This is why the Owners will win...

Well, too start with they aren't business partners on the individual level, that has to develop between the NFLPA leadership and the NFL at that level where the interests of the two align. In Mankins' case, he's an employee, one with a predetermined monetary value assigned by his employer before his renegotiations began. Because Mankins is a valuable NFL commodity, NE is trying to retain him, but within the value they've assigned, how far apart in terms of that value we don't really know, how far apart in terms of what each are "hearing" when statements are made does appear to be wider - it happens.

Mankins was an actual employee until his 6 year rookie contract officially expired. The Pats have now strung him along for going on 3 years now, 1-saying in his last contract year they will take care of him, 2-last year low balling him with a 3.4M RFA tender, and 3 - FT this year which will probably be revoked if FT & TT are removed from the new CBA. However, I totally agree with you that his Pats valued worth is lower than what any other team is willing to pay him, imho.

After midnight, Mankins agent is able to shop him to the other 31 teams under the terms of the non-exclusive franchise tag. NE has given Mankins and his team the opportunity to find a better deal, but whomever wants Mankins more, is going to have to pay for it in draft picks - two firsts - and NE is going to play hardball on that price, they may settle for a first and second, but I don't see them going lower. Mankins at least gets to test the market and try to find a better situation, at worst he re-signs with NE for the market rate "he" established when he shopped himself around the league.

As you and I already know, there is no team that will give up 2 #1 draft picks for ANY such NFL player. But there are many teams that would give Mankins a 3-5 year long term contract for like $8-10M per year with a 50% guarrantee clause usually embedded within. So this year I guess Mankins will only get his $3.4M - $5M for playing his 6 - 8 games again this year.

Bob Kraft has built a financially savvy organization, they are going to do things the way Kraft has set it up because it's the business model that works best. Nothing personal until you make it personal, Mankins has been given the chance to get the best deal he can, but NE isn't going to give him away no matter how angry he gets, so keep your temper and welcome to the big leagues. Play your cards right and you get the $8M annually you want with a big guarantee up front.

I totally agree again with your above Pats modus operandi. However, Mankins honesty and morales are the only thing that have gotten him in trouble because everyone in the NFL knows his market worth is way more than what Pats are willing to pay him.

Yes, the CBA situation makes it all problematic, but it doesn't change the franchise tag designation in terms of what NE was/is giving Mankins. Frankly, I'm surprised Lolo hasn't signed it and guaranteed himself $10M, but he may already have some backdoor offers which tell him to play hardball himself.

He very well could have a deal already with another squad and waiting for the CBA to expire. Sign it. Then challenge thru court the validity of a tag if there's no language in an agreed upon CBA.

There was some talk on NFLN about all the tendering of players going on lately, due to the NFL possibly having to go forward by abiding by past language in past contracts. Tendering ensures the teams will get value for players acquired after said contract.

There is also talk regarding all NFL coaching staffs taking a 50-75% pay cut after midnight tonight.

Does this stuff never end?

98.5 is reporting a significant number of owners are no longer in favor of locking out.

Doty's decision looks to definitely have made an impact. If that $4 billion TV fund was flowing I doubt the same thought process would hold.

Yes, the CBA situation makes it all problematic, but it doesn't change the franchise tag designation in terms of what NE was/is giving Mankins. Frankly, I'm surprised Lolo hasn't signed it and guaranteed himself $10M, but he may already have some backdoor offers which tell him to play hardball himself.

Well in legal actuality, the PA will be sending out law suits to all teams whom have used their FT after the lock out is officially established. This is because with no valid 2011 CBA and especially if PU decertification occurs, and most importantly if new CBA removes FT & TT, Mankins will be playing with another NFL this coming year on the start of his new long term contract of his sole choice. :thumb:

Talk about taking posts out of context..anyhoo if you think ONE owner of even the struggling franchises listed above is worse off than most of the players I have a waterfront property I can seel you in AZ too.

They OWN NFL TEAMS..they will not be in need should they have to go to the hospital or to pay mortgages etc.

Struggling franchises does not equate to poor owner who needs his paycheck week to week like MANY players do.

Talk about taking posts out of context..anyhoo if you think ONE owner of even the struggling franchises listed above is worse off than most of the players I have a waterfront property I can seel you in AZ too.

They OWN NFL TEAMS..they will not be in need should they have to go to the hospital or to pay mortgages etc.

Struggling franchises does not equate to poor owner who needs his paycheck week to week like MANY players do.

PAZ, not every owner is the well rounded businessman like Kraft and Jones. For some this is their only venture. And they rely heavily on the revenue sharing aspect of the league and the TV monies. All it takes is for 1 or 2 to start to crumble...

Hopefully this serves as a true wake-up for the players. The Brady's or Manning's don't have to worry. But someone like a Spikes, making decent money as a 2nd rounder but by no means secure for life can realize this whole thing can get pulled out from under him in an instant and he'll make responsible monetary decisions going forward to have a high quality of life.

"So, NFLPA, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

PAZ, not every owner is the well rounded businessman like Kraft and Jones. For some this is their only venture. And they rely heavily on the revenue sharing aspect of the league and the TV monies. All it takes is for 1 or 2 to start to crumble...

