The Steelers are who we thought they were

Arians was awesome last year, not so much this - which is the real level?

BB
Poodle
Reid
Fox
Payton (and his next job will show it was deaf ears)
Arians
Del Rio (reinvented himself)
Harbaugh (despite being a douchebag)

pick one of
Quinn
Gase

and then you have
O'Brien
Garrett
Kubiak
Bowels
Peterson

I think McCoy is learning and will be a better coach next time he gets a job.
Rex Could be if he would Coach football and not be a blow hard - the man knows defense and his team is playing ok for no WR's and the RB banged up
Rivera is an up and down guy, like Tomlin based on schedule.

Lewis, Fisher and Kelly suck

I think most of the other 28 coaches belong in the bottom half, but there's only room for 16, so 12 of them get into the top half.

Can't we just exile them to the bottom halF"

16A
17A...

Works for me

Who here thought BB was a great Head Coach after he left Cleveland?

Who here was all hot and bothered when BB was named HC of the NEP? especially after giving up the pick

I always thought that he was good...

I was very happy about the Pats hiring BB...

You might be right about the head coach/GM power struggles. In fact, I would absolutely agree with you on this.

I think the top coaches in college could do decently in the NFL...well, at least most of them.

so blame the coaches when practice time is limited, contact id forbidden and the GM fills the roster with no general concept in place.

Yes the sport is lacking but don't you think that Fundamentals should be in place long before they hit the NFL?

The league is a mess but that does not mean the coaching is the sole "ISSUE". I think it is more the GM's and their lack of focus.

BB, in my opinion, is the most prepared coach in the league, DID that make a difference with Jamie Collins freelancing? Bill selects players who "LIVE" football, he thought Easley, Collins and Jones lived football and when they didn't he cut his losses because he is the GM, not because he is the coach - the GM saddles these coaches, the league minimizes the availability of contact and MONEY changes everything.

Mikie if you want to argue for the sake of it thats cool. Your the boss.

And i agree with most of what you wrote. However you completely ignored my post and what was in it.

The league is a shitshow for many different reasons on every level of the NFL. Owners, gm, coaches, rules, casual fans and on.

Im simply talking about what good coaching can accomplish. And im saying very clearly theres maybe 4-6 guys currently as NFL HC'S who really have a "program". Yes practice time matters but this is absolutely terrible football. Like historically bad football imo.

And lets not pretend most coaches dont have a hell of a lot more say than GM's. Bills are just one of many examples of this.

Maybe you can back up your opinion with some evidence or facts :shrug_n: ?

Maybe you think the league is doing well but i dont any serious football fan who does. In fact its absolutely terrible.

You must be a politician with that pivot from talking about coaching, to then jumping to how the league is doing, and I guess trying to imply that I said anything about how the league is doing.

Sorry, but I won't be playing that game.

Ok and while you're at it maybe you can enlighten the rest of us why and how Big Mike is better than half the coaches in the league?

How about you enlighten us on all the coaches who are better.

Mikie if you want to argue for the sake of it thats cool. Your the boss.

And i agree with most of what you wrote. However you completely ignored my post and what was in it.

The league is a shitshow for many different reasons on every level of the NFL. Owners, gm, coaches, rules, casual fans and on.

Im simply talking about what good coaching can accomplish. And im saying very clearly theres maybe 4-6 guys currently as NFL HC'S who really have a "program". Yes practice time matters but this is absolutely terrible football. Like historically bad football imo.

And lets not pretend most coaches dont have a hell of a lot more say than GM's. Bills are just one of many examples of this.
i can disagree with you. That is not arguing but discussion - boss has nothing to do with it. We both agree about the sport losing its appeal and much more but I disagree all these coaches, but 5 or 6, suck.

the bottom 16 coaches, not named fisher, Lewis, or Kelly, have minimal say in their programs. These coaches are happy to have a chance or are getting their last go around before heading back to the title of OC/DC.
Fisher is a league guy, a rat and ownership loves them. Lewis gets talent but who but has no spine to coach his team of bad apples and Kelly just needs to go back to college but these other guys need a decent Program in place that works WITH their philosophy - too many bad fit pairings.

Look what ownership did in Miami all those years or currently in Cleveland. Until recently no coach

Grier knows talent, his dad did too, and if ownership remains patient with Grier and Gase they will continue to improve.

But look at Cleveland and the inconsistency, no coach will do well there.

I admit the NFL is lacking but blame many things, not just the coaches, it starts with college programs being fundamentally lacking and goes up.

How about you enlighten us on all the coaches who are better.

I get it. When you can't articulate an opinion you what you're doing. I didnt pivot or change any topic.

You said Mike T was a good coach. Better than half in the league. Im calling bs and you cant back it up.

Hes had great ownership and has more talent than 90% of the league for several years. Also had some really nice asst coaches and done absolutely nothing but win with a team he didnt build. He almost got involved on the field during live play.

