Week 13 Gamete Thread - @Bills, Mon Dec 6th, 8:15pm EST

The idea as well that he has hit his ceiling is just absolutely ridiculous. There's two ways to take that, and neither of them work:

1) He CAN'T improve. It's physically impossible for him to develop a stronger arm, to improve his athleticism or pocket presence, accuracy, throwing mechanics, or timing. It's mentally impossible for him to learn and grow, to better understand the offense, his receivers, the defensive players around the league, schemes and tendencies, or situational football. Despite playing only a dozen games in his career, it's IMPOSSIBLE for him to ever get better before he retires. Obviously such an assertion is rubbish. No one is ever a finished product. We improve via effort and experience, and the amount of both poured into him as a football player will grow, not shrink, over time. Ergo, he can improve.

2) He WON'T improve. Despite it being possible, he's at the peak of his career. Even though he went from a passer rating of 87.1 in his first 4 games to a passer rating of 111.7 in his last 4, and despite it being possible for him to improve, he won't any further. The greatest coach of all time? Doesn't matter, wasted on him. His universally praised intelligence and work ethic? It'll amount to nothing, his progress will stop immediately. The roster surrounding him? It'll never perform above its current level. This to me is the even more insane assertion, as it flies directly in the face of all available evidence. It's like watching a fire spread and saying as the kitchen goes up "yeah but it won't spread any further from here". As Chevs said, we've seen nothing BUT improvement, why on Earth would we think it'll stop now?

Just look at Josh Allen. These comments from Belichick: “Where it was three years ago, completion percentage, passer rating, decision making, production, it has just gone up. It’s risen at a really remarkable rate. It’s just remarkable how good he has become. Last year, this year, he’s built on that, what it was when he came into the league, but he’s really made tremendous improvement and has a lot of command of the offense … He doesn’t get fooled much by anything. It’s really, really impressive to watch how he’s developed there.” What evidence is there that coaches around the league won't be saying exactly the same thing about Mac Jones 3 years from now? Which, considering how much better he is than Josh Allan as a rookie, is understandably terrifying to the rest of the league, but even with that the idea he's hit his ceiling is a fantasy bordering on delusion. All they're really saying is "I sure Hope he doesn't improve further, or else my team is in a lot of trouble!"

This is not a video game. Players aren't balanced against each other. Just because one is way stronger out of the gate, doesn't mean his growth attributes get nerfed or an artificial ceiling gets imposed to ensure all other choices are equally viable. Do you know the rookie who has had the single greatest improvement between his first 4 games and most recent 4 games? I honestly had no idea, so I looked it up. Trevor Lawrence, the #1 overall pick, went from a passer rating average of 67.9 in his first 4 games to 69.6 in his most recent 4 (an improvement of 1.7 points). Zach Wilson went from an average of 64.9 to a whopping 73.1, an improvement of 8.2 points. The rest of the rookies can't even make it into the starting lineup. But yeah, Mac Jones, who went from 87.1 to 111.7, an improvement of 24.6 points, is the one who can't or won't improve. :coffee:

Yeah the Pats went with the 1 year plan instead of the Bills 25 year plan of doing it the "right" way(who have yet to win anything), congratulations. I guess after losing so many players(and coaches) to FA the last 20 years the Pats decided to flip the script in a one year extravaganza. Which more often than not fails miserably except the only other time the Pats did similar in 2001, and we know how that ended and how the next 20 years went. Don't worry though, I don't think BB has another 20 years in him.
And I wonder who thinks that in the year where the whole league was cap cash empty that the Pats were just Lucky to end up Cap cash filthy rich?

Cheers

If McDermott is smart he will sell out to stop our running game and put the game on Mac's shoulders. That's what I'd do in his position.
In that case, McD will still run enough to keep it legit but use the short passing game with PA to move the chains just as if he were running the ball.
Imo, Mac has shown enough poise to pull it off plus make some chunk throws along the way.

What do you think?
Josh McDaniels is going to need to call a better game anticipating that. The last couple of games he's called it as if the blitz didn't exist.

Vegas betting.
66% of the money is on Pats to win.
70% of the tickets are on the Patriots.
Not really a surprise, they're Dogs, and ESPN has had them in heavy rotation for the last 3 weeks. I'd love to know where the sharps money went though.

Lol. Anyone who thinks that a rookie is already at their ceiling are uneducated schmucks.
And even hinting at that idea lumps you in with them. No one with any intelligence thinks that Mac can’t improve his arm strength, for example. Just like Brady did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's called 'wishful thinking'.

I know that to which you are referring but this was from our last game with you guys in which you got blown out 38-9.

NFL nation got a lot of mileage out of that one thanks to us.

View: https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1343753070258348034

You really looking forward to playing a bill Belichick coach team again after that?

Do you know what Mark Twain said about common sense?

He said "it isn't all that common".

Do you know who the 2nd most winning head coach in Buffalo is since 1990 @Foxx?

And I wonder who thinks that in the year where the whole league was cap cash empty that the Pats were just Lucky to end up Cap cash filthy rich?