Hopefully this serves as a true wake-up for the players. The Brady's or Manning's don't have to worry. But someone like a Spikes, making decent money as a 2nd rounder but by no means secure for life can realize this whole thing can get pulled out from under him in an instant and he'll make responsible monetary decisions going forward to have a high quality of life.

I know Dwight but they are not going to be hurting anywhere near most of the journeyman type players is my only point.:)

ANd leave it to my DS to find a silver lining in this. :hug: +1

I know Dwight but they are not going to be hurting anywhere near most of the journeyman type players is my only point.:)

ANd leave it to my DS to find a silver lining in this. :hug: +1

This would assume that MOST of them haven't made good financial decisions.

I'd like to believe more of them than not have tucked away long-term monies.

Maybe I'm naive.

For every Cromartie I'd like to think there are a dozen Bruschi types.

:toast:

This would assume that MOST of them haven't made good financial decisions.

I'd like to believe more of them than not have tucked away long-term monies.

Maybe I'm naive.

For every Cromartie I'd like to think there are a dozen Bruschi types.

:toast:

You could be right I REALLy hope so! For them and their families. I even saw Brandon Jacobs while at the gym today talking about how he doesn't spend a lot because he has been saving for his family which surprised me a bit but made me happy.

There was some talk on NFLN about all the tendering of players going on lately, due to the NFL possibly having to go forward by abiding by past language in past contracts. Tendering ensures the teams will get value for players acquired after said contract.

There is also talk regarding all NFL coaching staffs taking a 50-75% pay cut after midnight tonight.

Does this stuff never end?

Well honestly, it would have ended before now if the owners provided their balance sheets and income statements to the PU to authenticate their actually paying 60% of their revenue to players. But just like the recent $4B TV monies legal finding by the NFL and owners breaching their PA contract, the NFL and owner will be making some massive concessions to the PA real soon. Also, the longer the lock out goes, the more $$$ owners loose, fans disgruntlement solidifies, etc. It is very sad I must add. But I will love to see after the lockout officially occurs, that Goodell's and Smith's 2011 total salaries will be $1 and $0.68 , respectively. :thumb:

You could be right I REALLy hope so! For them and their families. I even saw Brandon Jacobs while at the gym today talking about how he doesn't spend a lot because he has been saving for his family which surprised me a bit but made me happy.

Brandon Jacobs works out at the same facility as you?!?!?

eeek

LOL my poor diet-adled brain. :) No he was on ESPN on the TV there. I WISH!! heheeee

ROFL

Well I used to work out regularly with Mark Wahlberg's personal trainer/assistant's Brother in law, and Wahlberg would show up occasionally. Lifted right next to him 3-4 times. Nice guy.

ROFL

Well I used to work out regularly with Mark Wahlberg's personal trainer/assistant's Brother in law, and Wahlberg would show up occasionally. Lifted right next to him 3-4 times. Nice guy.

HUBBBA HUBBA..I just saw "Date Night" and he is another one of you amazing men who get BETTER with age.

I would most likely never see someone famous working out with me 'cause I put the headphones on and my "don't bother me I am not here to show you my cleavage" scowl when working out.>)

(WOW major hijack we are good!)

How much do you think the mortgage is on that stadium Kraft built, (along with Patriot Place)?

A short term shutdown and he's fine, but a long term shutdown . . .

:rolleyes:

How much do you think the mortgage is on that stadium Kraft built, (along with Patriot Place)?

A short term shutdown and he's fine, but a long term shutdown . . .

:rolleyes:

I don't know. I just feel overall people with LOTS of money know how to cushion themselves well and recover.

How many times has Trump filed for bankruptcy as an example? I have NO idea how much the personal wealth of Mr. Kraft or any owner is invested in each of their diverse business interests from Patriots Place to his paper mills and whatever else he has his hands in, but I DO know that the players are nowhere near as close to it. I am not on ANYONE's side about this just making a point that was alluded to in another thread that SOME players are ALREADY asking team mates for loans.

Have any of the owners done so yet?

Horse. Dead. And. Beaten.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41855264/ns/business-personal_finance/

Though a lockout has been threatened for years — and despite an apparent rise in the number of football stars safeguarding their millions — roughly 380 of the NFL's near 1,700 players still live paycheck to paycheck, according to financial experts familiar with the league.

Perhaps it’s the fear of going months without pay, or maybe it’s the notoriously high bankruptcy rate among retired NFL players — estimated at nearly 80 percent by Sports Illustrated

Such steps, Wilkes believes, help players survive during and after NFL careers that, on average, last just 3.3 seasons.

Despite that typically short taste of pro ball, more than 20 percent of NFL players live check to check and fail to put money into savings, both Wilkes and Piascik estimated.

For that fast-living slice of the league, “there’s going to be a shock factor” if the lockout interrupts their income, Piascik said.

If you are a football player in a D1 college you should be required to take economics as a Minor.

Paycheck to Paycheck. Then they need to learn to live with less. They are in either the 6 to 7 Figures Range. No they have to have the best and just because they have money they need to spend a lot of it. I never want to hear a football player complain about Money. They make More than a lot of people will see in there lifetime.

Back