Upcoming new shows

Do we have a book recommendation thread? I thought we did, but couldn't find it at a glance...

Try that one. Muse just bumped it, which was helpful, because our search function isn't the best. Or I suck at it. One or the other.

As an aside, I joined a book club with some friends so-called The Gentlemen's Book Club. We started it during the lockdown but saw no reason to disband since
it has been fun to meet on zoom once a month and talk about our feelings. About the books, of course.

The only rules have been no self-help books.

Some of the more memorable have been:

The Great Alone, The Undoing Project, The Billion Dollar Spy, The Poisoner's Handbook, Dark Tide (the Boston Molasses Flood) and the Tattooist of Auschwitz. You could google and see if one grabs you. Each has their merits for different reasons.

It's not a genre I read normally but I am enjoying it.
It is for me, I read the LOTR and Hobbit books about 15 times as a young boy/teenager. I was also a big fan of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and The Chronicles of Amber. I also was a big Heinlein fan in my youth. Sci Fi and Fantasy are my jam!

So glad you guys love it. I just finished episode 7. Woo boy.

Muse, you still reading them?

This the books or shows thread :coffee:

not "new" but The Witcher Season 2 starts Dec 17th I hear

Just saw the trailer for the long awaited, by many, Halo series based on the universe inhabited by the Master Chief and Cortana of XBox fame.

Looking forward to this one as I find most shows at the moment of little interest.

Just saw the trailer for the long awaited, by many, Halo series based on the universe inhabited by the Master Chief and Cortana of XBox fame.

Looking forward to this one as I find most shows at the moment of little interest.
I've never played a minute of Halo but looking forward to it as well being a SciFi nut. Visually it looks outstanding, hopefully the story, acting etc is at least decent. I'm looking forward to the Boba Fett series starting at the end of this month too.

WOT was… okay.
I’m never a fan when a show departs from the original book series. Perrin wasn’t married until late in the series, Morraine didn’t have a romantic relationship with Siuan, etc.

The world is great, and Lan is awesome. Rand is poorly cast, though. He’s way too whiny and weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WOT was… okay.
I’m never a fan when a show departs from the original book series. Perrin wasn’t married until late in the series, Morraine didn’t have a romantic relationship with Siuan, etc.

The world is great, and Lan is awesome. Rand is poorly cast, though. He’s way too whiny and weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Didn't read them, have been on my "books to get to" for awhile now.

Agree that they should have just gotten a time machine and cast an 18 year old Will Wheton as Rand. Same effect. Without a bitchin' character arc, it's going to be a tough sell with him as protagonist.

I thoroughly enjoyed this show. Than they moved it to Paramount plus which is a pay channel which we won't do for now.
I saw it because I use Paramount plus for the local CBS station to watch the Pats. 6 bucks a month through Amazon and the only pay station I have. Except of course my 120 bucks a year to Bezos.

I saw it because I use Paramount plus for the local CBS station to watch the Pats. 6 bucks a month through Amazon and the only pay station I have. Except of course my 120 bucks a year to Bezos.
If I remember right Amazon prime is going up ito $139. We have other streaming services so hence no Paramount Plus

I'm a fan of Lee Child's book series featuring Jack Reacher and have probably read or listened to a dozen or more.

For those unfamiliar, Reacher is an ex-military cop/detective who retired and spends his time traveling the US with the clothes on
his back and walking-around cash. No luggage or credit cards, Reacher is a tumbleweed that follows a whim to visit a place
and inevitably gets in trouble with local scumbags and each small town seems to hide sinister secrets that he is the only person
with the balls, brains and brawn to uncover. Formulaic? Sure they are, but fans of the books don't care. It's a solid formula
and the books seldom seem repetitive to their devotees.

Anyhow, there were several movies done based on the books starring Tom Cruise as Reacher, which was the worst bit of casting ever
since Jack is 6'5" and Cruise is about 5'6" and a douchebag. The films weren't entirely awful, but they and he did not do the series justice.

However......

Amazon Prime just released a series called "Reacher" and my wife and I got hooked instantly. Way better than the films and the
star, Alan Ritchson makes a very satisfactory Jack Reacher. My wife dreamt last night that she was married to him. He's absolutely
jacked and a giant. It's violent, funny and complex. Plenty of twists and turns, action and a good cast. Season 2 hasn't been announced,
but it's a safe bet to be picked up as it's been very successful.

Little to no politically correct bullshit, either, which is worth noting these days when recommending series on streaming platforms.

I'm a fan of Lee Child's book series featuring Jack Reacher and have probably read or listened to a dozen or more.

For those unfamiliar, Reacher is an ex-military cop/detective who retired and spends his time traveling the US with the clothes on
his back and walking-around cash. No luggage or credit cards, Reacher is a tumbleweed that follows a whim to visit a place
and inevitably gets in trouble with local scumbags and each small town seems to hide sinister secrets that he is the only person
with the balls, brains and brawn to uncover. Formulaic? Sure they are, but fans of the books don't care. It's a solid formula but
and books seldom seem repetitive to their devotees.

Anyhow, there were several movies done based on the books series starring Tom Cruise as Reacher, which was the worst bit of casting ever
since Jack is 6'5" and Cruise is about 5'6" and a douchebag. The films weren't entirely awful, but they and he did not do the series justice.

However......

Amazon Prime just released a series called "Reacher" and my wife and I got hooked instantly. Way better than the films and the
star, Alan Ritchson makes a very satisfactory Jack Reacher. My wife dreamt last night that she was married to him. He's absolutely
jacked and a giant. It's violent, funny and complex. Plenty of twists and turns, action and a good cast. Season 2 hasn't been announced,
but it's a safe bet to be picked up as it's been very successful.

Little to no politically correct bullshit, either, which is worth noting these days when recommending series on streaming platforms.
They finally have an actor that physically portrays the character from the book accurately was what I said to the TV.

This actor played Hawk on Titans. He did a marvelous job. But happy to see him as Reacher. That has been a complaint of ours for years. Alan is nailing it.

Back