Upcoming new shows

Definitely positive.

The showrunner has a difficult job. It's a 700 page book (The Eye of the World) that Amazon only gave him 8 episodes to tell. On top of that, so much of Robert Jordan's writing of the story took place inside the character's thoughts. Very difficult to change medium on that.

It's a high quality, high budget production, that stays true to the spirit of the original story. The casting of the characters is damn near perfect.

So.... It's a different turning of the Wheel. Same overall story, but there are some changes that had to be made to tell it in ways that made sense.

Also watched with someone who hasn't read them, and they liked it very much.

Going to watch again today. I definitely recommend.
It's on the top of my list!

Arested Development, OH MY GOSH! So, darn funny. And let me add Schitt's Creek, another OH MY GOSH drop down funny show.
So based on this I started Schitt's Creek. I was pretty "meh" about it for awhile, but I was travelling a lot and it kept autoplaying. I do love Stevie. But Season 3 is great! It feels like the show really found itself. As far as understated side characters go, I have a man crush on Patrick, who can communicate insane amounts with tiny twitches of his face.

I have Witcher, Wheel of Time, and Magicians on my list now. And a couple others from this thread that aren't coming to mind...

I can't get into Schitts Creek. The daughter is hot, but, the mom is annoying. Always was. You said that season 3 is better? I never made it that far...

I can't get into Schitts Creek. The daughter is hot, but, the mom is annoying. Always was. You said that season 3 is better? I never made it that far...
I think they're all annoying, which is kind of the point. I wouldn't have made it to S3 myself but I fell asleep and Netflix autoplayed through the end of S1 and all of S2. In S3 there are actual plot and character arcs and the characters are less caricatures.

I never saw the appeal of Annie Murphy (the daughter) but she has another show which you might like if you like things a little off-kilter (and Boston sports/culture): Kevin Can F**k Himself.

So based on this I started Schitt's Creek. I was pretty "meh" about it for awhile, but I was travelling a lot and it kept autoplaying. I do love Stevie. But Season 3 is great! It feels like the show really found itself. As far as understated side characters go, I have a man crush on Patrick, who can communicate insane amounts with tiny twitches of his face.

I have Witcher, Wheel of Time, and Magicians on my list now. And a couple others from this thread that aren't coming to mind...
I love SC and I need to watch it from the beginning. Love, love and love that show. LOL

Patrick is awesome!

Anyone watch The North Water, I watched the first episode last night and it was a pretty brutal first episode, not sure I want to pay to see the rest of it.

Last edited:
Someone I respect recommended "Arcane" to me. It's a Netflix original, an animated series based on an online game I've heard of but know nothing about. So honestly, it started off with two strikes against it.

But a couple episodes in, I have to say I'm impressed so far. The (steampunk-adjacent?) world is complex, but there's not a ton of time spent on exposition and world-building. You're just thrown into it. The characters, thus far, seem to have nuanced personalities, emotional range, and actual reasons behind the things that they're doing. Wide range of characters, not only in the immutable characteristics that check the "diversity" box, but also in age (a welcome change) and ways of viewing and thinking about the world.

Strong voice talent: the lead is Hailee Steinfeld, who was a revelation in True Grit, holding her own across from one of the greatest actors of his generation. I've never heard of anyone else, but nothing is distracting or flat so far. Cool color palette used draws you into the realism while highlighting the extraordinary.

Still waiting to see the extent to which I'm pulled in by the story itself, but so far so good. It's a technology-based world, in which it seems like magic is being (re?)introduced within the technological construct. Like the Shadowrun conceit, but based on research rather than a shift in the nature of the world itself. Yet there do seem to be non-human characters that are fully accepted as having been part of the world historically, so who knows?

Anyway... interesting so far. Tons of potential. We'll see if they can deliver.

Someone I respect recommended "Arcane" to me. It's a Netflix original, an animated series based on an online game I've heard of but know nothing about. So honestly, it started off with two strikes against it.

