Vereen

rivshark86

Reaction score
Is anyone eles concerned about his inabilty to get on the field for a regular season game? I was worried about this early in the spring, but he seemed to be allright in training camp until this latest injury. If the guy is injured 80 percent of the time is he really worth a roster spot?
Some reports I have been reading say he has fallen out of favor with the coaches. Has anyone heard if these are accurate? I was really excited about this guy last year, and in theory he could be a great complement to Ridley. I loved hearing him talk about how seriously he takes being a pass blocker. Hopefully this latest injury is not something that lingers all season. Im not very optimistic though given his history. The team needs him. I know everyone is high on Ridley, but is he has never had full workload over the course of a full season, and injuries happen.

Is anyone eles concerned about his inabilty to get on the field for a regular season game? I was worried about this early in the spring, but he seemed to be allright in training camp until this latest injury. If the guy is injured 80 percent of the time is he really worth a roster spot?
Some reports I have been reading say he has fallen out of favor with the coaches. Has anyone heard if these are accurate? I was really excited about this guy last year, and in theory he could be a great complement to Ridley. I loved hearing him talk about how seriously he takes being a pass blocker. Hopefully this latest injury is not something that lingers all season. Im not very optimistic though given his history. The team needs him. I know everyone is high on Ridley, but is he has never had full workload over the course of a full season, and injuries happen.

Given that when he got injured this preseason Tom Brady rolled his eyes as Vereen limped off the field, I'm thinking they might not be happy with his constant injuries.

Personally, I think Bolden is the guy.

He's getting a china doll rep and it does have me concerned. I think if this were his 3rd yr instead of his 2nd yr, he would be looked at more critically by BB.

The jury is still out on Vereen. Look no further than the other side of the ball with guys like Cunningham and Brace for high expectation guys slowed by injury in their first years as Patriots. But potentially on the verge of turning that around and becoming productive players.

IMO, Vereen deserves a little more time and patience. But the productivity and health of the other backs in the backfield may weigh in on how much time and patience. Wait and see mode.

I mostly think of Vereen as having the potential to develop into a bigger, stronger version of Woodhead (Vereen put up 31 reps at the Combine). Woodhead is still here (though in his contract year), so Vereen probably has at least this season to "make good" on his potential by getting/staying healthy and contributing something.

Ridley, to me, is potentially the sort of "do it all" feature back and likely would have been the starter all along unless he completely face-planted in camp.

Bolden, IMO, leans toward the BGE/plodder side - not quite as powerful as BGE, but with a bit more burst and cutting ability and, at the moment, I'd cast him more or less as Ridley's backup (time-sharing with Woodhead), role-wise, though Bolden would be a significant downgrade. IOW, I'm doubting that Vereen, even if completely healthy, would be a direct, one-to-one substitution for an injured Ridley.

Even so, I suspect that we'll hear about some more FA RB workouts in the next couple weeks if Vereen doesn't recover soon. Kahlil Bell wouldn't be the worst option if it looks like Vereen may be out awhile.

Vereen's current injury is listed as "foot", which could be anything from a minor sprain/bruise to turf toe to a Lisfranc thing. If it's something like the latter and sufficiently severe, he might be an IR candidate again (likely for surgery) - after which, I'd have to consider him squarely on the bubble for 2013. There are simply too many young guys available very year who, though they may have a much lower ceiling than Vereen, might still be able to contribute more than an "empty seat."

However, this is all speculation and getting way ahead of things. Vereen may be fine by Week-2, stay healthy, and begin with a small role next week that grows from there over the course of the season.

Sometimes I think a talented guy will get a rep for being a baby and that rep has more basis in simple bad luck than any lack of intestinal fortitude on the part of the player.

I think of Jacoby Ellsbury as a prime example of a superb athlete for who the bulk of the time he has missed in Boston happened due to two serious collisions and everybody wanted to run him out of town. I mean...it wasn't like he was J.D. Drew missing a week here and a month there over shady muscle pulls and flimsy assaches for the bulk of his career. Big difference, imo. Anybody that wants to rip J.D. can be my guest.

I think Vereen might be a little snake-bit at this early point in his career and he actually impressed me over the preseason with a better ability to run between the tackles than I thought. He isn't a huge guy, but stronger and more physical than at first glance.

It's frustrating, but I don't think anybody should be pointing at the kid and calling him a pussy yet. He's got game, so let's hope he has a chance to display his skills and help this team do what it does best-- win football games.

Sometimes I think a talented guy will get a rep for being a baby and that rep has more basis in simple bad luck than any lack of intestinal fortitude on the part of the player.

I think of Jacoby Ellsbury as a prime example of a superb athlete for who the bulk of the time he has missed in Boston happened due to two serious collisions and everybody wanted to run him out of town. I mean...it wasn't like he was J.D. Drew missing a week here and a month there over shady muscle pulls and flimsy assaches for the bulk of his career. Big difference, imo. Anybody that wants to rip J.D. can be my guest.

I think Vereen might be a little snake-bit at this early point in his career and he actually impressed me over the preseason with a better ability to run between the tackles than I thought. He isn't a huge guy, but stronger and more physical than at first glance.

It's frustrating, but I don't think anybody should be pointing at the kid and calling him a pussy yet. He's got game, so let's hope he has a chance to display his skills and help this team do what it does best-- win football games.

This.

It's about how hard they work to get back and how hard they play when they do.

On the one hand, Stephen Neal spent a lot of time on IR in his first couple years and turned out okay. Chung and Spikes have both missed time, but certainly made an impact when they got healthy.

OTOH, there's guys like Crable and Barrett.

Admittedly, there are probably more guys than not who missed a lot of games early on and then never amounted to much, but it's pretty early to put Vereen into that category.

I just hope his injuries are due to bad luck, and not bad genes or bad work habits.

But then again, I'll always be biased toward Cal players, even Marshawn :weed: Lynch.

This.

It's about how hard they work to get back and how hard they play when they do.

On the one hand, Stephen Neal spent a lot of time on IR in his first couple years and turned out okay. Chung and Spikes have both missed time, but certainly made an impact when they got healthy.

OTOH, there's guys like Crable and Barrett.

Admittedly, there are probably more guys than not who missed a lot of games early on and then never amounted to much, but it's pretty early to put Vereen into that category.
To me, Crable is a good guy to compare to Vereen (and Taylor Price is another one). They both got a lot of hype for showing a little bit in a preseason game (mostly in the second half against guys who likely weren't good good enough to make a roster).

When he gets in against first stringers and shows something, then I'll get on the train.

Vereen looked awfully expendable today, although to be fair, not many passes to RBs today.

Well that's the thing, and that's what makes Shane "Maroney (made of glass)" Vereen being hurt...again...not a huge deal.

They really haven't thrown to RBs other than Kevin Faulk for a very long time.

And of course he is a scratch for today's game as well. Seems his roster spot could be used for someone who can actually make it to the field. What good is he if he fills a spot that never produces anything?

I know that the Patriots' coaching staff is probably just protecting him, as there's no true need at this point, but man, this guy is a frickin' china doll. I truly want him to succeed, but he's making it tough.

He is Crable II in my eyes. I truly hope he can play to his potential, though.

He is Reminds me of Maroney . A lot of speed but just cant stay healthily. At least we were able too see Maroney play in a some NFL games. He did love to dance in the back field.

Back