Vrabel 'confused' by trade from Patriots to Chiefs

Wandering Athol

Blood in the streets it's up to my ankle
Reaction score
Don't really know what to make of this, if anything.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle...-by-trade-from-patriots-to-chiefs.html?csp=34
New Chiefs LB Mike Vrabel said he was "confused" when the Patriots traded him to Kansas City earlier this offseason.

Vrabel skipped the team's voluntary workout sessions but reported for a mandatory minicamp on Friday.

"I’m here. I didn’t sign up. There’s a difference in this league in being a free agent and being traded," Vrabel said, via the Kansas City Star. "I don’t know what to tell you. I got a call in March, and here I am."

Vrabel, a 12-year veteran who spent the past eight seasons in New England, clarified that he's not upset with being a member of the Chiefs.

"Don’t confuse that I’m not excited to be here, because I’m here and I’m happy," he said. "I want to be here."

[...]

Vrabel said not to read anything into his absence from the voluntary OTAs. He said he wanted to take advantage of his right not to participate in the voluntary workouts.

"I was just trying to exercise my rights within the CBA," Vrabel said. "I’m happy as heck to be here right now."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Completely speculating here, but I really am starting to wonder if Vrabel and the Pats (BB in particular) split on bad terms, and whether his role as player rep had something to do with it. :shrug:

I remember when he got traded he said something like, "It just shows that one day you can be playing for the New England Patriots and the next you can end up with the Chiefs." ROFL

I think he's still pissed he got traded. Wouldn't you be?

Shoulda come up with more than 4 sacks last year Vrabes.

Or you should have played for the Red Sox. You'd get standing ovations.

He was traded because he's too strongly union-minded. He was trying to insist that the players deserved revenue from Patriots place businesses (the way they get a piece of Pro Shop sales). Although they are entitled to revenues deemed football-related, Vrabes argued that every business with the Patriot Place complex was "football related" due to the "Patriot Place" moniker. Totally a political move by Kraft.

He was traded because he's too strongly union-minded. He was trying to insist that the players deserved revenue from Patriots place businesses (the way they get a piece of Pro Shop sales). Although they are entitled to revenues deemed football-related, Vrabes argued that every business with the Patriot Place complex was "football related" due to the "Patriot Place" moniker. Totally a political move by Kraft.
Is this speculation? Do you have some inside knowledge?

What you wrote sounds like it might be right because from a football perspective, it's hard to see how trading Vrabel and his $4 mm contract made sense unless Pioli would only do the Cassel deal if he got Vrabes.

Right now, the Pats don't have much experience at OLB and even if they kept Vrabel, I think they could have used some more help at that position. As it stands, they are putting a lot of confidence in guys who haven't shown in yet in the NFL.

So given that mix, your theory could be right. But again, I'm interested to know if you're just connecting the dots or if it's something more than that.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle...-by-trade-from-patriots-to-chiefs.html?csp=34
New Chiefs LB Mike Vrabel said he was "confused" when the Patriots traded him to Kansas City earlier this offseason.

Vrabel skipped the team's voluntary workout sessions but reported for a mandatory minicamp on Friday.

"I’m here. I didn’t sign up. There’s a difference in this league in being a free agent and being traded," Vrabel said, via the Kansas City Star. "I don’t know what to tell you. I got a call in March, and here I am."

Vrabel, a 12-year veteran who spent the past eight seasons in New England, clarified that he's not upset with being a member of the Chiefs.

"Don’t confuse that I’m not excited to be here, because I’m here and I’m happy," he said. "I want to be here."

[...]

Vrabel said not to read anything into his absence from the voluntary OTAs. He said he wanted to take advantage of his right not to participate in the voluntary workouts.

"I was just trying to exercise my rights within the CBA," Vrabel said. "I’m happy as heck to be here right now."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Completely speculating here, but I really am starting to wonder if Vrabel and the Pats (BB in particular) split on bad terms, and whether his role as player rep had something to do with it. :shrug:

He sounds thrilled to be in KC. LOL. Personally, I think they got rid of him at the right time.

:sulk::sulk:

I still can't cope with the fact that he is gone.

So if Vrabel invested his money and became a billionaire he's going to share his money with Kraft and his teammates?

Reactions: Ras
Shoulda come up with more than 4 sacks last year Vrabes.

Or you should have played for the Red Sox. You'd get standing ovations.

Well played sir

I can haz celery cap dumps

So if Vrabel invested his money and became a billionaire he's going to share his money with Kraft and his teammates?

THIS (apologies to DS)

Is this speculation? Do you have some inside knowledge?

What you wrote sounds like it might be right because from a football perspective, it's hard to see how trading Vrabel and his $4 mm contract made sense unless Pioli would only do the Cassel deal if he got Vrabes.

Right now, the Pats don't have much experience at OLB and even if they kept Vrabel, I think they could have used some more help at that position. As it stands, they are putting a lot of confidence in guys who haven't shown in yet in the NFL.

So given that mix, your theory could be right. But again, I'm interested to know if you're just connecting the dots or if it's something more than that.

