Things to like about today's game

Spinal Tap

dicktowel.com
Reaction score
I havent' read all the crap that you guys have been posting today, but I have seen a lot of blaming Belichick, saying that Brady is "done", the Pats offense was "lame", and other retarded bullshit.

To me, the Patriots actually played a better game today than they did against Buffalo. Here are some of the positives that I took out of an early season loss today.

1) The defense played very, very well. Let's face it, they looked like crap last week, and I thought they really turned it around nicely today. They were excellent against the run, came up with a red zone turnover, and really held the Jets offense in check for the bulk of the game. In fact, they came up with two BIG stops late in the fourth quarter to give Brady and Co. a chance to come back. I was very pleased with the way the defense played today, and hope that they continue an upward trend.

2) Brady wasn't sacked a single time. Yes, the Jets got lots of pressure and forced some bad throws, but he didn't get sacked once, and that's a good thing. In fact, the Pats moved the ball pretty well in the first half, and really made some mistakes in the red zone that could have put the Jets in a very difficult position. Brady throwing off of Edelman's fingertips on 3rd and 5 from the 7 yard line was a BIG miscue. Julian would have waltzed into the end zone, but Tom just didn't put it where it needed to be. The other big misfire was when Brady was flushed from the pocket and missed a wide open Galloway inside the 5 yard line. On both plays, the Patriots had prime opportunities to get into the end zone and just misfired. Those plays will come, and this offense is clearly not clicking on all cylinders. To me, the Pats lost this game in the first half, not the second, because they missed a couple of key chances to get a double digit lead.

3) Edelman filled in very nicely for Wes Welker, and will certainly see more playing time, even when Welker returns. He really only dropped one ball, and handled hot reads as well as a rookie should be expected to handle them. Nice job by Julian.

4) The Patriots were actually able to run the ball pretty effectively today, but some untimely penatlies left them in a lot of 3rd and long situations. I won't bash "LoMo" today, because I can't remember him getting a carry after the first quarter. This team clearly needs BJGE to get some carries, because their other running backs are either long in the tooth (Taylor/ Morris) or simply not that good (Maroney). I am thinking that BJGE is having trouble in pass protection, and is probably the reason why he didn't play today. Have faith, he'll be this team's starting back by week 6, if not sooner.

5) Let's face it, the only part of this team that anyone has faith in is Tom Brady and the passing game. Sure, they didn't light it up today, but it's a 16 game season, and they will get better as the season progresses. All of the other question marks about this team had some positive trends this week, and to me, that's a good thing. I'm not pleased that the Patriots lost, but the fact remains that they get to play next week, and 13 weeks thereafter. It's a long season, and nobody ever won the Super Bowl in week 2 of an NFL season. For all of the shit talking the Jets did this week, it doesn't mean a damn thing in the grand scheme of things. We'll get to see them again, and this time it'll be on our turf, with our fans, and a more finely tuned offensive unit will be on the field that day. Have faith Patriots fans, the Falcons are coming to town!

4) The Patriots were actually able to run the ball pretty effectively today, but some untimely penatlies left them in a lot of 3rd and long situations. I won't bash "LoMo" today, because I can't remember him getting a carry after the first quarter. This team clearly needs BJGE to get some carries, because their other running backs are either long in the tooth (Taylor/ Morris) or simply not that good (Maroney). I am thinking that BJGE is having trouble in pass protection, and is probably the reason why he didn't play today. Have faith, he'll be this team's starting back by week 6, if not sooner.

Are you serious? What the hell is with the BJGE love? I understand he's a tough kid and everyone loves the underdog, but Maroney has more talent in his toenails. BJGE doesn't play because he's not as good. Period.

Are you serious? What the hell is with the BJGE love? I understand he's a tough kid and everyone loves the underdog, but Maroney has more talent in his toenails. BJGE doesn't play because he's not as good. Period.

Right. So where was Maroney today? Did he forget his toenail at home? Give me a break pal.

Right. So where was Maroney today? Did he forget his toenail at home? Give me a break pal.

I think Maroney and Taylor ran well. They just didn't get a chance to establish anything. You're aware we're averaging over 50 pass attempts a game, right? I don't think putting the 53rd man on the roster into the starting spot at RB and giving him the sporadic carries we're giving the better backs now will suddenly give us an explosive ground game.