Cheers
I think you knew who thought that and I see what you did there lol

~Dee~

Anyone notice that the Bills fans are relying on the weather and "last year" and all these irrelevant things? It's just fear and the crumbling of the pressure like I haven't seen in a long time.
They have this weird cockiness and arrogance but what they say doesn't really match a fanbase that has confidence.

The Steelers won the AFC North last year.
Of course they did. I guess I was really impressed they made the playoffs AND won a game.

Sorry, Foxx, for comparing the Browns terrible playoff record to that of the Bills. Prior to 2020, the last time the Browns won a playoff game was 2002. The Bills must have won a lot of playoff games between 2002 and 2020, unlike those loser Browns

Do you know who the 2nd most winning head coach in Buffalo is since 1990 @Foxx?
That is just one sick, embarrassing stat. But then, Bills head coaches have had a rough time of it. 20 HCs, 5 winning records:
CoachWLTW-L%
Sean McDermott
45​
30​
0​
0.6​
Anthony Lynn
0​
1​
0​
0​
Rex Ryan
15​
16​
0​
0.484​
Doug Marrone
15​
17​
0​
0.469​
Chan Gailey
16​
32​
0​
0.333​
Perry Fewell
3​
4​
0​
0.429​
Dick Jauron
24​
33​
0​
0.421​
Mike Mularkey
14​
18​
0​
0.438​
Gregg Williams
17​
31​
0​
0.354​
Wade Phillips
29​
19​
0​
0.604​
Marv Levy+
112​
70​
0​
0.615​
Hank Bullough
4​
17​
0​
0.19​
Kay Stephenson
10​
26​
0​
0.278​
Chuck Knox
37​
36​
0​
0.507​
Jim Ringo+
3​
20​
0​
0.13​
Lou Saban
68​
45​
4​
0.601​
Harvey Johnson
2​
23​
1​
0.08​
John Rauch
7​
20​
1​
0.259​
Joe Collier
13​
16​
1​
0.448​
Buster Ramsey
11​
16​
1​
0.407​
sorry about the formatting.

Mac Jones is on a similar path as Tom Brady...only at a faster transformation rate. Obviously, Jones was a 1st round pick to Brady's 6th round. Both QB's were clearly overlooked and undersold. Both are smart, efficient, effective, and productive. Jones can absolutely work on all of his shortcomings and improve.

That is just one sick, embarrassing stat. But then, Bills head coaches have had a rough time of it. 20 HCs, 5 winning records:
CoachWLTW-L%
Sean McDermott
45​
30​
0​
0.6​
Anthony Lynn
0​
1​
0​
0​
Rex Ryan
15​
16​
0​
0.484​
Doug Marrone
15​
17​
0​
0.469​
Chan Gailey
16​
32​
0​
0.333​
Perry Fewell
3​
4​
0​
0.429​
Dick Jauron
24​
33​
0​
0.421​
Mike Mularkey
14​
18​
0​
0.438​
Gregg Williams
17​
31​
0​
0.354​
Wade Phillips
29​
19​
0​
0.604​
Marv Levy+
112​
70​
0​
0.615​
Hank Bullough
4​
17​
0​
0.19​
Kay Stephenson
10​
26​
0​
0.278​
Chuck Knox
37​
36​
0​
0.507​
Jim Ringo+
3​
20​
0​
0.13​
Lou Saban
68​
45​
4​
0.601​
Harvey Johnson
2​
23​
1​
0.08​
John Rauch
7​
20​
1​
0.259​
Joe Collier
13​
16​
1​
0.448​
Buster Ramsey
11​
16​
1​
0.407​
I think McDermott is a very good coach. He'll end up being one of the Bills best coaches.

The Steelers won the AFC North last year.

They're in 3rd place now. "We do what we do."
We're seeing the last of Ben as a Steeler. He's let it be known he's not coming back next year.
Today vs the Ravens could actually be his last game because if they lose any playoffs hopes go out the window.
The Steelers need to find out what Dwayne Haskins can do in a game to prep for the next draft.

Not really a surprise, they're Dogs, and ESPN has had them in heavy rotation for the last 3 weeks. I'd love to know where the sharps money went though.

Those figures were straight up to win.
Monday morning the sharps bets will come rolling in. The public has changed the betting from Bills as 4 pt favorites to 2.5 pt favorites in the last week. Odds don't normally change much the day of a game but we will be able to see who the sharps are betting on.

