton Schultz and Noah Fant.

The Patriots also want Kendrick Bourne back, but the two sides aren’t seeing eye-to-eye on his market value. At this time, it seems unlikely that the team will sign Bourne before free agency begins on March 11. The receiver, coming off a knee injury, is expected to have interest around the NFL.

Mayo and Wolf’s desire to retain Kyle Dugger and Mike Onwenu isn’t just lip service. They’re actively working to re-sign the two ahead of free agency. Along with Henry and Bourne, the Patriots have expressed interest in bringing back Mack Wilson, Pharaoh Brown and Myles Bryant – among others.

Wilson is expected to draw interest from a variety of teams if the Patriots don’t extend him before free agency. Notably Pittsburgh, Arizona, Philadelphia and New Orleans.

The Patriots would like to find a starting-caliber tackle in free agency. One name to watch is Tyron Smith, who earned second team All-Pro honors with the Cowboys last season. The 33-year-old would provide a short-term solution at left tackle and the Patriots are expected to pursue Smith when free agency opens.

This isn’t a deep tackle class in free agency. The next best option would be Cincinnati’s Jonah Williams. The Patriots will also be heavily interested in drafting a tackle, and new offensive line coach Scott Peters arrived in Indianapolis on Wednesday night to scout prospects.

Buzz around the Combine confirmed the Patriots will conduct interviews after the draft for a high-ranking front office position. It’s possible this is an actual GM search. Eliot Wolf, who has the final say on decisions, told reporters on Tuesday that his title was Director of Scouting.

While the common belief is he will eventually land the GM title, the expectation around the NFL is that the Patriots will still interview outside candidates. Several league executives expressed confusion as to why the Patriots are operating in this fashion — allowing the current group to draft and sign players — if they plan to add another key decision maker.

That said, several experienced general manager candidates have expressed interest in the job.

In house, there are several front office members whose contracts will expire after the draft, but sources noted that most expect to be back.

Internally, people were critical of Bill Belichick’s lack of plan or lack thereof when it came to his offense. For example, having three different schemes over the past three seasons, bringing in Bill O’Brien but having him work with a staff that wasn’t always in line with his teachings.

The brass is hoping to put together a concise vision of what they want their offense to be and the type of players they need — something that wasn’t happening in New England, according to some of those involved internally.

Troy Brown’s role remains unclear. Word is, he was afforded the opportunity to pursue jobs elsewhere. If he wasn’t able to secure another job, he was free to return to Jerod Mayo’s staff in a capacity TBD.

Patriots scouts have worked hard this offseason to adapt to a new grading system. The team is using a system that’s common among other NFL teams but differs in how Bill Belichick had his scouts grade players. Under Belichick, the Patriots identified prospects that specifically fit in their system or for specific roles. Now, scouts will use a “value based system” that ranks players equally across the board. Changing this approach so quickly is challenging for scouts, but people are optimistic and hope it helps the Patriots draft better in the future.

The Patriots have high hopes for this draft class and believe they can land multiple starters.

The Patriots need more blue-chip talent. League evaluators, however, are extremely bullish on Christian Gonzalez. The cornerback, who played only four games last season, is viewed as a legitimate No. 1 with Pro Bowl potential.

fwiw re: above
daniel jeremiah said last night on combine coverage that he was talking to people he knows and someone told him "don't sleep on the patriots" vis a vis getting baker mayfield.

Last edited:
chevss454's article said:
Several league executives expressed confusion as to why the Patriots are operating in this fashion — allowing the current group to draft and sign players — if they plan to add another key decision maker.
us too!🤣

Honestly picking up Minshew, drafting Daniels and letting him sit while he learns wouldn't be a terrible scenario.

J.J McCarthy is now reminding me a bit of Brady. Michigan guy, this time won the Natty, isn't seen as anything special and not close to the top guys. I would really do more digging on him after yesterday. Arm looked real good yesterday imo and his 3rd down metrics and pressure metrics are pretty good or so I thought. That counts for something to me.

Trade the 3rd, get a LT, then draft JJ when you feel the time is right. Sign a vet to let him learn for a year, and maybe hit the top part of the draft again. I dunno...something is starting to grow on me with that plan.

Back