Week 18 Dolphins Gamete thread

Josh McD worked wonders with Mac this year.
My only complaint might be that he never took the training wheels off, but then I see the pick 6 today, and I understand.

Next year, there are no excuses, and I feel like with SO many starters coming back next year, they have to understand that.

Even though I agree with the assessment it has been the same since game 1. I don't know what or who or why the fix is, but it is so unlike the Pats to appear so unprepared at the start of games. Not falling behind on the scoreboard, but no sense of urgency until the game gets out of hand like today. Sure they were within 3 with 4 minutes left, hoping that the other team will just lay down for them, but expecting to come back from a 17 point deficit with 10 minutes or so left is asking a bit much from your opponents. Sure they can make it competitive but I am dumbfounded by the starts this team has shown this season.

It takes at least a year to produce a Jedi Patriot from scratch. We'll know more next year.

any word on Barrmore ?

Looked like a hit on the inside of his knee with force.
Could be a sprained lateral collateral ligament or a bone bruise of his knee with an outside chance of an ACL

The problem with the offense is not the coach with 4 rings.

The four rings are meaningless this season. Teams know what we're gonna do. That is on him. It's hard enough to win with the rookie quarterback but it's doubly hard when the defense has a good idea what's coming. You can get away with that when you have Tom Brady.

Even though I agree with the assessment it has been the same since game 1. I don't know what or who or why the fix is, but it is so unlike the Pats to appear so unprepared at the start of games. Not falling behind on the scoreboard, but no sense of urgency until the game gets out of hand like today. Sure they were within 3 with 4 minutes left, hoping that the other team will just lay down for them, but expecting to come back from a 17 point deficit with 10 minutes or so left is asking a bit much from your opponents. Sure they can make it competitive but I am dumbfounded by the starts this team has shown this season.

Well, keep in mind there is a rookie QB under center as well as many 1st year players in a complicated offense. That is why I don't buy in the McDaniels hate. I mean, sure, it does get annoying to see predictable play calling, but in general he's done an amazing job coaching up Mac as well as keeping a fairly explosive offense without star players.

This team is in the playoffs, and in the right circumstances can compete with literally any team in the NFL. This year, that is about all you can ask for. Next year we can set higher expectations I say.

Oh Christ, we are back to blaming Josh.
The int was on Mac. The fumble was on Ted because Dave had some equipment issues.
However I saw some positives with Mac today and it makes me feel even better that we have the right guy going forward.
And I hope Josh comes back as OC to continue working with him.
Let's bring Josh back as the quarterbacks coach and get a new OC.

Just joshing. We all know that won't happen.

The four rings are meaningless this season. Teams know what we're gonna do. That is on him. It's hard enough to win with the rookie quarterback but it's doubly hard when the defense has a good idea what's coming. You can get away with that when you have Tom Brady.

Self-scouting and changing a few things is easier than changing the entire offensive philosophy, scheme and language.

It might be time to stop the conservative play calling . See what Jones can accomplish being aggresive .
View attachment 8804

I mean the game was 27-10 at some point. If they don't attack I don't think they score back to back touchdowns...

The issue were the miscues and the defense giving Tua mulligans for every bad throw. It wasn't due to lack of attacking.

I mean the game was 27-10 at some point. If they don't attack I don't think they score back to back touchdowns...

The issue were the miscues and the defense giving Tua mulligans for every bad throw. It wasn't due to lack of attacking.
Yes, it was. As usual, McD took the first half off and only after they were down bigly did he press the Dolphins.

Too little, too late.

I LOVE the strategy of waiting for the other team to fuck up. However, when WE FUCK UP, the strategy of waiting needs to change sooner that Josh seems to think.

Keep in mind that I am a volunteer hockey coach. :coffee:

Yes, it was. As usual, McD took the first half off and only after they were down bigly did he press the Dolphins.

Too little, too late.

I LOVE the strategy of waiting for the other team to fuck up. However, when WE FUCK UP, the strategy of waiting needs to change sooner that Josh seems to think.

Keep in mind that I am a volunteer hockey coach. :coffee:

Pats were down 14 before McDaniels could blink. I don't see how that can get pinned on him.

Also, if we're going to place blame it better be distributed equally to the defense, because they were pretty shitty most game aside from a few stops here and there. If Pats offense isn't considered explosive, I don't even know what the Dolphins offense can be considered as.

That was the game. Even if they throw the pick and they hold them to 3, it's a different game.

That play combined with the bogus call on Bolden were big. The McCourty drop. That fucking spot, which I still don't understand. There are always a couple of those
to suck on when you lose.

Miami had our number consistently and that is likely due to our limited passing attack. They were able to step up in the box without worrying too much,
but they often shifted just at the snap, keeping Mac off balance, much like Indy and Buffalo did. Yes, I played the blueprint card, but I think it's true. Right now we
have to accept that there is a book on Mac and he's got to develop more, which takes time. We can't get the ball outside the hashes and can't push it downfield
often enough to keep a smart D back on their heels. We need more talent and a more mature Mac Jones who has legit 3rd down option besides Meyers because
James White might never come walking back in that locker room. His loss was critical because nobody could cover him. We need another dynamic guy they
can't cover and Jonnu Smith isn't, apparently, that guy. Or anybody else on the roster.

On D, we haven't attempted to pressure anybody in recent memory and I thought that was an area of real progress earlier in the year. We play soft all the time
in an attempt to wait for a mistake that doesn't always come. If we're saving it up for the playoffs, then it wouldn't be unprecedented, but I just can't understand
where it all the pressure disappeared to if it isn't coached that way.

I figured we'd have a rough go down there, because we almost always do. The spread seemed absurd to me. Those guys recently won 7 straight and we
never forced Tua into any bad decisions or to even think twice very often. He looked like he did when 'Bama was cruising against Western Carolina. Like one of those
games when we'd let Jay Feeley or another stiff have career games because we let them get warmed up and temporarily feeling like maybe they didn't suck after all.

I never loved that theory. Seems to me if you bring heat on a guy that has issues then it's a fundamentally better way to play, but--- what do I know?

If I just watched the games Miami played versus us the past two years I'd think Flores was a hell of a coach. His players play hard and they aren't pussies like before
he took over. They outhit us again on both sides of the line. Elandon Roberts was an average player here, at best, but he looks like a monster against us. We haven't shown
any fire on D in about a month and a half and I can't explain that.

I always hate the world for a few hours after a Pats loss, but this one wasn't exactly a shock. We don't have any legit chance to do anything in the playoffs, but it's
been a positive season and I'll come around in a day or two and look for something to feel hopeful about.

So we want the Chargers to win tonight yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back