CoachWLTW-L%
Sean McDermott
45​
30​
0​
0.6​
Anthony Lynn
0​
1​
0​
0​
Rex Ryan
15​
16​
0​
0.484​
Doug Marrone
15​
17​
0​
0.469​
Chan Gailey
16​
32​
0​
0.333​
Perry Fewell
3​
4​
0​
0.429​
Dick Jauron
24​
33​
0​
0.421​
Mike Mularkey
14​
18​
0​
0.438​
Gregg Williams
17​
31​
0​
0.354​
Wade Phillips
29​
19​
0​
0.604​
Marv Levy+
112​
70​
0​
0.615​
Hank Bullough
4​
17​
0​
0.19​
Kay Stephenson
10​
26​
0​
0.278​
Chuck Knox
37​
36​
0​
0.507​
Jim Ringo+
3​
20​
0​
0.13​
Lou Saban
68​
45​
4​
0.601​
Harvey Johnson
2​
23​
1​
0.08​
John Rauch
7​
20​
1​
0.259​
Joe Collier
13​
16​
1​
0.448​
Buster Ramsey
11​
16​
1​
0.407​

Wade Phillips is a guy they should have stuck with for while.
But oh, no, Ralph Wilson had to meddle!

Wilson pitched a nutty in 2000 when Wade refused to fire his 1st year STs coach Ronnie Jones after an 8-8 season and missing the playoffs. Wilson wanted him fired.
Things got heated when Wilson issued an ultimatum.
"If I have to replace any of my coaches, I'm not going to coach your team," Phillips said.
"Then you're not going to coach," said Wilson.
And that was that.

It was a decision Ralph Wilson would later regret as he went through 7 HCs from 2000 to 2014 when Pegula bought the team.

The idea as well that he has hit his ceiling is just absolutely ridiculous. There's two ways to take that, and neither of them work:

1) He CAN'T improve. It's physically impossible for him to develop a stronger arm, to improve his athleticism or pocket presence, accuracy, throwing mechanics, or timing. It's mentally impossible for him to learn and grow, to better understand the offense, his receivers, the defensive players around the league, schemes and tendencies, or situational football. Despite playing only a dozen games in his career, it's IMPOSSIBLE for him to ever get better before he retires. Obviously such an assertion is rubbish. No one is ever a finished product. We improve via effort and experience, and the amount of both poured into him as a football player will grow, not shrink, over time. Ergo, he can improve.

2) He WON'T improve. Despite it being possible, he's at the peak of his career. Even though he went from a passer rating of 87.1 in his first 4 games to a passer rating of 111.7 in his last 4, and despite it being possible for him to improve, he won't any further. The greatest coach of all time? Doesn't matter, wasted on him. His universally praised intelligence and work ethic? It'll amount to nothing, his progress will stop immediately. The roster surrounding him? It'll never perform above its current level. This to me is the even more insane assertion, as it flies directly in the face of all available evidence. It's like watching a fire spread and saying as the kitchen goes up "yeah but it won't spread any further from here". As Chevs said, we've seen nothing BUT improvement, why on Earth would we think it'll stop now?

Just look at Josh Allen. These comments from Belichick: “Where it was three years ago, completion percentage, passer rating, decision making, production, it has just gone up. It’s risen at a really remarkable rate. It’s just remarkable how good he has become. Last year, this year, he’s built on that, what it was when he came into the league, but he’s really made tremendous improvement and has a lot of command of the offense … He doesn’t get fooled much by anything. It’s really, really impressive to watch how he’s developed there.” What evidence is there that coaches around the league won't be saying exactly the same thing about Mac Jones 3 years from now? Which, considering how much better he is than Josh Allan as a rookie, is understandably terrifying to the rest of the league, but even with that the idea he's hit his ceiling is a fantasy bordering on delusion. All they're really saying is "I sure Hope he doesn't improve further, or else my team is in a lot of trouble!"

This is not a video game. Players aren't balanced against each other. Just because one is way stronger out of the gate, doesn't mean his growth attributes get nerfed or an artificial ceiling gets imposed to ensure all other choices are equally viable. Do you know the rookie who has had the single greatest improvement between his first 4 games and most recent 4 games? I honestly had no idea, so I looked it up. Trevor Lawrence, the #1 overall pick, went from a passer rating average of 67.9 in his first 4 games to 69.6 in his most recent 4 (an improvement of 1.7 points). Zach Wilson went from an average of 64.9 to a whopping 73.1, an improvement of 8.2 points. The rest of the rookies can't even make it into the starting lineup. But yeah, Mac Jones, who went from 87.1 to 111.7, an improvement of 24.6 points, is the one who can't or won't improve. :coffee:
I think a lot Macs success is also the coaching. Belichick always talks about putting his players in the position possible to succeed. Granted Mac, mentally, is light years ahead of the other rookies in this class. What he lacks in "Physical attributes" he makes up for in his ability to identify defensive schemes and diagnose them and audible properly. All the "experts" want is that Madden type of QB 99 across the board. Has he hit his ceiling though? IMO, no, not even close.

How much money did you spend in FA again? :unsure:
Last year there were glaring weaknesses on both sides of the ball. We have addressed those weaknesses. Spending money in FA isn't out of character for Belichick, when we grabbed Gilmore we made him the highest paid Corner in Football. Players worth the money are worth spending on.

It's no different than the Bills, you guys should have a good team, after all the high first round picks you have had, you should be a good team. The difference is when the Bills contracts are up, the team will be dismantled in many areas.

Back