TMQ's MVP: New England's Dan Koppen

cadmonkey

I have nothing useful to say....
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page...0104_tuesday_morning_quarterback&sportCat=nfl

pg2_tmq0104_576.jpg

Now let's switch to a positive topic: the coveted "longest award in sports," the Tuesday Morning Quarterback Non-Quarterback Non-Running Back NFL MVP.

The Associated Press is about to announce the formal MVP award, and there's just a tiny chance it will be won by a quarterback. Like the Heisman, the NFL MVP almost always goes to a quarterback or running back. Since the award began in 1957, all winners except defensive tackle Alan Page (1971), place-kicker Mark Moseley (1982) and linebacker Lawrence Taylor (1986) have been either quarterbacks or running backs. Football is a team sport, and generally 19 of the 22 players on the field are not quarterbacks or running backs. But these two positions monopolize recognition.

Quarterback and running back monopolize awards in part because, just like spectators, most sportswriters and sportscasters never look away from the ball. Ninety percent of football action occurs away from the ball -- but most who comment on football for a living never look there. TMQ keeps his eyes off the ball. You should try it sometime.

This season's Tuesday Morning Quarterback Non-Quarterback Non-Running Back NFL MVP is center Dan Koppen of New England. The Patriots are the league's best team, possessed of the league's best offense. New England led the NFL in scoring in the regular season, and showed terrific balance between rushing and passing. Superior offensive line play is one reason, with the Flying Elvii third best in sacks allowed. And everything that happens on the offensive line starts with the center.

Koppen entered the NFL in 2003 as a fifth-round draft choice out of Boston College. Since taking over at center for the Patriots in 2004, he has held the position, starting 119 of his past 120 games. He makes the Patriots' line calls and makes them well; Tom Brady stands unruffled in the pocket, brushing his hair, in part because New England has fewer botched blocking assignments than any other NFL team. Koppen was a key to New England's record-setting 2007 offensive season and has been a key to this season's seemingly unstoppable New England offense. He sometimes gets guard help, as all centers do. But you can watch a lot of Patriots film without seeing him beaten -- or giving up on a play.

Because sportscasters, and even many NFL players and coaches, rarely look away from the ball, offensive linemen make the Pro Bowl based on hype and reputation, not performance. New England guard Logan Mankins made the Pro Bowl this season, despite appearing in only nine games. Mankins is good but was selected for the 2010 Pro Bowl mainly because most football followers have no idea who's good on the offensive line and vote for whomever they voted for last season. Whom does Mankins play next to? Koppen, who makes all his offensive line teammates look good.

<<
Tom Brady stands unruffled in the pocket, brushing his hair, in part because New England has fewer botched blocking assignments than any other NFL team.
>>

LOL much as don't like Easterman that's quite a funny line.

Unfortunately he fails to point out that the reason Koppen is so good and that the line makes so few mistakes is due to Scar, the best Oline coach in the league.

Clearly the effort of a man who tries to be an elitest fan and fails horribly in that attempt.

This.

So well said.

I mean, come on - Mankins is the MVP of the OL, no doubt about it. (This coming from a guy who didn't want to give him a big contract). Koppen is a serviceable player for whom we should start looking for a replacement.

Even then, how is Koppen MVP over Vince, McCourty, Mayo or the TEs. He's probably our 4th most valuable offensive lineman, and about the 25th most valuable player on our team. Let alone the league.

Clearly the effort of a man who tries to be an elitest fan and fails horribly in that attempt.
I'm with Bradymanny-"This". I would also add puerile and mind-numbingly repetitive.

The guy is insufferable. I couldn't stomach him BEFORE his cameragate ramblings.

LOVE the Vince cover. Had heard on Dan Patrick he was on it. Can't wait to buy that one.

I think Koppen deserves some credit. The Pats line has been one of the best in the NFL and he's been the glue calling the line adjustments. He especially annoys me with the push he creates on a QB sneak. Never fails.

I would give it Mayo he been a beast this year. He is been nothing but a tackling machine.

I'd give MVP to Randy Moss and Larry Maroney.. :D

In Easterbrook's defence (yeah, I know...), he is making a point by giving the MVP award to a Centre and the principle is a good one. I take issue with the idea that Koppen's play has been that good; I recall Haloti Ngata, for one, getting the better of him on occasions.

He hates us with the fire of a thousand Marshall Faulks. But he's not as stoopid. He can't possibly believe this crap. He's just. f'ing with us. :coffee:

Cheers

Brady was sacked 25 times this year which is 9th in the league.....soooo......Per pass attempt this is the most brady has been sacked since 2002....soooo.....I don't get it.

Back