But a couple episodes in, I have to say I'm impressed so far. The (steampunk-adjacent?) world is complex, but there's not a ton of time spent on exposition and world-building. You're just thrown into it. The characters, thus far, seem to have nuanced personalities, emotional range, and actual reasons behind the things that they're doing. Wide range of characters, not only in the immutable characteristics that check the "diversity" box, but also in age (a welcome change) and ways of viewing and thinking about the world.

Strong voice talent: the lead is Hailee Steinfeld, who was a revelation in True Grit, holding her own across from one of the greatest actors of his generation. I've never heard of anyone else, but nothing is distracting or flat so far. Cool color palette used draws you into the realism while highlighting the extraordinary.

Still waiting to see the extent to which I'm pulled in by the story itself, but so far so good. It's a technology-based world, in which it seems like magic is being (re?)introduced within the technological construct. Like the Shadowrun conceit, but based on research rather than a shift in the nature of the world itself. Yet there do seem to be non-human characters that are fully accepted as having been part of the world historically, so who knows?

Anyway... interesting so far. Tons of potential. We'll see if they can deliver.
It's on my list of shows to check out. It was recommended by the son. He is good at recommending shows to me he feels I will like.

I too never played the game but I really like the Arcane series too and I'm not the biggest fan of that type of animation. I like the whole mix of steampunk, scifi, and fantasy, and the points you mentioned. I hadn't realized Hailee Steinfeld was the voice of Vi and she does do a great job but I'm not surprised, that lady is mega talented.

That was going to be the gem I wanted to mention in here that maybe people haven't heard of, but since you stole my thunder I'll mention "My Name". It's a Netflix/Korean series, the plot is similar to say Infernal Affairs or The Departed but more revenge oriented. The lead actress and acting overall is great, and the fight scenes are brutal and realistic. I had no expectations when I watched the first episode and ended up binge watching it.

I too never played the game but I really like the Arcane series too and I'm not the biggest fan of that type of animation. I like the whole mix of steampunk, scifi, and fantasy, and the points you mentioned. I hadn't realized Hailee Steinfeld was the voice of Vi and she does do a great job but I'm not surprised, that lady is mega talented.

That was going to be the gem I wanted to mention in here that maybe people haven't heard of, but since you stole my thunder I'll mention "My Name". It's a Netflix/Korean series, the plot is similar to say Infernal Affairs or The Departed but more revenge oriented. The lead actress and acting overall is great, and the fight scenes are brutal and realistic. I had no expectations when I watched the first episode and ended up binge watching it.
I finished My Name and I am so ready for season two. I rarely binge shows, but this one, yeah, I was all the way in.

Have you watched Hellbound or Squid Games? I enjoyed both as well.

I finished My Name and I am so ready for season two. I rarely binge shows, but this one, yeah, I was all the way in.

Have you watched Hellbound or Squid Games? I enjoyed both as well.
Squid Games yes and I did very much like it but I actually liked Alice in Borderland more, very similar concepts. I found it more mysterious and intriguing which appealed to me more. I haven't seen Hellbound yet but I plan to. I enjoy a lot of Korean/Japanese stuff but man they just do not believe in happy endings, it's all so tragic.

Squid Games yes and I did very much like it but I actually liked Alice in Borderland more, very similar concepts. I found it more mysterious and intriguing which appealed to me more. I haven't seen Hellbound yet but I plan to. I enjoy a lot of Korean/Japanese stuff but man they just do not believe in happy endings, it's all so tragic.
I did enjoy AIB a lot as well. :)

Son has been harping on me watchng it and I am glad I watched it.

I just couldn't get started on Squid Games, but I keep hearing people talking about it. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

I'm very much enjoying Wheel of Time, which I'm surprised hasn't generated any discussions around here because I know we have some big fans. I'd never read much of it, so didn't have
any preconceived notions of what it should be like, but it looks beautiful and has some interesting characters. I think it is very serious in tone and could use a little more humor and fun, but, again,
I don't know if that was Jordan's original or the interpretation. I will say that the female-centric themes are starting to get under my skin. Of course, chicks have all the power and all the smarts, yadda-yadda and men just exist to kill spiders and give footrubs, but I'll stick with this one.