I have been informed of this by an insider. Vrabes was pushing the issue and it would have ended up in arbitration. If he's no longer a member of the Patriots, he no longer has a case. One of the few examples I'm aware of of Kraft getting involved in personnel, but it would have been a huge pain in the ass for him. Especially with Patriot Place not proving to be the windfall which was expected. Not sure where Light stands on the issue, but I personally thought (and I will admit I am somewhat anti-union biased), that his case was weak. Really, player revenue from Godiva chocolates? It was a stretch of a claim at best.

I have been informed of this by an insider. Vrabes was pushing the issue and it would have ended up in arbitration. If he's no longer a member of the Patriots, he no longer has a case. One of the few examples I'm aware of of Kraft getting involved in personnel, but it would have been a huge pain in the ass for him. Especially with Patriot Place not proving to be the windfall which was expected. Not sure where Light stands on the issue, but I personally though (and I will admit I am somewhat anti-union biased), that his case was weak. Really, player revenue from Godiva chocolates? It was a stretch of a claim at best.
wouldn't he be able to push harder now? I mean he is not part of the team but lost wages are still lost wages so why not really push the envelope and go after the whole thing...it is not like Patriot players would exclusively benefit from it, it would be a league wide gain that would raise the salary cap still getting Vrabel or future Vrabel's more money

wouldn't he be able to push harder now? I mean he is not part of the team but lost wages are still lost wages so why not really push the envelope and go after the whole thing...it is not like Patriot players would exclusively benefit from it, it would be a league wide gain that would raise the salary cap still getting Vrabel or future Vrabel's more money

Not sure of the intracacies of the CBA, but it is not a league wide thing. Players get a piece of things like ProShop sales and ticket revenue because it is a direct reflection of the team's popularity, i.e. it's an incentive. Pats players get more of the action then say Lions players because we're selling more jerseys. It's team-revenue sharing as oppossed to league revenue sharing (which the owners do engage in obviously, but that is distinct). So dealing Vrabes, he can no longer claim any right to Pats retail revenue.

Not sure of the intracacies of the CBA, but it is not a league wide thing. Players get a piece of things like ProShop sales and ticket revenue because it is a direct reflection of the team's popularity, i.e. it's an incentive. Pats players get more of the action then say Lions players because we're selling more jerseys. It's team-revenue sharing as oppossed to league revenue sharing (which the owners do engage in obviously, but that is distinct). So dealing Vrabes, he can no longer claim any right to Pats retail revenue.
not sure either, I just assumed that all NFL brand merchandise went into the profits and that 5 of which set the cap

so based on that if you add Patriots Place - along with all the new stadiums being built off of its model you may raise the cap and get players more coin

not sure either, I just assumed that all NFL brand merchandise went into the profits and that 5 of which set the cap

so based on that if you add Patriots Place - along with all the new stadiums being built off of its model you may raise the cap and get players more coin

Again, not positive on the details, but I believe you are correct, but the issue is distinct. Pats revenues are shared with other teams in the NFL - but specific "football related" revenues are also shared with the players of each individual team. So Pats players are getting more from Proshop sales, stadium revenue etc., just as Kraft is contributing more to the collective NFL revenue sharing due to the fact that the Patriots as an organization are generating more monies.

[...]

WA, I read some of his Boston media reported initial comments to the trade as being relatively acquiescent to "the facts of life" as an aging NFL veteran

these quotes above seem more parsed & stridently Union-speak especially in light of the upcoming CBA showdown --- I think Vrabel is continuing his public posture as a Union proponent w/ a KC helmet on now as well as possibly positioning himself to finding a role w/ the Players Assoc. after his career is over

his flagging performance & salary cap ramifications had way more to do w/ his release by BB than him "pissing off" Bob Kraft over PatriotPlace, IMO BTW

Again, not positive on the details, but I believe you are correct, but the issue is distinct. Pats revenues are shared with other teams in the NFL - but specific "football related" revenues are also shared with the players of each individual team. So Pats players are getting more from Proshop sales, stadium revenue etc., just as Kraft is contributing more to the collective NFL revenue sharing due to the fact that the Patriots as an organization are generating more monies.

The salary cap is a set limit equal for all teams. The player's contracts are of a set value for each player to fit under said cap. So I don't see how the players of the Pats for instance are benefitting any more than players in some God-forsaken hell hole like the Bungles.

The salary cap is a set limit equal for all teams. The player's contracts are of a set value for each player to fit under said cap. So I don't see how the players of the Pats for instance are benefitting any more than players in some God-forsaken hell hole like the Bungles.

yeah I thought that too, I thought all nfl brand name sales went into one giant pool with the Bungles getting and even share with the Pats or cowboys or Raiders or Bills or whomever

yeah I thought that too, I thought all nfl brand name sales went into one giant pool with the Bungles getting and even share with the Pats or cowboys or Raiders or Bills or whomever

They do.

All NFL apparel/merchandise sales are tabulated and distributed equally in regards to the salary cap value.

So teams with historically excellent sales(Pats, Cowboys, etc.) don't get any advantage over some clown that decides to wear a Bengals jersey.

Back