The fact of the matter is be it Maroney, BJGE, Taylor or Morris, we have to actually commit to establishing the run in order to make it work. What we're doing now is killing the chance our backs have of being successful.

I think Maroney and Taylor ran well. They just didn't get a chance to establish anything. You're aware we're averaging over 50 pass attempts a game, right? I don't think putting the 53rd man on the roster into the starting spot at RB and giving him the sporadic carries we're giving the better backs now will suddenly give us an explosive ground game.

The fact of the matter is be it Maroney, BJGE, Taylor or Morris, we have to actually commit to establishing the run in order to make it work. What we're doing now is killing the chance our backs have of being successful.

Maroney didn't carry the ball much after the first quarter, but I'll agree with you that Taylor ran well. Maybe Fred should get the ball 20 times a game.

I'll also agree that we need to try an establish a running game, which we are not doing right now.

It's also factual that putting the best RB on the roster (BJGE) into the game will go a long way towards establshing the running game that we all crave.

Trust me, if Maroney keeps playing like this, I'll get my wish and see BJGE in the lineup before too long, maybe even this week. It's only a matter of time.

The Maroney apologists remind me of the Bledsoe apologists. Perhaps they are the same people, I don't know.

Ok, this is getting away from me. I don't want to turn this into a Maroney bashing thread, because quite frankly, he was a non-factor today. I want to talk about things that I actually liked about today's game.

The one area of this team that did not perform today was the passing game, and that's the area that I am most comfortable with. I'm not concerned about that.

Maroney didn't carry the ball much after the first quarter, but I'll agree with you that Taylor ran well. Maybe Fred should get the ball 20 times a game.

I'll also agree that we need to try an establish a running game, which we are not doing right now.

It's also factual that putting the best RB on the roster (BJGE) into the game will go a long way towards establshing the running game that we all crave.

Trust me, if Maroney keeps playing like this, I'll get my wish and see BJGE in the lineup before too long, maybe even this week. It's only a matter of time.

The Maroney apologists remind me of the Bledsoe apologists. Perhaps they are the same people, I don't know.

Sorry, but the thought that BJGE is the best back on the roster destroys your credibility. I agree with the rest of your (initial) post, though. You should read Oswlek's breakdowns of the running game (Maroney-specific) or Box's threads with the entire game breakdown to get the entire story on Maroney's runs. Either that, or just make up some generalities like "he sucks" or "he dances" without looking at context. That works, too.

Ok, this is getting away from me. I don't want to turn this into a Maroney bashing thread, because quite frankly, he was a non-factor today. I want to talk about things that I actually liked about today's game.

The one area of this team that did not perform today was the passing game, and that's the area that I am most comfortable with. I'm not concerned about that.

Cool. Lets be done with it then. Like I said, your initial post was pretty spot on. I agree with the defense, too. Think about it. Our "problem" is that the offense sucked ass in a game we controlled for a half, and lost because of one big play on D. It could be much, much worse.

The weather was nice.

Kids napped at the same time.... got a "nooner."

That's about it for today, people.

The defense played very, very well. Let's face it, they looked like crap last week, and I thought they really turned it around nicely today. They were excellent against the run, came up with a red zone turnover, and really held the Jets offense in check for the bulk of the game. In fact, they came up with two BIG stops late in the fourth quarter to give Brady and Co. a chance to come back. I was very pleased with the way the defense played today, and hope that they continue an upward trend.

Agree with this for the most part. But, I wonder why they're playing so vanilla. Little pre-snap movement, no blitzing. Maybe they're taking it slow for the new guys.

Wonder who will be the pass rusher when both Mayo and Merriweather are out so that other people have to fill in there.

Sometimes I think BB loves the UF version of the spread O a little too much. I know he is friends with Urban Meyer & that a few years ago he visited with Meyer to learn everything he could about the UF passing game but I wish he scale it back a bit & pound the rock more.

Cool. Lets be done with it then. Like I said, your initial post was pretty spot on. I agree with the defense, too. Think about it. Our "problem" is that the offense sucked ass in a game we controlled for a half, and lost because of one big play on D. It could be much, much worse.
You girls are too funny!The things to like about the game today is the beating Brady took .It was masterful.Welcome to the bottom of the AFC East.You may not want to admit it ,but the Cheats O line has been exposed in a big way.Yeah you guessed it ,overrated!!!

I'm preferring to look at the positive here.

