They Should Have Ran the Ball - Part 2

mooseontheloose

See, moose love the Pats too!
Reaction score
Already seeing this popping up. Atlanta was in FG range with around 3 or 4 minutes left. Tried to throw on successive plays and got sacked and then a holding penalty. Run, run, FG and the lead is back to 10.

The tears taste so good.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Already seeing this popping up. Atlanta was in FG range with around 3 or 4 minutes left. Tried to throw on successive plays and got sacked and then a holding penalty. Run, run, FG and the lead is back to 10.

The tears taste so good.

I've got nothing against Atlanta and I spent too many years with McNamara should have replaced Buckner with Stapleton in the 10th & Grady Little should have pulled Pedro after the 7th to not relate to their pain.

If they ran they would have lost yards the way the Pat's D was playing....

That's funny I was screaming at our team to stop running the ball. Come on, they don't want the ball in the hands of their MVP QB?

We had several key sacks that killed Atlanta's chances for points all game. It was unreal how our pass rush got there every time we needed it to.

Dan Quinn will be waking up screaming for months after this. Coupled with the loss 2 years ago......

When you have the RB's they have, you have to run it. Quinn coached a shitty game.

So did McDaniels.

But yeah, in hindsight, they should have run, but that offense is pretty good at passing the ball and they had been moving it well. They were going for the kill and I think it is hard to fault them too much for that.

So did McDaniels.

But yeah, in hindsight, they should have run, but that offense is pretty good at passing the ball and they had been moving it well. They were going for the kill and I think it is hard to fault them too much for that.

Yeah. Atlanta played like that all season. Throwing and scoring. That is who they were but situationally it was a disaster. Just run and kill the clock.

We had several key sacks that killed Atlanta's chances for points all game. It was unreal how our pass rush got there every time we needed it to.

Can they rush the passer though? :coffee:

On the ESPN postgame, Trent Dilfer had a good take on it. He basically said that Atlanta's success this year as an offense was based a lot on the big-play attack, and that "it'll make you smile but it'll make you cry". The Falcons always had big leads this year. They never really had to play a close game. And, in this game, once again they sprinted out to a big lead (not due to their offense, but due to Patriots' turnovers). So when the game tightened up, the Falcons--or, at least, their coaches--just didn't know how to play a different game. Of course everyone in the world who ISN'T on the Falcons coaching staff thinks they should've run-run-FG. But even Kyle Shanahan said afterwards, "Well, we tried to run on 2nd-and-1 and got stuffed, so..." This is why Belichick is the GOAT: almost every time, with rare screwups by him, he'll do what needs to be done to win the game.

Pats are to Quinn what the Giants are to BB

It's really what sets Bill apart isn't it. Situational football. They meticulously cover every possibility and scenario. 2 years ago a case in point. Hey practiced that Malcolm Butler play. Incredible when you think about it. And the speed which they got that goal line package in there. That's what Bill does.

So did McDaniels.

Agreed. It's how they've been destroying teams all year. I can't fault them for that either. Dilfer actually had a smart take on it.

Matt Ryan really only came into his own this year , dear God have a little pocket presence one or two of the sacks could have been avoided , but yes run the ball you were in field goal range even if you got stop at the line the field goal is 39 yards !!!

I have to assume that Atlanta wanted to "make a statement" but putting it in the endzone and having style points for the score in the end. There is no logic to it otherwise.

I would have run it up the middle 3 times, force the Pats to use all their time outs and kicked a field goal, but they didn't. They left the door ajar and Brady kicked it down.

Back