Ok now maybe if your kitty doesnt hurt you can pretend to have a point?

i can disagree with you. That is not arguing but discussion - boss has nothing to do with it. We both agree about the sport losing its appeal and much more but I disagree all these coaches, but 5 or 6, suck.

the bottom 16 coaches, not named fisher, Lewis, or Kelly, have minimal say in their programs. These coaches are happy to have a chance or are getting their last go around before heading back to the title of OC/DC.
Fisher is a league guy, a rat and ownership loves them. Lewis gets talent but who but has no spine to coach his team of bad apples and Kelly just needs to go back to college but these other guys need a decent Program in place that works WITH their philosophy - too many bad fit pairings.

Look what ownership did in Miami all those years or currently in Cleveland. Until recently no coach

Grier knows talent, his dad did too, and if ownership remains patient with Grier and Gase they will continue to improve.

But look at Cleveland and the inconsistency, no coach will do well there.

I admit the NFL is lacking but blame many things, not just the coaches, it starts with college programs being fundamentally lacking and goes up.

Miami is about to let Gase clean house big time. Whether it comes from the right reasons or their embarrassed by past performance is another subject. But that team will look 100% different next year and the year.

Doug Whaley wanted no part in Taylor and was an EJ GUY through and through. Rex got his guy. How has Buffalo drafted the past few years? And Rexis NOT a good coach.

Denver let Josh clean house .Same with Chip.

Coaches arent going anywhere, especially ones that are sought after, if theres a gm with more power.

I think we agree on a lot except the number of quality coaches?

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

Possibly because they won a superbowl under him? Maybe because he's probably better than half the coaches in the league?

:shrug_n:

Oh sunshine you cant have it both ways .....

Oh sunshine you cant have it both ways .....

Excuse me? In case there is some confusion, Mike is the good cop here, not me. Call me another cute name and see where you end up.

For the first time this year I watched a lot of football and I am still surprised at how bad the quarterback play is around the league. If I was Jacksonville, I'd be planning an exit strategy for Blake Bortles. That guy has been around too long to be throwing WTF interceptions like he does.[/QUOTE]

I've been taking an interest in Bortles ever since he was drafted, as I thought at the time he would be a total bust (my record here is not good, I thought Chad Pennington was a nailed on superstar and that Tyler Donovan would be the next Tom Brady). The thing that gets me about Bortles is that he has zero understanding of what the defence is doing, throws picks and doesn't learn from them, and trots off as if it's just part of the job.

Excuse me? In case there is some confusion, Mike is the good cop here, not me. Call me another cute name and see where you end up.

You'll what? Im curious? Sunshine really get you bothered? Really? Little bit?

Did you not call me a politician? Really not a big deal. But please do whatever the **** you ****in feel.

What you wont do is come back and provide any facts that M.T. is better than half the coaches in the league. If you do it'll be a weak response about him winning a SB with someone else's team.

You made a post, on a ****in message board, i responded, with some claims that havent been challenged at all.

Are the Steelers not super talented and have been for years? Have not drafted and taken guys at need like defense that havent done dick ? Isnt Tomlin a defensive guy, yet like Rex cant coach up anyone?

Do that seem like the epitomy of discipline?

In game adjustments?

Again im making a pretty good case for a shitty coach.

Im so ****in sorry for trying to talk football.

Well.
This got out of control quickly.
A time out is just what was needed so kudos to everyone for allowing time to pass.
So...the election is over, the country will survive and the Steelers still suck.
wuv all around.

So...the election is over, the country will survive and the Steelers still suck.

And as you stated much earlier in the thread, there are still only a handful of good coaches in the NFL.

Good coaches have most, if not all, of the following attributes:

• Have their teams ready to play every week
  • Make half-time adjustments
  • Do a good job managing the clock and time-outs
  • Actually talk to their players and assistants coaches during the game and don't just stand there with sunglasses on
  • Win most of the games they should win, and some of the games they shouldn't
  • Don't give a rat's ass about how they're viewed by the media
  • Take NFL-approved team apparel and shred it in order to piss-off NFL front-office types

And as you stated much earlier in the thread, there are still only a handful of good coaches in the NFL.

Good coaches have most, if not all, of the following attributes:

• Have their teams ready to play every week
  • Make half-time adjustments
  • Do a good job managing the clock and time-outs
  • Actually talk to their players and assistants coaches during the game and don't just stand there with sunglasses on
  • Win most of the games they should win, and some of the games they shouldn't
  • Don't give a rat's ass about how they're viewed by the media
  • Take NFL-approved team apparel and shred it in order to piss-off NFL front-office types

Not many qualified for this...

Isn't it great being a Pats fan?!?! :toast:

Not many qualified for this...

Isn't it great being a Pats fan?!?! :toast:

We're spoiled by BB and Brady. I think it skews our judgement on what good actually is. Just because one is not on the same level as the best (or elite, like when talking about QBs), doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't good.

We're spoiled by BB and Brady. I think it skews our judgement on what good actually is. Just because one is not on the same level as the best (or elite, like when talking about QBs), doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't good.

I've asked this earlier (post #52), maybe you missed my post.

Who among the 32 head coaches do you rate as good?

69516146.jpg

Back