- I agree with Spinal, the defense played well. They gave up 16 points!! With the potential of the offense, this should be enough to produce an easy win. This loss is squarely on the offense.

- And it's squarely on the offensive penalties. Consecutive Delay penalties when in Jets' territory is inexcusable. Too many holdings.

- Brady is not back yet. There were some open receivers that he was missing. I thought he moved well in the pocket. But his accuracy is still off. He was going to get hit in this game. That's what a Ryan defense does. Hit the QB at all costs. But he also moved well enough to avoid more hits.

- Revis is the real deal. And I think that was the difference. Moss just couldn't get open.

- The Jets were well prepared for the "Welker" screen and I'm surprised that the Pats didn't try to do something off of that. The DB was selling out for that play.

- Kickoff coverage was very bad. The Jets were getting great field position off of kickoffs.

- Conversely, the Pats kickoff return team couldn't block anyone.

I'm not as down as many others. It's only week 2. Look around the NFL at the "contenders". Pitt is 1-1 and had to go to OT to beat the.....0-2 Titans who lost a terrible game at home against Houston. Green Bay loses at home to Cincy? The Classy Chargers are 1-1 and barely survived week 1 as well.

There's a looooong way to go yet. All this week means is that the Jets took round 1 at home. Now it's back home for two challenging games. No time to wallow. Refocus and get ready for Atlanta.

I'm preferring to look at the positive here.

- I agree with Spinal, the defense played well. They gave up 16 points!! With the potential of the offense, this should be enough to produce an easy win. This loss is squarely on the offense.

- And it's squarely on the offensive penalties. Consecutive Delay penalties when in Jets' territory is inexcusable. Too many holdings.

- Brady is not back yet. There were some open receivers that he was missing. I thought he moved well in the pocket. But his accuracy is still off. He was going to get hit in this game. That's what a Ryan defense does. Hit the QB at all costs. But he also moved well enough to avoid more hits.

- Revis is the real deal. And I think that was the difference. Moss just couldn't get open.

- The Jets were well prepared for the "Welker" screen and I'm surprised that the Pats didn't try to do something off of that. The DB was selling out for that play.

- Kickoff coverage was very bad. The Jets were getting great field position off of kickoffs.

- Conversely, the Pats kickoff return team couldn't block anyone.

I'm not as down as many others. It's only week 2. Look around the NFL at the "contenders". Pitt is 1-1 and had to go to OT to beat the.....0-2 Titans who lost a terrible game at home against Houston. Green Bay loses at home to Cincy? The Classy Chargers are 1-1 and barely survived week 1 as well.

There's a looooong way to go yet. All this week means is that the Jets took round 1 at home. Now it's back home for two challenging games. No time to wallow. Refocus and get ready for Atlanta.

While the game was difficult to watch at times, I'm going with Bid here. We're 1-1 and there were some positives. Guyton stepped it up, McGowan showed he can play, and Taylor can run.

The delay of game penalties were tough to take, but it was incredibly loud there, and the flags didn't come as a surprise to me. I was way more pissed off at the non-calls. I hope Adalius brings the film of the same exact hit on Brady that he made on Trent when he appeals his fine.

Let's face it, the offense was bad. I think Vollmer could have made a difference on the line but didn't see him. The defense wasn't as bad as I expected, but I didn't see Burgess on the field very much, or did I just miss it?

The delay of game penalties were tough to take, but it was incredibly loud there, and the flags didn't come as a surprise to me. I was way more pissed off at the non-calls. I hope Adalius brings the film of the same exact hit on Brady that he made on Trent when he appeals his fine.
the offense just seems to be out of sync, too many mental mistakes, not physical. it appears the collected heads are up their collective asses right now. I will listen for the giant pop that better happen when the team reports to foxboro tomorrow to start preparing for the Falcons

There were only two things to like about the game. the play of the CB's for most of the game and Edelmen.

First post but who cares,

Did anyone notice we had no pass rush the whole game, I'm not saying I wouldn't do the trade over but something has to be done. Sanchez was sitting in the pocket the whole game.

First post but who cares,

Did anyone notice we had no pass rush the whole game, I'm not saying I wouldn't do the trade over but something has to be done. Sanchez was sitting in the pocket the whole game.

I'm pretty sure anyone that isn't sight-impaired noticed that....but welcome to the Planet.

Back