I just rewatched Season 1 of The Witcher and think it is one of the better fantasy things I've seen. Season 2 is coming out tomorrow 12/17, so I'm up to speed and looking forward to it. It's a
little like WOT in that most of the magic belongs to the Ladies, but it's more balanced and has a lot more humor. Henry Cavill is tremendous as Geralt of Rivia in the lead.

As a fan of the book series, I'm looking forward to a new "Jack Reacher" series coming to Amazon Prime on February 2nd. Starring Tom Cruise in the film version was a blunder because he's nothing like the Reacher character in any way. The series has to be better just because Cruise isn't in it.

I just couldn't get started on Squid Games, but I keep hearing people talking about it. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

I'm very much enjoying Wheel of Time, which I'm surprised hasn't generated any discussions around here because I know we have some big fans. I'd never read much of it, so didn't have
any preconceived notions of what it should be like, but it looks beautiful and has some interesting characters. I think it is very serious in tone and could use a little more humor and fun, but, again,
I don't know if that was Jordan's original or the interpretation. I will say that the female-centric themes are starting to get under my skin. Of course, chicks have all the power and all the smarts, yadda-yadda and men just exist to kill spiders and give footrubs, but I'll stick with this one.

I just rewatched Season 1 of The Witcher and think it is one of the better fantasy things I've seen. Season 2 is coming out tomorrow 12/17, so I'm up to speed and looking forward to it. It's a
little like WOT in that most of the magic belongs to the Ladies, but it's more balanced and has a lot more humor. Henry Cavill is tremendous as Geralt of Rivia in the lead.

As a fan of the book series, I'm looking forward to a new "Jack Reacher" series coming to Amazon Prime on February 2nd. Starring Tom Cruise in the film version was a blunder because he's nothing like the Reacher character in any way. The series has to be better just because Cruise isn't in it.
I have tried to Witcher, like you and SG, I could not do this show. But if you are going to try SQ again, I will try Witcher again also.

Jack Reacher, I am not caught up but excited.

Hubby read all of the JR books, when he found out who was playing JR he was not happy especially since how this person is described in the books compared to the movies is night and day. I am pretty sure Childs could not have been a fan

Hawg,

Ive been waiting years for WOT. I am glad to hear that you like it. I have read and re-read the entire series multiple times.

The show has its issues, but most of them have been caused by unrealistic expectations from book readers, and not quite enough budget from Amazon. Rafe (the showrunner) wanted 10 episodes with a 2 hour pilot. Amazon and Sony gave him 8 one hours. So much had to be cut and condensed and changed. There is an entire city and everything that happened in it cut.

Anyway, the show IS a bit darker in tone from the book which was written more than 30 years ago now. But grimdark is all the rage. Brandon Sanderson (the author that helped to finish WOT after Jordan's passing) is a consulting producer and always pushing for those book things like the humor.

What's important is the characters are spot on. They are the book characters for the most part. Especially Zoe Robbins as Nynaeve. It's a different turning of the wheel from the books, but the characters and casting are perfect.

It's so important that non readers like you like it for the show's future. Season 2 was greenlit and in production before season 1 aired.

Hopefully with enough views and enough positive reviews, Amazon gives them more episodes so there is more time for the characters to breathe and let their humor come through more.

The matriarchal themes were there in the books too, but more subdoed. Like the Two Rivers wasn't Matriarchal. They had the Women's Circle with Nynaeve at their head like the show, but Bran al'Vere (Egwene's father) was the town mayor. There were things that were women's circle business and things that were council business.

I am confident that after season one, we will see more men in power.

I've enjoyed WOT so far as well. I don't have a ton of commentary or analysis except that Rosamund Pike still gives me the willies ever since Gone Girl, and I always view her as ready to stab everyone in the back at all times. That movie kind of poisoned her as an actress for me.

Hated Squid Games, and Schitt's Creek burned out badly for me. Didn't like The Magicians. Looking forward to Reacher.

Do we have a book recommendation thread? I thought we did, but couldn't find it at a glance...

Back